No announcement yet.

::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice set of pix of a nice vessel. Thanks.
    Here is her status per DNV-GL Vessel Register: http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/Vess...vesselid=04087
    Due for special survey of class 11/2017.

She is registered in NIS but sailing with passengers on the Norwegian coast with a Pinoy crew??
    How long before Hurtigruten and Fjord 1 will do the same??

Comment

The captain told us yesterday that right now he was the only Norwegian on board, all the rest were Philipinos (Pinoy?).
      The reason for this is that if they used Norwegian crew members, the expenses would be so high it would not be a operational NORDSTJERNEN and she would rust and tear alongside a quay somewhere.
      I forgot to ask about the crew when on cruise. Does it mean the hotel manager, waiters, chefs and other cooks and so on also are foreigners with low salaries?
      How much are we willing to accept to have a sailing veteran ship under Norwegian flag?
      That said, I never said Philipino sailors are second to none. I belive they take their jobs serious, they work hard, they are polite and they have a good knowhow of things.
      But is it ok to put Norwegians on shore from Norwegian ships and replace them with foreign cheap labour?
      That is a big discussion and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to start.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        The captain told us yesterday that right now he was the only Norwegian on board, all the rest were Filipinos (Pinoy?).
        The reason for this is that if they used Norwegian crew members, the expenses would be so high it would not be a operational NORDSTJERNEN and she would rust and tear alongside a quay somewhere.
        I forgot to ask about the crew when on cruise. Does it mean the hotel manager, waiters, chefs and other cooks and so on also are foreigners with low salaries?
        How much are we willing to accept to have a sailing veteran ship under Norwegian flag?
        That said, I never said Filipino sailors are second to none. I believe they take their jobs serious, they work hard, they are polite and they have a good knowhow of things.
        But is it ok to put Norwegians on shore from Norwegian ships and replace them with foreign cheap labour?
        That is a big discussion and I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to start.
        You are right, this is NOT the right place to discus this, but I'll explain why I brought it up here:
        There are many ships under Norwegian (NIS) flag with all foreign crews, incl. Masters. That is not the issue, but the fact that Nordstjernen is trading coastwise in Norway, which has NOT been allowed for vessels under NIS flag, incl.working in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea.There have been some recent changes to this rule though: http://svw.no/aktuelt/aktuelt/2016/m...ship-register/

BTW: Colour Line has been banned from changing from NOR flag, even though they trade between Norway and Sweden, Denmark and Germany, while Fjordline are using Danish flag vessels.(??)

NO, Fillipino seamen ARE "second to none": http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...second-to-none
        ​They serve in all positions and on most ships in the world fleet, incl. anything from Cruise ships to tugs, even when operating in Polar waters. Hurtigruten are using them on their ships when operating outside the coastal trade.

I have been dealing with Filipino seamen of all ranks and at all levels of society for a VERY long time and find most of them as well qualified as any other nationality, in most cases (As with all other nationalities)

PS> I worked with a Pinoy Captain who had been Master on Jebsen ships in the Svalbard trade for many seasons in the 1980s.

But I agree, if there is any interest in continuing this conversation, let's do it in another thread.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, sorry. I used 'second to none' in the wrong way as Norwegians use the word 'forfordelt' ;-)
          What I ment was that I belive Philipino sailors are as good as any nations sailors, and I'm happy to read we agree.
          That said, I'm sad (as I'm sure you are) that Norwegian sailors are "squeezed" out of their positions only to be replaced by employees from so called "low cost countries". I have nothing more to add in this discussion, and as you suggest, let us continue in a designated thread if there are any interest :-)
          Last edited by Sterkoder; May 7th, 2017, 18:29.

NOTE: This is filmed by a guy at Averøy, west of Kristiansund. Lofoten enroute north, Nordstjernen on her way to Bergen, but turned around and sailed for a few minutes with her old friend :-)
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Lovely image of Nordstjernen ♥ She was in Trondheim too. I usually take a look at Marine Traffic while I'm finishing my breakfast coffee each morning, and my most favourite ships have been in such super places recently and interesting itineraries. It's so good to put your photos into their stories. Thank you so much Bengt for this post, and in Fram's thread too of course!

Comment

Wonderful image sailing north out of Tromsø.... she was in Trondheim too recently, as indicated above, but as it was also a full work day for me, I didn't get any great shots of her. I got one shot taken with iphone through the binoculars, and thats about it. I was planning to send the drone out to catch her, but as my wings are not water proofed, that plan had to be abandoned.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

How about the maiden arrival of Nordstjernen to Bergen back in 1956 - also from the archives of Norwegian Broadcasting....

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/filmavisen/F...3-1956#t=3m57s

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Nice image Azimut - I had almost completely forgotten about this ship!

She's kind of a way been out of the searchlight. Glad to being reminded about her again, and seeing her again!

Comment

That funnel centre shot, and such a beautiful mood and feeling in your image, Azimut, making it one to treasure.
                  She was always my favourite of the traditional ships in service on the coastal route, much because of the wonderful original art especially in the dining room, the outside deck plan, and the pleasure of sitting in the aft lounge (although the latter always made me think of it as my 'summer ship').

I haven't managed to fit her into my travel plans since she regained that funnel livery, and I understand well what pakarang means in the previous post.
                  Though even in the regular service, the sometimes sassy Lofoten seemed the more dominating of the two ladies, always popular and in the spotlight. But then again, you know what they say about the quiet ones...

Comment

So beautiful - so very beautiful.

One thing I started thinking about when I saw this image.... the portholes on Nordstjernen all have white frames. Did also Polarlys - her now long lost younger sister - also have white frames on the portholes?

As far as I can remember, Nordstjernen has always had white frames on the portholes.

Comment

Imagine if the ship had been sold abroad and we would never get the chance to see such maritime p0rn so frequently.... that would be so tragic.

For each year that passes by, I feel more and more elated that she is still in use in Norway and not some far away country with no respect for her heritage and history.

Comment

On July 19th I had enough heat in Stockholm and started my journey to "cooler latitudes".
                        The first flight went to Oslo with SAS.Oslo turned out to be as warm temperature as Stockholm, so I continued to Longyearbyen.

Before our cruise with Nordstjernen, we had a night on Hurtigruten's Coal Miners' cabins. Old houses from the mining period that today have been upgraded to simple but stylish hotel rooms.

A typical Svalbard dinner, reindeer burger.

Longyearbyen has 2100 inhabitants with all kinds of different nationalities.
                        Swedes are the third most common nationality, after of course, Norwegians and perhaps a little more unexpected Thai.

The town has around 40 international cruise ship calls during the season. (Plus 250 calls from the expedition ships). This day was AIDAluna in port with 2,500 guests.

No doubt about which the most beautiful ship in Svalbard this season is... She hasn't even any competitiors…

I longed to get on board, but while they were preparing the ship for new passengers, we took a 3 hours long sightseeing around the town to the museum and camp Barentz.

To be continued….

Comment

The check-in was not organized at all. Three full coaches arrived at the same time.The bag was left on the dock (without any marking) and then there was a long wait in the queue to check in with two women sitting in the narrow aulan.
                          Could we not only have been able to check in everything at the hotel? To top it all, there was a large group of Chinese high school students on board, which did not improve the situation. In total we were 110 passengers on board and 35 in the crew.

The front salon with cozy colours.

Our cabin a D4, one of the bigger, without toilet and shower.

The bar

Aft saloon

Comment

The old cafeteria is used as a part of the restaurant.

A memory from the costal service.

In the restaurant we had the same table during the whole cruise at every meal.

The first dinner was buffet, with a great choice of cold and warm dishes.

Our first stop was at Barentsburg.

We docked in the multi-cargo port.

We were divied into 5 different groups based on language. (Norwegian, English, German, French and Chinese).

A few hundred steps later we arrived in the small Russian village with 400 inhabitants.
                            At the beginning of the 20th century coal mining started here and the village began to build.
                            The Norwegian company that operated the mine was originally bought by a Dutch company in 1920. The new company, however, had problems with the economy and was sold to the Soviet State in 1932. The village was occupied by Germans during World War II, but after the war the Russians returned and
                            runs the mine yet today.
                            Those living here now fly in with charters from Russia and Ukraine and then work on 3- or 6-month contracts.

The locals invited us to a Russian folk show.
                            Even though we did not understand many words, it was fun to see how they managed to keep the joy of this, in my opinion, depressing environment.

Thank you for the visit Barentsburg.

To be continued….

Comment

Great to see your report Kim - and nostalgic for me, especially as I was last in Svalbard aboard Nordstjernen on what was then thought to be her very last trip for Hurtigruten!

Comment

Working...
                              X