No announcement yet.

::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These latest additions is a thrill for my heart, and surely, a thrill for any lover of this ship! Thank you so very much for sharing!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you for your nice comment.

"Nordstjernen" also looks stunning, she is being well taken care of by the new owner.
      My father was on the maiden voyage with her from Trondheim in 1956.
      He thinks she looks amazing after all these years
      Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

• pakarang
        pakarang commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess she is now one of the world's five oldest passenger ships still in service.

I know we also have SKIBLADNER and a few others and I'm sure there are some others around the world.

Pretty amazing service life for this old lady.

Muster Drill in Longyearbyen, August 2015

Departing Longyearbyen

Comment

Awesome shots of the old Lady in what I think is the most suitable landscape for this ship. She fits in this landscape like a hand in a glove.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful photos. She is indeed a remarkable vessel, but I presume her engines are not the original - i believe Lofoten is the only one with engines in original condition?
          To me, the funnel on Nordstjernen is rather large for her size...or am I just being picky?

You are right with your suggestion Nari. From 1955 to 1983 she had a dieselmechanic engine by Burmester & Wain with 3.000hp.
        In 1983 a German MaK (Maschinenbau Kiel) engine
        8M453AK with .3600hp was installed.

The funnel is still showing the classc steamship design with engine midships. She was built at Blohm and Voss 1954, as well as one and two years later Ragnvald Jarl and Finnmarken. These two however had the engine more in the back and modern funnels.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Happy birthday to NORDSTJERNEN!!!! 60 years young today, 24. February 2016

(Picture from 27.07.2014, Kristiansund)
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That is a very nice shot, Sterkoder.... can you imagine, she's 60 years old! That's twice the accepted age to be classified as a veteran. Pretty amazing achievement.

Comment

I took this picture of Nordstjernen in Herøystramen April 5, 2002, the day after the naming of Finnmarken in Ulsteinvik.

Regards; Sigve.
              ---
              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                And may she sail for many more years to come.
                I remember travelling on a small ship in British Columbia out into the waters of the Pacific; she was called the Lady Rose, built in England, 112 years old (in 2005) and around 95 tons. Very well cared for by the "locals".
                Last edited by nari; April 2nd, 2016, 01:41.

Nordstjernen will come to Hamburg from 16. to 18. September 2016. (After the cancellation last year, I hope so)
              This year open ship is planned, also a day trip through the Kiel Canal on Sunday.
              I plan a visit in Hamburg and I hope I will manage to post some photos later.
              Somebody else interested in a visit?

Comment

MS Nordstjernen, arrival in Hamburg 16. September 2016

Comment

The fire brigade from Blohm and Voss was greeting. (First picture, the little cars in the middle.)

Comment

Nordstjernen moored at „Überseebrücke“ near the Cap San Diego.

Comment

Some activities on board, a check of the lifeboats?

Comment

I like this photo

Comment

Superb pictures. Nordstjernen together with Cap San Diego is a flash back in former times. #2051/3 is an interesting angle. Looks like a round bow. It must have been a great experience for the passengers to be allowed to stay at the bow. Thank you for sharing, Eilun!
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• nari
                            nari commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for those photos - but no photo of the cap san diego herself? Still going after all these years and one of the best looking vessels ever...
                        Working...
                        X