::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ::: Nordstjernen :::

Absolutely - she's starting to look good.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Looks like they have done a VERY good job. Lots of new steel, cabling, piping and not to mention new wood for the decks.
      Not the normal; slab some paint on and fix the rest as and when it breaks down. (If it ain't broken, why fix it??)

Comment

This photo is from Sunday so Gestumblindi is on board - but where?

Comment

Has anyone an idea or information why Nordstjernen is back in Gdansk? (dunno)

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
            Has anyone an idea or information why Nordstjernen is back in Gdansk? (dunno)
            No information, but an idea. Although she looked good at Fjordsteam, they were apperently not quite finished with some things. To quote myself, as I wrote in the Fjordsteam thread:
            Originally posted by Gestumblindi
            Some things on Nordstjernen probably aren't completely finished. I thought that the wood of some railings looked freshly cleaned, but still in need of a layer of varnish, as well as part of the deck planking (at the stern, it looked finished and very good). Also, there were notices hanging (in English! - most passengers on board today were Norwegians; coming from Switzerland, I had the feeling of being quite an exotic ) that said "We still need some time, but as soon as she is ready, we are glad to welcome you on board for a wonderful voyage" and advertised a website www.vestlandclassic.com for information - which website currently isn't working, however.
            So, I think they have to do some additional work. Also, according to DNV vessel info, although the owner Vestland Rederi AS is in Norway (in Avaldsnes), the manager Vestland Marine Sp. z o.o. is in Poland (Gdynia), so maybe she will be in Poland repeatedly? (Quite likely that it's cheaper to do maintenance there despite the journey).

Comment

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Gestumblindi View Post
                Here are some detail photos I made at Fjordsteam, which show in my opinion that good work was being done:
                Thanks for the pics! Looks like a very thorough job has been done I'm impressed, and she's not even done yet! (back in poland for more work)
                Last edited by Polar; August 9th, 2013, 23:34.

Comment

I planned to take a photo Sandnes and Nordstjernen together from the other side, but I was not fast enough. Sandnes sailed away and Nordstjernen was replaced because Midnatsol came in.

Comment

Wonderful to see the quality and extent of the restoration work!

Full steam ahead for Nordstjernen!
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Did you all notice this web-page for Nordstjernen?

http://vestlandclassic.com/

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

As she is now back in Poland for some more restorations, these are now considered memories:

Comment

I like those memories! And thanks for reminding me about that web-page. I had seen mention of it earlier but at that time it wasn’t showing anything, and so I forgot about it. Now bookmarked!

Comment

According to Marinetraffic, Nordstjernen is again on the way to Bergen. She's currently in Kattegat doing 14.5 knots. So, I suppose they finally have finished the remaining restoration work in Gdansk...

Comment

Nordstjernen has apparently runned on ground tonight in Karmsundet: http://www.bt.no/nyheter/innenriks/N...d-3004026.html

Comment

Luckily, it doesn't sound too bad... "The boat is stable on a rock, and there have been no reports of it taking on water" (with the help of Google Translate). But still such an accident, even if the damage should turn out to be minor, certainly isn't what we were hoping for as the first event after completion of the renovation... reminds me a bit of "Serenissima" running aground not long ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X