Where is Hurtigruten?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is Hurtigruten?

I have a lot of saved webcam pics taken from bt.no and the webcams on board various ships. The pics are mostly from 2001-06.
    I thought it would be fun to post some here for you Hurtigruten veterans to identify where Hurtigruten is at the time.

As I haven't travelled by Hurtigruten since a kid (and then only Aalesund - Bergen v.v.) and not been sailing on the Norwegian coast since in the Navy in 1965-66, I'm not sure I can identify the position myself. Hence correct answer must be decided by consensus among the veteran travellers.

Here is first installment: Where is Hurtigruten now?

What fun! - It is Vardø !
    Here a photo I took from Trollfjord, also in 2003.

It is actually rather nostalgic to look back at those webcam images from that time, especially the stern-facing view we don’t have now. It was only Nordkapp that had the webcam to begin with, and I eagerly followed that ship via its webcam prior to my first voyages that year. Subsequently I spent rather too much time standing at that corner of the promenade deck, looking up at the bridge wing and feeling rather stupid, in the hope of being caught on camera for the folks back home . . . and it only refreshed at approximately 12 minute intervals and often rather more erratically!

Comment

Seagull... you are fast! I knew you would be the one to crack that "code"...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I believe that is consensus enough.

OK, where is Hurtigruta now?

Comment

That was definitely more challenging, ombugge! But I reckoned it was in the south (trees and vegetation on the right hand side, the mountains not jagged) and it is rather a wide expanse of water but with a sheltered more fjord look about it.
          As you had aroused my nostalgia for these webcam views from around 2003, I flicked through some that I had saved of that area from Nordkapp, and EUREKA!! – here is the exact profile on the left!

It is on the return through Storfjorden from Geiranger to Ålesund. I don’t have a photo of the area taken myself as I’ve only done this once, and outward I took a very early lunch, and then the overland excursion from Geiranger to Molde. (That was the day long before CV when I photographed pakarang’s Crystal Symphony as he was photographing me aboard Trollfjord at Geiranger!)

Comment

I must add that I shouldn’t have the last word on this one! Now that I’ve matched another web cam image with ombugge’s, we have the advantage of seeing a ferry! So perhaps that will enable those that know the area better to exactly pin point the location. Which considering what we started with would be quite an achievement!!

Comment

Where is Hurtigruten here?

Seagull, you are right. This one I know because it is close to Aalesund, where I grew up. That is Nordkapp out bound in Storfjorden, with Hareidslandet in the far distance and Glomset to Stbd.

Here is another image taken from Nordkapp, but where?

Any familiar faces?

Comment

Looks somewhat Helgeland'ish.

Reminds me of "Bolga" in Meløyfjorden, but in my pictures still not identical to your island.

Hmmm...

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. First of all I just figured out that I am not the only one who has been standing on deck on "Nordkapp" for hours. Hoping that the web-cam would pick me up. GOSH how strupid.......

This last web-cam pic........I wonder if the Island on the pic is NOT an island at all.......?????

Could it be "Kunna", just out of Ørnes on north. In that case the small shadow we can see far behind on the pic could be Bolga.

I`m not sure, but it looks like.............

Comment

I managed to track it down to Hurtigruten day 4, northbound, between Ørnes and Bodø. The confusing thing in the web cam from Nordkapp turned out to be that we can’t see what lies to the left which is hidden by the ship . . . but not in this web cam picture!:

From the timing between the ports I thought it might be somewhere further north than Kunna – perhaps the general area of Fugløyfjorden/ Gildeskål - almost pakarang country these days on his more southern run!!
                    I then found another clue from another day on Nordkapp web cam. This should help a lot as it shows what is seen a little later on the right of the image. (Of course the reason I kept that image was because of the painting activities going on aboard Nordkapp!).
                    Hope this helps the precise identification. I just LOVE this thread!!

Comment

This thread is SO much fun to read!!!!!!! I'm enjoying the quest vicariously, AND learning geography at the same time!!! Good Work Everyone!!!

(and the "waiting to appear in the webcam" is HILARIOUS!! Reminds me of when I was on the cruise last month, chatting away with Captain over the computer, and he had me MOVE to the computer room so I could be "caught" by the webcam!!!--and BOY, didn't I look stunning...........lol)

I'm so glad you started this thread, Ombugge!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        Seagull, you are right. This one I know because it is close to Aalesund, where I grew up. That is Nordkapp out bound in Storfjorden, with Hareidslandet in the far distance and Glomset to Stbd.

Here is another image taken from Nordkapp, but where?

Any familiar faces?
                        Having a closer look to your web-cam pics, Seagull. I am absolute sure that this is Kunna seeing on "ombugge`s" picture. And that "Bolga" is the shadow-island far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          I managed to track it down to Hurtigruten day 4, northbound, between Ørnes and Bodø. The confusing thing in the web cam from Nordkapp turned out to be that we can’t see what lies to the left which is hidden by the ship . . . but not in this web cam picture!:

From the timing between the ports I thought it might be somewhere further north than Kunna – perhaps the general area of Fugløyfjorden/ Gildeskål - almost pakarang country these days on his more southern run!!
                          I then found another clue from another day on Nordkapp web cam. This should help a lot as it shows what is seen a little later on the right of the image. (Of course the reason I kept that image was because of the painting activities going on aboard Nordkapp!).
                          Hope this helps the precise identification. I just LOVE this thread!!
                          We are definately at pakarank-area here. The first pic shows Kunna very clearely. It is not an island, even if it looks like that. In the very old days, fishermen and sailors took their boats overland just inside Kunna. Dangerous to sail around. And quite safe to bring their boats over the about 100 meter low sand and grass-pass inside Kunna.

The second pic from the web-cam also shows Fugløya, with the characteristic sand-spot.

Comment

Do we have a consensus? Kunna?

Comment

I still have many more, but it is time for somebody else to post a puzzle.

Comment

Working...
                              X