No announcement yet.

::: Nordstjernen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By utilising the cafeteria as a dining room extension everyone was accommodated at one sitting. At our table we had come up with the theory that the kitchen had just one set of those stylish long shaped white plates for us all –in other words if used for the starter, the dessert was likely to be in a bowl or glass. On a soup day the dessert could be on the oblong plates.

Ah crème brulee …yummy!

Comment

There is one absolutely memorable aspect of dinner on Nordstjernen that I really ought to have mentioned at the very beginning. The call for the meal on the public address system was a tinkly kind of tune. I had assumed that it was a recording that they switched to, until I happened to be passing the reception office at the right moment and saw that it was actually being played live on a little xylophone!

Naturally I just had to ask if I could photograph Sea-Troll there!

Comment

Cabin-mate’s camera can take short movies which mine can’t. As his edited version of the following is a non-standard file type, I’d better show you the original. So please excuse the wobbly camera work at the start when the camera was switched on prematurely by mistake.
        It’s worth the wait for the tune!

Click on the carpet to play!

You’ll probably be humming it for the rest of the day!…and if you have ever voyaged on Nordstjernen you will definitely be feeling hungry right now!

Last edited by Seagull; October 20th, 2012, 15:32.

Comment

Re: ::: Nordstjernen :::

hungry?always,but i'm also one of those kind that:what the farmer don't know,the farmer wont eat.(more or less)

fish i'm not so happy about,but the meat of what i see, jummyyyyyy.

and a life performence,you really got a ''all included' trip Cecelia,
          but when she play every day the same, you wil think that it was a tape running.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

The text that go with that tune goes something like this: "Naa er det mat aa faa, naa er det mat aa faa, ta med deg kniv, skje og gaffel"
            Now, try that in Google Translate.
            Last edited by ombugge; October 20th, 2012, 18:18.

Comment

Such a charming tune. Those small crazy things, like playing a silly tune with a xylophone - every day, really can enlighten life a lot.

Comment

Thanks all, and thanks to ombugge and with knife fork and spoon (but possibly not chopsticks ) at the ready, we can now sing along!

Comment

Morning Trip in a Troll-car! – Friday 31st August 2012

In 2003 on a Hurtigruten round trip, I took the excursion to Svartisen, the second largest glacier on mainland Norway. Whenever I hear it said that something is the second something or other, I just have to know what the first is! So I asked and was told, but I was still rather new to Norway at that time. I needed to see place names written down to grasp and have even a hope of remembering more than “something beginning with J”! My subsequent Hurtigruten-driven geeky obsession with Norwegian geography still scarcely strays beyond the regular coastal route.

So how wonderful that because of Nordstjernen's last trip I eventually saw the Jostedal glacier. To be more specific, one of its many arm-like branches that reach down into the valleys – Briksdalsbreen.

Olden wasn’t much more to me than a name on cruise-calls lists and captions to ship photos when iI saw it figured in Nordstjernen’s itinerary. Before I’d learned more, cabin-mate had already booked me on the excursion, muttering something about “glacier” and “troll-car”. Was it the word “troll” that he’d thought would guarantee my interest I wondered!

There was certainly something otherworldly about that last day of the voyage. Perhaps after Geiranger my Hurtigruten-accustomed soul could only imagine I’d wake up in Bergen – Hurtigruten Days 1 and 2 in reverse so to speak. But we had another day, the voyage magically extended. It had seemed so long since Svalbard, and so it does again to me now –so long since I wrote about those Arctic islands.
                  How travel plays tricks with time…

Getting out the map. Getting to grips with Nordfjorden and the maze of branches reaching far inland …Innvikfjorden …Olden. But the relationship with Måloy on the regular route was all I really needed for the geography to fall into place –and realise that to go from Geirangerfjord to Nordfjord the ship would round Stad.

Stad did not disappoint me! That night Nordstjernen experienced the roughest seas of the whole voyage.

This did result in the staff having some tidying up to do next morning though!

Comment

Of course by morning we were far into the fjords, where foggy-smooth waters could hardly have contrasted more with Stad’s stormy seas.

Comment

The low clouds lifted during breakfast as the ship approached Olden.

No tendering required here!

Comment

Nordstjernen at Olden, and just how idyllic is that!

Comment

The tour bus sets off, and my photo-challenge continues as we pass the newer of the two churches.

For a moment I thought I had miss-heard the commentary when I heard my name. It was these mountain peaks –the Cecilia Crown – and I was so delighted (even though the legend about the mountain concerns a sad love story).

Comment

The bus continues on towards Briksdal and there is the glacier high in the mountains.

Comment

Here we transferred into “troll-cars”, the sturdy open vehicles that have replaced the former horse and carriages transporting tourists along the gravel road farther towards the glacier. Along the route are signs indicating former places to where the glacier extended. It hasn’t been entirely a case of gradual retreat though. The glacier is influenced by amount of snowfall, not just temperature.

Comment

Leaving the troll-cars, we walked on through the trees to the lake at the end of the glacier.

Comment

Working...
                                X