No announcement yet.

Royal Viking Star : Images, photos and stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off course they would have had to enlarge the galley areas and maybe put in some new equipments - I totally did not think about that. It wasn't in my mind at all, but that makes a lot of sense. It's been a while since I served on those class of ships, so my memory may be a bit vague, but some things will forever be strong and present in my memory.

That being said, I miss those years in Royal Viking Line.... I would probably do anything to go back to that time of life.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      Very impressive. She looks very old and rusty on this picture.
      Ralf, she was only 9 years old in this photo, I think that the all the rust must be from all the cutting and burning that must have taken place during the halving process, all the bare metal being exposed to the weather.......

Cheers Frank

Comment

Sad to see all the wonderful images we have collected up through the years, have now all been lost due to the greed of corporations like the Photobucket - may they go belly up and stop existing sooner than soon.

Here are some new images of the Black Watch... ex. Royal Viking Star: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...ay-2017/page10

2017_12_31 MAVIC RAW-NewYearsEve-BlackWatch-DJI_0038 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Jan-O,

a nice photo of the Black Watch...Is there any way that we can upload our photos direct to the site?

Comment

Hi Frank - re directly uploading, I'm afraid that due to the complexity and size of the site and the way that it's hosted we can't provide that functionality. J-O pays for the software and web hosting himself, and we have no other sources of income to cover the costs of storing tens of thousands of photos, much though we'd love to.

More information in the 'Help' link at the top of the page, but basically we all use photo hosting systems or our own IT infrastructure to put the photos on. There are plenty of well featured, free, systems out there - Flickr being one example. Photobucket is terminally out of favour with most of our members due to their decision to charge (a lot!) for allowing photos hosted by them to be accessed by 'third party' sites like ours. A lot of our members are extremely unhappy about that decision, especially those that have hundreds of photos that now need to move - or just disappear.

Shout if you need help, and one of us is bound to be able to help - which one of us will probably depend on which hosting service you choose.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that info Mark, I will have a look around........I have waited this long to see if Photobucket changed their mind but it doesn't look like they will........

Comment

Hello everybody, it looks like that Photobucket is working again......

Comment

Originally posted by Frankp View Post
                  Hello everybody, it looks like that Photobucket is working again......
                  Only for some, sadly.... some of my images are missing and will probably not be back.

And yes, hello.... how is it going at your end?

Comment

Hello Jan, I am fine at the moment.

Regarding Photobucket who knows what is going on, maybe they have reinstated some accounts with a view to asking for money at a later date....

cheers Frank

Comment

• Seagull
                      Seagull commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hello there Frank, good to see you back here on CVF
                      As for Photobucket, I am inclined to see the latest change in a more positive light. There is likely to have been changes in their management personnel following such a massive PR disaster. So I have now no moral objection in continuing to pay the reasonable annual sum for my existing account for as long as it supports 3rd party hosting to CVF. It was chance timing that I hadn’t already closed it like Jan-Olav and others had - you can read the saga of how this happened in the Problems with Photobucket thread here:
                      http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...562#post210562

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Could it be that Photobucket is able to restore old accounts and pictures to returning customer that sign up for a paid account?
                      I have no idea if this is so. Just a thought.
                  Working...
                  X