Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we are in Puerto Vallarta Mexico (I think) me and a few friends used hire a boat and go fishing when possible, I took this photo on the way back to port...

Comment

Here is a close up photo of the Bow damage...

Comment

Here we have fine collection of cruise/passenger ships in New York in 1980's, would anybody like to have a go at naming them...

Comment

• pakarang
          pakarang commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me give it quick a try.... I think I know some of these....

From port to starboard:

Royal Viking Star
          - could it be Fairsky?
          - then Fairstar
          Queen Elizabeth 2
          Song of Norway
          Britanis and the Bermuda Star....

• Frankp
          Frankp commented
          Editing a comment
          Very good Jan, you have most of them

RV S
          Oceanic
          Atlantic
          QE 2
          Nordic Prince
          Bermuda Star
          Britanis

That is according to photo comments.................
          Last edited by Frankp; November 24th, 2016, 17:26. Reason: text

Interesting pictures, i am so glad, that all is working again!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Here we have some maintenance being carried out on the Southward. I took the photo from the stern of the Royal Viking Star, we were together in St. Thomas, the Virgin Islands in 1974 - 1976..

Do you think that the Health and Safety people would allow anything like that today?

Comment

Here we have some maintenance being carried out on the Southward. I took the photo from the stern of the Royal Viking Star, we were together in St. Thomas, the Virgin Islands in 1974 - 1976..

Comment

Awesome! These are the years of cruising which I remember and miss, not the colossal ships of today. There is a certain connection to motifs such as these.

Yes, definately Saint Thomas and Havensight! Gawd - that's a dock I've been at many times, not to forget all those years at acnhor and driving the tender in and out of the downtown pier.

Wonderful memories, and wonderful ships...
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes Jan, I agree with you they were wonderful ships, wonderful times and wonderful memories.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are on the Royal Viking Star on a North Cape cruise in 1976 arriving in Bergen (I think) our home port..The Chief Mate is Laegeland (spelling?) he was also relief Staff Captain and I believe that he was later Captain. I can not remember the name of the OS. it will come to me sometime (maybe)

Comment

I think the Chief could be Langeland, and I do think he served as a Captain later in his career. I do recall the name vaguely.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I have just seen a mention of one of the former R V Star crew members Stella Aberli she is the one who organized the Bi-anual Royal Viking Line get- togethers.
                    Well here is a photo of her and Bruno, they are sun-bathing on the crew deck of the R V Star.

Comment

Here is the the Royal Viking Star being lengthened in 1981, from the 30th August - 5th October she was in the Lloyd Werft, Bremerhaven Germany

Last edited by Frankp; April 16th, 2017, 11:50. Reason: Additional text

Comment

Very impressive. She looks very old and rusty on this picture.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks for posting this Frank. Although one knows that ships can and have been lengthened, it is still rather amazing to see a photo of one chopped in two like that!

Comment

I remember this image from my "past" at Royal Viking Line....

Interestingly, it looks like they are replacing some big galley equipment too (the open hole beneath the forward part of the wrap-around promenade deck).

Wasn't that the location of the main galley, or is my memory that bad?

Comment

Jan-Olav your memory is ok, the galley was around that area, on the deck below were that hole is was the access door to the foredeck and a corridor up to the galley. the door also led to the crew recreation (day) room on the port side (right as we are looking).......They were probably expanding some of the ranges in the galley to cope with the extra 300 passengers....

Cheers Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X