• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Apologies if some of the exposures are a little odd - I'm working on a smaller screen than usual and my eyes aren't working properly!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh Mark I'm absolutely drooling! Wonderful wonderful wonderful ...and you even found that most special viewpoint to end with! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Comment

Thanks' for sharing these pictures of the Old Lady,Mark.
          Yes, the right man at the right place!

Comment

Thanks both!

I did miss one photo - the full length one. Couldn't get high enough to do this from the other side, but hopefully this gives an impression of how wonderful she's looking.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Such a shining weather and such a shining ship. Thanks Mark for taking the effort.

If you just cannot wait for more pictures of the old lady, then you might be interested looking in Carinas flickr photostream...

Comment

Very nice photos, PoloUK. Acctually I got back home on friday so I wasnt onboard when they came to Skudeneshavn.

It was lovely to be back onboard again. I never imagined that would happen again after she left Hurtigruten, so I enjoyed every second.
                We had a very nice trip to the Sognefjord, and some daytrips from Bergen. We also "participated" on an oildrill in the North Sea, where we only worked as a observation ship. Around 100 people were onboard to observe the drill.

Now the plan is to stay in Skudeneshavn for another week or so, and after that there will be a trip from Stavanger to Bergen (with some stops underway), Oslo, Trondheim, Lofoten and Tromsø. After Tromsø Im not sure what happens, but they have some ideas for future trips, but nothing is set yet as far as I know.

Here's some photos from the boat. I've never seen this boat so clean and nice before.
                The pictures comes straight from the camera, so there might be some flaws.

Here's Nordstjernen and the boat Fjord Visjon, which some of the norwegians might recognize from TV. This is in Flåm in the Sognefjord.

Comment

And some black and white photos

If you want to see more, I have more photos on my flickr-account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carina...h/14431653245/

Comment

Overwhelmingly wonderful to see these Carina.

I spent a long time just gazing at the first photo. She looks kind of comfy and cosily tucked in for the night there in Flåm. Perhaps an odd thing to say, but it was what popped into my mind and the nice way it made me feel.
                    …and the gingham-check chairs on the aft deck made me smile.

Your powerful timeless studies in b&w are simply outstanding, every single one of them.

Comment

• carinahansen
                      carinahansen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you so much. The B&W photos are my favourites

Glorious photos Carina - as ever. I agree with Cecilia, the black and white ones are hugely powerful.

Slightly glad that you're back home - would have been dreadful to have missed you if we'd been in the same place at the same time!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• carinahansen
                      carinahansen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, agree. It would have been nice to say hello if I was there. And thank you, Im glad you like the photos.

Wow, those "straight from the camera"-shots are really impressive. You sirely have the talent to get it correct from the very first beginning.
                    Overall, your pictures from this spring are clearly improved compared to the nice shots from previous years. Cool stuff!

Comment

• Sigve
                      Sigve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agree with Tommi!

• carinahansen
                      carinahansen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you very much. With the Nikon D7000 I have finally learned to use it manually and only shooting in RAW, which I never did with my previous camera. So now its much easier to create the result I want, and not what the camera wants

Agree, those are beautiful images, very well done in b/w (as this is in fact a difficult genre of photography) :-)

I understand NORDSTJERNEN will have a night-stop in Kristiansund between 27.-28. July. She will sail on to Trondheim at 07:00 on the 28. July.
                    (NOTE TO SELF: Be there!!!!)
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I found two pictures of Nordstjernen in Aalesund that at first glance look to be the same, only one has been cropped:

But they are actually not identical, as can be seen by the wave pattern and the mooring rope.

The first pictures were found on smp.no dated 19.03.2012 as illustration to an article about Nordstjernen calling at Aalesund for the last time in Hurtigruten.
                      The picture was reported to be from 2008 however.

The second was alsofound on smp.no ​but dated 09.07.2014. Announcing that Nordstjernen would be used to promote "Kystkulturen" (Coastal Culture) this summer.

I believe the two pictures were shot the same day and probably with only seconds between them. Or can some sharp eyed person find any difference indicating otherwise??

I also found a picture of Nordstjernen with all flags flying and BDS funnel marking:

Question is; is this an old picture, or was it taken after she got back the old funnel marking???

Comment

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Seems like you're correct in your comments about the smp.no pictures. If you look at the clouds, it's just 5 to 10 seconds between the two.
                        As for the "older" picture, I belive it's after her restoration, because of her white lifeboats and I don't think she had any communication dome aft of the funnel in the days of her first BDS livery.

As my NOTE TO SELF in #2004 suggested, I had to be in Kristiansund early 28. July, not later than 07:00 local, to catch the old Lady Star visiting.
                      Now, I managed to get my pictures around midnight on the 27th, and since I know some of you are not on FB...., let me just repeat myself from that place:

Started from Russell Square in London at 06:55 27. July to catch the Gatwick Express at Victoria station 07:15. Then the flight DY2809 (Norwegian) to Oslo Gardermoen at 09:20 and a long cardrive home north on road E6 to Oppdal then road RV70 to Kristiansund. Was home (after a few stops and dinner) around 23:15 local, unloaded suitcases, then drove for an extra couple of miles into town where I finally catched NORDSTJERNEN in her original "clothing" of Bergenske :-)

Why stress so much? Well, when will I see her in original colours again in my home city? I'll put a large ammount of money on never....
                      Here are my pictures for you:

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And even if we've already saw the pictures on FB, I'll still think that they come very much more alive here at CVF.

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Of course, and that's why I personally would've liked it very much if most of us and even more new ones, would stay in here.
                        But..., I guess the world is in change even if we want it or not.
                        Thanks anyway Tommi :-)

Stunning images Svein. I just can't stop looking at that straight-on-side view with that pin-sharp strip of gleaming golden reflections in the water. This photo would also look so good as one of those panoramic-style large postcards, similar to what I’ve so often seen and purchased as souvenirs on Hurtigruten ships.

In the third photo I love the light glinting along the quayside railing and leading the eye in just fore of the funnel, and the bright lights themselves like stars.

That golden glow is there again in the funnel photo, softly blushing on the funnel itself, bright and glittering and welcoming through windows. I love those gentle curved shadows on the lifeboat.

I felt looking at the b&w image that I was magically transported back in time.

The whole photo set is exactly what one would desire from this photo-opportunity including as it does not only wonderful images of the ship herself in her new-old colours, but also in the context of your city, and the emotional and moving comments in your introduction.

Comment

• Sterkoder
                        Sterkoder commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for nice comments C!
                        I take it from the comments that you really gaze at my images and not only take a quick look.
                        As I put a lot of work in processing them, those which need it, I'm forever thankful :-)
                    Working...
                    X