No announcement yet.

Royal Viking Star : Images, photos and stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank, I've just sent you a PM in answer to yours because I see where it went wrong. But my Messages box is playing up and my PM is not to be seen anywhere. If you haven't had my message let me know and I'll repeat it here. It's quite simple.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you wherrygirl for your PM and instructions, it looks like it is now working (it is easy now that I know how).........Cheers Frank
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are back onboard the R V Star now the Black Watch it seemed strange returning to the ship after 36 years.......

Last edited by Frankp; November 11th, 2016, 18:11.

Comment

Onboard the black Watch in Rouen 2012

Comment

Well done for cracking it Frank - Ivy is our expert in supporting people fighting Photobucket!!

Looking forward to seeing more photos as they arrive.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Here is the funnel from the Royal Viking Sea in Singapore mid 1970's

Comment

This was taken on a North Cape cruise in 1976, I think that the place is Honningsvåg

Comment

This is the Royal Viking Star in Madeira some time between 1973 -1976

Last edited by Frankp; November 11th, 2016, 18:23. Reason: edit text

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What elegant lines.

Here we are on the R V Star and we are coming along side the pier in San Francisco and the Royal Viking Sky is on the other side 1973 -1976

Comment

Here is one of the many crew parties (fancy dress) that we used have onboard the Royal Viking Star 1973-1976, maybe some ex-crew member can see themselves.....

Comment

There will never be acruise line like the Royal Viking Line ever again, even though Viking Ocean Cruises comes pretty close.

But that being said, "THOSE WERE THE YEARS!"
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You are quite right Jan-Olav....Those were the years.
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we have the Royal Viking Star still showing the Bow damage that we recieved during a storm in the North Atlantic while crossing from Southampton to New York in 1973....Note the Bergen City flag on the bow, the Royal Viking Line flag was flying from the top mast......

I am not sure of the place were I took the photo at first I thought that it was somewhere in the Caribbean but then again it could be Africa or the South Pacific..Maybe somebody out there knows.

Comment

I feel so extremely fortunate that I had the chance to experience working on Royal Viking Line, an experience I could not have been without. I'm also so fortunate to be sailing with a Chief Engineer from that time. Back then, he was a hotel repairman, and I was a blue boy.... now, he is the Chief Engineer and I'm the Captain, and we are on the same ship and same shift as well! We often talk about the Royal Viking years, and it's always exciting remembering the old days.

I have no idea where this image could have been taken but Africa strikes me at first..... could it have been Mombasa, Kenya?
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hello Jan, we did not visit Mombasa during my time onboard, in 1973 we did a 60 day cruise from New York to the Caribbean, South America and Africa..We did visit many ports on West coast of Africa, and like you I was thinking that the place and the uniforms looked like it was an Ex British colony.....Maybe...

I am glad to hear that you are still thinking about and discussing the Royal Viking Ships, was the Chief there in the 1970's....
                          Last edited by Frankp; November 15th, 2016, 23:10. Reason: Added text

Comment

Here we are myself and Marina on the 2012 cruise, going to the Captains welcome party, later on when I got chance to speak to Captain Neerland I was very surprised to learn that he was the only Norwegian in the crew, how times change, when I was onboard the majority of the crew were Norwegian..............

Comment

Here we have the first Captain of the Royal Viking Star, Tobjorn Saetre, the occasion was his 60th birthday party it was held in the Bergen Lounge and all the crew were invited...

Comment

Working...
                              X