Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Capt. Berge is the only Norwegian on board at this point. All other crewmembers are Philiponos. This guy watched the refueling hose

Comment

Thank you so much for posting.
        I love the pictures.
        I am happy to see her in beautiful shape.
        I hope, technically it is the same.
        Again, Thank you!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Nice set of pix of a nice vessel. Thanks.
          Here is her status per DNV-GL Vessel Register: http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/Vess...vesselid=04087
          Due for special survey of class 11/2017.

She is registered in NIS but sailing with passengers on the Norwegian coast with a Pinoy crew??
          How long before Hurtigruten and Fjord 1 will do the same??

Comment

The captain told us yesterday that right now he was the only Norwegian on board, all the rest were Philipinos (Pinoy?).
            The reason for this is that if they used Norwegian crew members, the expenses would be so high it would not be a operational NORDSTJERNEN and she would rust and tear alongside a quay somewhere.
            I forgot to ask about the crew when on cruise. Does it mean the hotel manager, waiters, chefs and other cooks and so on also are foreigners with low salaries?
            How much are we willing to accept to have a sailing veteran ship under Norwegian flag?
            That said, I never said Philipino sailors are second to none. I belive they take their jobs serious, they work hard, they are polite and they have a good knowhow of things.
            But is it ok to put Norwegians on shore from Norwegian ships and replace them with foreign cheap labour?
            That is a big discussion and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
              The captain told us yesterday that right now he was the only Norwegian on board, all the rest were Filipinos (Pinoy?).
              The reason for this is that if they used Norwegian crew members, the expenses would be so high it would not be a operational NORDSTJERNEN and she would rust and tear alongside a quay somewhere.
              I forgot to ask about the crew when on cruise. Does it mean the hotel manager, waiters, chefs and other cooks and so on also are foreigners with low salaries?
              How much are we willing to accept to have a sailing veteran ship under Norwegian flag?
              That said, I never said Filipino sailors are second to none. I believe they take their jobs serious, they work hard, they are polite and they have a good knowhow of things.
              But is it ok to put Norwegians on shore from Norwegian ships and replace them with foreign cheap labour?
              That is a big discussion and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to start.
              You are right, this is NOT the right place to discus this, but I'll explain why I brought it up here:
              There are many ships under Norwegian (NIS) flag with all foreign crews, incl. Masters. That is not the issue, but the fact that Nordstjernen is trading coastwise in Norway, which has NOT been allowed for vessels under NIS flag, incl.working in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea.There have been some recent changes to this rule though: http://svw.no/aktuelt/aktuelt/2016/m...ship-register/

BTW: Colour Line has been banned from changing from NOR flag, even though they trade between Norway and Sweden, Denmark and Germany, while Fjordline are using Danish flag vessels.(??)

NO, Fillipino seamen ARE "second to none": http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...second-to-none
              ​They serve in all positions and on most ships in the world fleet, incl. anything from Cruise ships to tugs, even when operating in Polar waters. Hurtigruten are using them on their ships when operating outside the coastal trade.

I have been dealing with Filipino seamen of all ranks and at all levels of society for a VERY long time and find most of them as well qualified as any other nationality, in most cases (As with all other nationalities)

PS> I worked with a Pinoy Captain who had been Master on Jebsen ships in the Svalbard trade for many seasons in the 1980s.

But I agree, if there is any interest in continuing this conversation, let's do it in another thread.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok, sorry. I used 'second to none' in the wrong way as Norwegians use the word 'forfordelt' ;-)
                What I ment was that I belive Philipino sailors are as good as any nations sailors, and I'm happy to read we agree.
                That said, I'm sad (as I'm sure you are) that Norwegian sailors are "squeezed" out of their positions only to be replaced by employees from so called "low cost countries". I have nothing more to add in this discussion, and as you suggest, let us continue in a designated thread if there are any interest :-)
                Last edited by Sterkoder; May 7th, 2017, 18:29.

NOTE: This is filmed by a guy at Averøy, west of Kristiansund. Lofoten enroute north, Nordstjernen on her way to Bergen, but turned around and sailed for a few minutes with her old friend :-)

Comment

"Nordstjernen" out from Tromsø this evening with destination Svalbard via Honningsvåg.A new season for this old lady around Svalbard.Great to see her sailing.

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

Lovely image of Nordstjernen ♥ She was in Trondheim too. I usually take a look at Marine Traffic while I'm finishing my breakfast coffee each morning, and my most favourite ships have been in such super places recently and interesting itineraries. It's so good to put your photos into their stories. Thank you so much Bengt for this post, and in Fram's thread too of course!

Comment

Thank you very much for your comment,Cecilia
                    Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Wonderful image sailing north out of Tromsø.... she was in Trondheim too recently, as indicated above, but as it was also a full work day for me, I didn't get any great shots of her. I got one shot taken with iphone through the binoculars, and thats about it. I was planning to send the drone out to catch her, but as my wings are not water proofed, that plan had to be abandoned.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                      X