Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Ralf and nari for your nice comments.

Maybe she would show off her best side since she was severely delayed last time she sailed north from Tromsø.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

"Lofoten" once again south Tromsø strait yesterday evening.She had less light on than usual,so it got a little dark.She passed outside of my home 2 minutes before midnight.

Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

• Oistein
        Oistein commented
        Editing a comment
        You master the art of following objects in motion. Nice photos

Thank you for your nice comment, Oistein.
      Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

I agree! You are the master of panning-photography! You nail it again and again!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I make Oistein and Pakarangs words mine, no doubt. I'm very impressed. The nice thing is that we move into the dark season, and so can go out and practise..., to get up to your level.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Azimut
            Azimut commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you pakarang and Sterkoder
            Very grateful for the comments from you both.

"Lofoten" southbound to Tromsø last night.

Best wishes from
          Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Azimut View Post
            "Lofoten" southbound to Tromsø last night.

This is just ----- well, perfect is a word that seems to weak to describe the beauty of the image!

I need you to give me a photo-course some day!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Lofoten" southbound tonight in to Tromsø.

Last edited by Azimut; November 6th, 2017, 20:49.
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Again, a wonderful night -time and almost surreal photo of my favourite ship. I will be on her for some Norway winter sailing from 23rd January. Still a long way off!!

• Azimut
                Azimut commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for the comment,nari
                Hope you get a wonderful travel with your favorite ship in january.

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Azimut for your good wishes for my 6th Lofoten trip. I will be avoiding LHR and flying to Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam and then across the pond to Bergen. with KLM operated by Etihad, it could be interesting, I hope.

This may mean the end of "Lofoten" as a hurtigrute from 2020...
              New requirements for universal design may cause the oldest hurtigrute ship "Lofoten" to be retired when the new tender period comes into force from 2020.
              Read this in an article in local newspaper iTromsø this afternoon.

http://www.itromso.no/ntb/iriks/2017...s-15563216.ece
              Its only in Norwegian,but is easy to translate.

Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Veery difficult speculations. If we all are honest, it today is an anachronism to see her on the regular route. With less passenger capacity, no today's style cargo competence, no entrance for fork lifters or cars. Just kept in life by the loving nostalgic people like us, and the specialities of a state contract and somehow protected by the national heritage authorities. So. Her end in regular service will come. That is for sure. But the time frame? Money will tell. If who ever will state a date, she will be fully booked until then. And maybe sail a couple of months more, as long as she will be booked. And i am convinced, she will survive in a Harald Jarl/Serenissma style. But it will mark the end of the most characterful and defining period of Hurtigruten, This period formed the name and the brand. She will be always the last part of the heart and soul of that what we know as Hurtigruten. And she will be followed up by something new and different. And we will decide, if we like it or not.

Saw that "news" as well.... and thought, waow, that is sad news to hear.

And, Ralf says it so extremely well - she will be the end of all that was good about Hurtigruten.

Actually, Ralf is putting all my thoughts into that perfect reply!

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with the sentiments expressed above although for me her disappearance will mean no more coastal voyages (too many passengers) for me. If she is removed, maybe she could have another life somewhere but my concern is that she will lie in an Asian bay slowly rusting....but that may be too pessimistic. If she can go the way Harald Jarl did - good.

"Lofoten" north Tromsø strait tonight with christmas lights on.

Last edited by Azimut; December 6th, 2017, 19:20.
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

• Tommi
                Tommi commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect!

• Azimut
                Azimut commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for your comment,Tommi

Classic Azimut photography - brilliant.

Re the earlier comments - and just in the interest of balance - yes, it will be terribly sad if the Gamle Dame has to retire, she's beautiful and very special - but my family, English and Norwegian sides, will both continue to hugely enjoy seeing, visiting, travelling on the Hurtigruter of all generations. We do each have our favourite ship for different reasons, but what's special for many of us is the Norwegian coast and the people in every port between Bergen and Kirkenes, not to mention the huge variety of people that travel on the ships. It would also be a shame to lose sight of the fact that for many of us the ships are a lifeline to the north, saving thousands of miles of road travel and keeping our families within reach.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Please allow me here to state my impression of Norwegian mentality (maybe i am totally wrong):
                I noticed that it is common to draw very soon a worst case scenario in a discussion, so that the others are shocked in a way of "no, we wont let it to come that far" to find then a compromise. In Germany we are more polite and anticipate possible compromises in the beginning of a discussion in order to not offend the other party.
                So my expectation is that there will be a reasonable solution soon. We say: nothing is eaten as hot as it is cooked

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, it seems that each country has its own way to discuss....In France we go on strike!!!!!
            Working...
            X