::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both for your comments.

"Nordstjernen" inbound to Tromsø this morning from one of her many trips this month.

Last edited by Azimut; April 23rd, 2018, 19:36.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

So beautiful - so very beautiful.

One thing I started thinking about when I saw this image.... the portholes on Nordstjernen all have white frames. Did also Polarlys - her now long lost younger sister - also have white frames on the portholes?

As far as I can remember, Nordstjernen has always had white frames on the portholes.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Nordstjernen" from Tromsø tonight on its Arctic ski & sail trip which runs through these places Lyngen - Bjørnøya - Hornsund - Isfjorden - Billefjorden and finally to Longyearbyen.
        She is now ready for the Svalbard cruise through the summer.
        The banner on the ship side says peak performance.

Last edited by Azimut; May 7th, 2018, 21:06.
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

Imagine if the ship had been sold abroad and we would never get the chance to see such maritime p0rn so frequently.... that would be so tragic.

For each year that passes by, I feel more and more elated that she is still in use in Norway and not some far away country with no respect for her heritage and history.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

On July 19th I had enough heat in Stockholm and started my journey to "cooler latitudes".
            The first flight went to Oslo with SAS.Oslo turned out to be as warm temperature as Stockholm, so I continued to Longyearbyen.

Before our cruise with Nordstjernen, we had a night on Hurtigruten's Coal Miners' cabins. Old houses from the mining period that today have been upgraded to simple but stylish hotel rooms.

A typical Svalbard dinner, reindeer burger.

Longyearbyen has 2100 inhabitants with all kinds of different nationalities.
            Swedes are the third most common nationality, after of course, Norwegians and perhaps a little more unexpected Thai.

The town has around 40 international cruise ship calls during the season. (Plus 250 calls from the expedition ships). This day was AIDAluna in port with 2,500 guests.

No doubt about which the most beautiful ship in Svalbard this season is... She hasn't even any competitiors…

I longed to get on board, but while they were preparing the ship for new passengers, we took a 3 hours long sightseeing around the town to the museum and camp Barentz.

To be continued….

Comment

The check-in was not organized at all. Three full coaches arrived at the same time.The bag was left on the dock (without any marking) and then there was a long wait in the queue to check in with two women sitting in the narrow aulan.
              Could we not only have been able to check in everything at the hotel? To top it all, there was a large group of Chinese high school students on board, which did not improve the situation. In total we were 110 passengers on board and 35 in the crew.

The front salon with cozy colours.

Our cabin a D4, one of the bigger, without toilet and shower.

The bar

Aft saloon

Comment

The old cafeteria is used as a part of the restaurant.

A memory from the costal service.

In the restaurant we had the same table during the whole cruise at every meal.

The first dinner was buffet, with a great choice of cold and warm dishes.

Our first stop was at Barentsburg.

We docked in the multi-cargo port.

We were divied into 5 different groups based on language. (Norwegian, English, German, French and Chinese).

A few hundred steps later we arrived in the small Russian village with 400 inhabitants.
                At the beginning of the 20th century coal mining started here and the village began to build.
                The Norwegian company that operated the mine was originally bought by a Dutch company in 1920. The new company, however, had problems with the economy and was sold to the Soviet State in 1932. The village was occupied by Germans during World War II, but after the war the Russians returned and
                runs the mine yet today.
                Those living here now fly in with charters from Russia and Ukraine and then work on 3- or 6-month contracts.

The locals invited us to a Russian folk show.
                Even though we did not understand many words, it was fun to see how they managed to keep the joy of this, in my opinion, depressing environment.

Thank you for the visit Barentsburg.

To be continued….

Comment

Great to see your report Kim - and nostalgic for me, especially as I was last in Svalbard aboard Nordstjernen on what was then thought to be her very last trip for Hurtigruten!

Comment

WAOW! Thank you very much Kim for taking us on board and a tour of the ship.

She looks so beautiful - just as I remember her. Well maintained and in top shape. What an amazing vessel!

Comment

A great start to a really interesting trip report, looking forward to see how it goes on.

Comment

Yes! Finally someone on an actual trip aboard nordstjernen. I am really curious about your experiences. Even with chinese travellers, they really don‘t know much about traditions. We experienced that on our whale safari in andenes ( report will follow ) . Thank you very much so far!
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you so much everyone!

Let's continue…

We continued our journey along the west coast of Spitsbergen.

The breakfast was international and contained Everything you needed for a day ashore.

Just after breakfast did we reach the Magdalenafjord, one of Svalbard's most famous fjords. The fjord is 10 km long, not long compared to some of the fjords on the norwegian mainland.

The Magdalenafjord was discovered by William Barents in 1596.

We anchored just outside Graveneset and had our first landing with the expeditions boats here. The passengers were divided into 5 different Groups based on langauge.

Since the only thing you should leave on Svalbard is foot prints, it's important to have clean shoes.

Off we go...

What a Beauty!

Comment

Graveneset was the place where the English whalers came to bury their dead in the 17th Century.

Finally something green on Svalbard.

I took a dip in the ocean, next to the ice floes.

Comment

At lunch time we left the fjord behind us.

Great that she still is registred in Norway, though she now is in the international register NIS.

We went through the Sørgatt before we came to the Smeerenburgfjord.

The Smeerenburg Glacier

Quite boring place to be ashore on, we just walked some 200 meters closer to the glacier, that was it.

I love this blue colour….

Calving… and everyone just said "wow"....

At Amsterdamøya I met my best friends, with the same motto in life as me, "take it easy".

The first three courses dinner with pork Loin for main course. Great flavour!

We countinued to the Raudfjord to search for wildlife.

The galley

Me and my dad had been alone in front all evening, when we heard an a
                              nnouncement and then we were not alone anymore….

One of the guides had spotted a male polar bear at the peninsula Reindsdyrflya. We stayed here for half an hour to observe this marvelous animal.

This night we anchored up on the inside of the peninsula. It was really nice to be able to slee without any engine noise (which I love, but maybe not the whole night).

To be continued….

Comment

Great continuation with such a lot of marvellous pictures. Especially 2098/2, 2099/6 and 11. Beautiful motifs of the vessel! Very impressive!
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X