Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

::: Nordnorge :::

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    REPORT: Hurtigruten had to change our travel plan to our November cruise. The flight companies do not fly to Kirkenes in the afternoon anymore during November. So we have to stay overnight in Oslo instead of Kirkenes and take the morning flight from Oslo to Kirkenes. I hope we will have no problems with the weather - now we have no margin for safety...
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

    Comment


      That must be so very annoying for Hurtigruten, as well as unsettling for yourselves.
      Ummmm, I’m glad I chose to have those extra days northbound starting from Tromsö.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
        REPORT: Hurtigruten had to change our travel plan to our November cruise. The flight companies do not fly to Kirkenes in the afternoon anymore during November. So we have to stay overnight in Oslo instead of Kirkenes and take the morning flight from Oslo to Kirkenes. I hope we will have no problems with the weather - now we have no margin for safety...
        Oh, I'm sorry this happened. Indeed it is nerve wracking to have to worry about making connections. Perhaps you have some time to come even earlier and stay a couple of days in Oslo? It is a lovely city. We had such a good time there last year, we deliberately planned our holiday this year to include a week in Oslo after our cruise.

        Comment


          "Nordnorge" southbound a little after schedule from Kristiansund this Saturday afternoon.
          Picture taken from the breakwater under the Sørsundet bridge, and now you who has been visiting my latest posts must understand what I did today


          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

          Comment


            Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            "Nordnorge" southbound a little after schedule from Kristiansund this Saturday afternoon.
            Picture taken from the breakwater under the Sørsundet bridge, and now you who has been visiting my latest posts must understand what I did today


            ......
            Love this capture... very effective, very dynamic and perfectly shot! You are indeed an artist!
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

            Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

            Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

            Comment


              Lots of images of the Nordnorge:

              http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/sho...1000#top_photo







              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

              Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

              Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

              Comment


                Nordnorge had to give up in 30m/sec winds... but the text beneath the image which states that the ship will be laid up from September 20th, must be wrong...?

                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                Comment


                  Seems to have been a couple of bumby rides last year. It would have been a interesting experience, although not too comfortable.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    .... but the text beneath the image which states that the ship will be laid up from September 20th, must be wrong...?....
                    I most certainly hope so...there is Ralf and family and me already booked on her in November

                    Comment


                      Oh dear! We're just 2 weeks away from boarding the Nordnorge for our trip, Bergen north to Kirkenes, then back to Trondheim! What does that mean, "laid up"? Going in for repairs??

                      I noticed the rough seas there in the one shot...is that common during April, too?

                      Comment


                        The laid up mark under the picture is most definitely from another year, from a previous use of the photo.

                        It's undoubtedly nothing else than sloppiness from the one who wrote the article.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                        Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                        Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                        Comment


                          Pakarang is of course correct. I’m sorry if I contributed in scaring you Uppitycats! ….not enough exclamation marks or more appropriate smilies in my previous post – I had thought I might actually have saved the original newspaper article that used the photo and was going to add this to the post, but got interrupted and pressed “send” prematurely.

                          Nordnorge was indeed laid up at Åndalsnes, after having reached Bergen on the 18th September 2008 for what we then thought was for the last time in service. It was thought at the time that she was possibly for sale. But then she was sent to the Adriatic on charter as an accommodation hotel ship, and as things turned out it was two of the older generation of ships (the ones we used to call “mid-generation” of which only Vesterålen remains in service), that were sold.

                          Well, I don’t have the photo with the text beneath it in my “archives”, but I do have another version of the same photo from another newspaper report from 2008! And this will really amuse you, because you can see that the recent version of the photo has the funnel livery photo-shopped into Hurtigruten’s black funnel with the H logo. The original photo showed the colours of OVDS, before the merger with TFDS to form the present company.



                          Well, Uppitycats, this little history should give you geek status in conversations over the dinner table on your forthcoming voyage! So soon now!!!!!!!!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                            Nordnorge was indeed laid up at Åndalsnes, after having reached Bergen on the 18th September 2008 for what we then thought was for the last time in service. It was thought at the time that she was possibly for sale. But then she was sent to the Adriatic on charter as an accommodation hotel ship, and as things turned out it was two of the older generation of ships (the ones we used to call “mid-generation” of which only Vesterålen remains in service), that were sold.
                            And I for one, is very happy she is still a part of the fleet today! She is my favourite ship!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

                            Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

                            Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

                            Comment


                              Thanks for the update! I do have to print out that little history, and take it with me. I am always at a loss for dinner conversation, and that bit will be a sure winner!

                              Yes, our trip is getting close now. We're really excited. We loved our trip last year despite my becoming ill, and hope that this time I'll really be able to fully enjoy myself!

                              Comment


                                It is also interesting to keep an eye out for any remaining traces of the old company around the ship, plaques, door handles, upholstery etc… What you will definitely see on the stern is that the home port is Narvik, whereas those Hurtigruten ships that formerly belonged to the other company, TFDS, have their home port as Tromsø. The Narvik connection is another great talking point for you, because the Hurtigruten ships don’t actually call at Narvik!

                                Also, as you have been on Fram….Nordnorge originally did the Antarctica Explorer voyages, (including my 2005 trip) and then for a while there were two ships down there, the other being Nordkapp. Then when Fram was built, she took over the Explorer voyages, adding Greenland as a destination (and as you know the names of rooms on board are Inuit inspired).
                                Now Fram is doing Svalbard also, and the old traditional ship Nordstjernen which used to go there in Summer returned to the regular Norwegian coastal route. So these are more topics of interest when you pass the ships Nordkapp or Nordstjernen during your voyage!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X