Nordstjernen PC
    by Grindøya, on Flickr
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      Another lovely lady in Tromsø . I have yet to see her myself in her new-old livery!

Imagine if we could have more of those old-generation ships still sailing the coast with their original funnel liveries.

Not to be overly critical, but the current funnel livery of the ships of today, doesn't have any history and doesn't give me any attachment to the ships. It's almost as they have lost their identity and history along the way.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

"Nordstjernen" docked at pier 1 south in Tromsø.

Nordstjernen PC
      by Grindøya, on Flickr
      Best wishes from
      Bengt Domben

Comment

• Azimut
        Azimut commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Tommi
        My father looked at the picture and said it reminded him of when they traveled with her ​​from Trondheim on her maiden voyage in 1956 when he was in the military

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes indeed. It's however not too common to see the flags arranged in that way, and that really dresses the ship. The usual "Oldtime Hurtigruten style" is to lead the flags from the fore mast and down, and from the aft mast and down.

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderful sight!

Nordstjernen with all her decoration flags up looks awesome!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

MS Nordstjernen reinforces Hurtigruten on Svalbard from 2015

Hurtigruten reinforces its presence on Svalbard with another old trotter.
        Hurtigruten is a wholly owned subsidiary Spitsbergen Travel already well established in the archipelago through the expedition ship MS Fram. Now also MS Nordstjernen go into traffic on Svalbard.

Focusing strategic

- This is a strategic investment for years to come. With MS Nordstjernen we complete offer of Svalbard. With 3-4 days at sea can be during a long weekend with the wonderful Longyearbyen and sailing along the northwest coast. This is a niche market only expedition we offer, says CEO Daniel Skjeldam in a statement.

MS Nordstjernen will operate archipelago throughout June, July and August for cruises of 3-4 days, with arrival and departure Longyearbyen.

Success on Svalbard

- Svalbard, Spitsbergen Travel is very important for the group. We are already the main tourism operator in the archipelago, a position we are now strengthening further. We strongly believe that MS Nordstjernen will succeed in his expeditions on Svalbard, continues Skjeldam.

Arctic adventure

MS Nordstjernen is starting its Arctic adventure with a voyage from Bergen on June 1. When the ship visited fjords in western Norway, Alesund, Lofoten, Tromso and Honningsvag / North Cape before continuing to Svalbard.

- Hardly any ship has served Norwegian coast and Svalbard better than wonderful MS Nordstjernen, and we know the ship will be well received in both the Norwegian and the international market, says project manager Hilde Fålun Power in Spitsbergen Travel.

Listed ship

MS Nordstjernen went to the Hurtigruten ships from 1956 to 2012 when she was taken out of regular scheduled services. Since then the ship has been used as a replacement ship and then ship the age of 50, she had covered a distance of 150 times around the equator. In November 2012 the ship was sold to the Inner Nordhordland Steam Boat Club has upgraded the ship in accordance with its provisions of Cultural Heritage. MS Nordstjernen was protected in 2012 and it has also taken care of Paul Gauguin's artistic embellishments in the staircase, dining room and first class lounge.

From newspaper iTromsø
        Åsgeir Johansen
        Best wishes from
        Bengt Domben

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Very good news! And a bit surprising!

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          BIG smile! They just can't do without the old Lady!
          It presumably also frees up Fram for more itineraries elsewhere during her Arctic season.

After Nordstjernen came home from Oslo, they docked at a very familiar place

Nordstjernen by Tom McNikon, on Flickr

Nordstjernen by Tom McNikon, on Flickr
        View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Meanwhile in Oslo a week earlier... Can you all see Nordstjernen?

1814-2014 - Grunnlovskonvoien/The Constitution Convoy by Tom McNikon, on Flickr
          View more photo's at my Flickr photostream blog

Comment

Great new additions, Tom!!!
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Dear friends,

Check out this fantastic ship model that I've come across on the triple-w:

Nordstjernen: http://www.skipshistorie.net/Skipsmo...rdstjernen.htm

Comment

Nordstjernen on her first visit to Trondheim after being "re-born":

Comment

Some more images to share:

A so-called "pakarang" I suppose(?):

Comment

A final bonus for Ralf:

Comment

Thank you so much! Impressing to see the highly strained hull under the fresh paint!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hello everybody! I am new here and glad I found this forum. Thank you for all the lovely fotos of Nordstjernen. She is such a beauty. Especially now with the BDS funnel. I am glad that she is still around and sailing. It would have been a pity if she had ended up like Finnmarken. I did so many tours on her and like that she will go to Svalbard and later on in september to the Baltic. Amazing tours to interesting ports. Hope there will be more in the future.
                        Regards from Stjerna

Comment

Hallo Stjerna, and a big welcome to CVF. There are threads a-plenty here, for ships and also for many, many other topics as well. We look forward to you joining in.
                          If you have any problems, then post them on the first thread on the Index page: Requests, Wishes and Bugs and someone will try and help.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Stjerna
                            Stjerna commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dear wherrygirl! Thank you very much for the warm welcome to CVF. I am looking forward to sharing information about Nordstjernen and the other classic Hurtigruten ships. They are the only ships which warm my heart and make me happy, when I am on board. Hard to believe that Nordstjernen will turn 60 already next year. I was on board celebrating her 50th birthday and it seems just a moment ago... Hope she will do fine this summer and fall with her Spitsbergen and Baltic voyages. Regards from Stjerna

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Welcome on CVF Stjerna. Hope you enjoy exploring this forum and it's many interesting threads. Maybe you find something else than Nordstjernen that excite you. Looking forward to your posts and pictures from and of Hurtigruten ships and trips, but whatever else that take your fancy is also welcome.
                            If you don't find a suitable thread just start a new one, or go OT on a related thread.
                        Working...
                        X