No announcement yet.

::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAOW! Thank you very much Kim for taking us on board and a tour of the ship.

She looks so beautiful - just as I remember her. Well maintained and in top shape. What an amazing vessel!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A great start to a really interesting trip report, looking forward to see how it goes on.

Comment

Yes! Finally someone on an actual trip aboard nordstjernen. I am really curious about your experiences. Even with chinese travellers, they really don‘t know much about traditions. We experienced that on our whale safari in andenes ( report will follow ) . Thank you very much so far!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you so much everyone!

Let's continue…

We continued our journey along the west coast of Spitsbergen.

The breakfast was international and contained Everything you needed for a day ashore.

Just after breakfast did we reach the Magdalenafjord, one of Svalbard's most famous fjords. The fjord is 10 km long, not long compared to some of the fjords on the norwegian mainland.

The Magdalenafjord was discovered by William Barents in 1596.

We anchored just outside Graveneset and had our first landing with the expeditions boats here. The passengers were divided into 5 different Groups based on langauge.

Since the only thing you should leave on Svalbard is foot prints, it's important to have clean shoes.

Off we go...

What a Beauty!

Comment

Graveneset was the place where the English whalers came to bury their dead in the 17th Century.

Finally something green on Svalbard.

I took a dip in the ocean, next to the ice floes.

Comment

At lunch time we left the fjord behind us.

Great that she still is registred in Norway, though she now is in the international register NIS.

We went through the Sørgatt before we came to the Smeerenburgfjord.

The Smeerenburg Glacier

Quite boring place to be ashore on, we just walked some 200 meters closer to the glacier, that was it.

I love this blue colour….

Calving… and everyone just said "wow"....

At Amsterdamøya I met my best friends, with the same motto in life as me, "take it easy".

The first three courses dinner with pork Loin for main course. Great flavour!

We countinued to the Raudfjord to search for wildlife.

The galley

Me and my dad had been alone in front all evening, when we heard an a
              nnouncement and then we were not alone anymore….

One of the guides had spotted a male polar bear at the peninsula Reindsdyrflya. We stayed here for half an hour to observe this marvelous animal.

This night we anchored up on the inside of the peninsula. It was really nice to be able to slee without any engine noise (which I love, but maybe not the whole night).

To be continued….

Comment

Great continuation with such a lot of marvellous pictures. Especially 2098/2, 2099/6 and 11. Beautiful motifs of the vessel! Very impressive!
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I agree with Ralf here, and today (09:30 local time) The Star arrived in Kristiansund from Ny-Ålesund, Svalbard.
                  Took some pictures in the bad weather with my Pentax, but let me just give you my mobile phone pictures for now.

07:30 UTC (09:30 local) 18th September 2018 in Kristiansund
                  NS1 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

NS2 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

NS3 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

NS4 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

In 2017 the rope was yellow (just a fun fact)
                  NS5 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

NS6 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Do you want to see what kind of boat the captain on board Nordstjernen own and use on his time off? Well, here's RS Hjelm Waage for you (you can spot this RS in the very forst picture of this post, to the far left).
                  SSL27161 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

MS Nordstjernen arriving Tuesday, as seen via my Pentax

​​​​​​SSL27193 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27194 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27195 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

​​​​​​SSL27196 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

She is so good-looking and I'm so thankful you both documented - AND shared these images with me / us.

So thrilled that she is still in active use here in Norway, under Norwegian flag and ownership. She could have been so far away from us that we never got to take shots like this of the ship that we all love so much.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The bridge

Prinsendam joined us by the Monaco glacier.

We did a landing close to the "Texas bar". Unfortunately just a trapper cabin with nothing to drink.

Comment

Enjoying a peaceful landscape.

The guides noted everything we observed.

At lunch time we reached the Monaco glacier (named after Prince Albert the 1st of Monaco).

A bearded seal was watching us…

Comment

Our second landing for the day was in Bockfjord.

Hot springs, just hard to take a swim in those…

The red Mountains

I love this stair hall.

Tonight's dinner was probably the best I have had on a Hurtigruten ship. As a starter we had duck and the main course consisted of a beautiful arctic char.

When we passed the 80th parallell champagne was served.

Evidence…

On the Moffen Island we observed about 70 walruses. I think they have a quite similar Daily Schedule as me?

And then came the mirror….

To be continued…. Just one part left!

Comment

• Seagull
                              Seagull commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I don't want your voyage to end Kim! ...and those last few images of sea and sky are utterly magical

• Sterkoder
                              Sterkoder commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Just look at that beautiful NORDSTJERNEN! I hope we will see her sailing for a long, long time. Thanks for posting pictures for us others to daydream into..., to put it that way.

• nari
                              nari commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Indeed a special ship - so well maintained and elegant, and that is from a devotee of Lofoten......

Finally (for me) the last part of the trip....

Next morning at Blomstrand's peninsula, north of Ny-Ålesund.

Here we had the chance to move free within a limited area. Our guides protected us…

Ice art on the beach.

In Ny-Ålesund an old locomotive from 1917 is conserved.

The world's northest post office is located in Ny-Ålesund.

Another delicious dinner with scallops.

We arrived in Longyearbyen at midnight. We were allowed to stay onboard until 8 AM next morning.

One of the D2 cabins.

I would like to thank you Hurtigruten for this wonderful and inspiring trip. All my expectaions were exceeded and I will be back soon.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing this trip with me and with us. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

What an amazing trip it must have been, and on board such a beautiful vessel. This must have been a trip for the most seasoned traveler and I'm confident that the memories of this trip will remain with you for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
                              X