No announcement yet.

Sjøkurs ex. Ragnvald Jarl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next day my plan was driving to Lühe, taking the ferry from Lühe to Schulau. There ist a welcome point (Willkomm-Höft) I thought I could wait there for Fram and hear the Norwegian national anthem.
    Then I would take the bus to Hamburg Wedel and change to the S-Bahn in the city. Okay, this was my plan, the reality...

I had some fear to miss Fram so I was near the quay in Lühe at 8 a.m. The ferry should sail 9 a.m. - but no ferry around. I heard she was out of order. After some repairs the ferry should sail one hour later. At 10 a.m. the ferry passed the quay and moored near the bridge. They started pumping water out.
    It was nearly 11 a.m. when we went aboard and nowhere Fram is in sight.

I reached Sjøkurs at 1 p.m. the beginning of open ship. First I met some friends from the good old times on Harald Jarl. They knew that Fram is about four hours late. A little bit later I met the member Keelson and his girl friend. (For the members of the german forum: Jobo and Hamburgerin)
    It is amazing - 1,5 million visitors in Hamburg and it seems it is easy meeting friends without any appointment.

An other well-known boat:

Comment

Comment

The look at the bow was disappointing. It is not in good condition. Looks like something is missing there?

Comment

And where is the nice old crane? What is this?

Comment

Thank you so very much for providing these insights into the ship!

It's a little bit funny, she has to go to Germany before we are able to get some proper reports from on board her....
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I wonder, which rooms Ragnvald Jarl / Sjokurs has at the place, where Lofoten has the Panorama-Saloon on the boat deck. She has only a few windows there, so i guess there is no saloon at this place? Anyone knows? I checked an old deck plan, but there was no information about this area.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                I wonder, which rooms Ragnvald Jarl / Sjokurs has at the place, where Lofoten has the Panorama-Saloon on the boat deck. She has only a few windows there, so i guess there is no saloon at this place? Anyone knows? I checked an old deck plan, but there was no information about this area.
                On Finnmarken it is the Captain and the chief engineer cabins. I believe it would be the same on Sjøkurs.

Comment

I see. And since Harald Jarl these cabins moved behind the bridge and the navigator room. That explains the lenghtening of the bridge deck. Thank you. I am still learning new facts about the old ships. And thank you also, Eilun, for the wonderful pictures and your report of the shipspotter day!

Comment

Re: Sjøkurs ex. Ragnvald Jarl

Hope I will be back on Sjøkurs some day and than I will ask who is living there.

The remaining photos will follow today. At the moment I am busy with a new problem each day. Yesterday I found an ill hedgehog in my garden and brought it to the vet, he didn’t survive.

Back to Sjøkurs! I think because of too many visitors, here was only a view from outside possible.

Last edited by Eilun; May 21st, 2011, 13:31.

Comment

The bridge:

Comment

They removed the tent but the rack is still there.

Comment

Sunday evening, the ships left Hamburg

(Sjøkurs is hard to see behind this big vessel, maybe I shall put in a Queen Mary 2 thread?)

Comment

Comment

Great pictures. Thank you so much for all these inputs. This is YOUR thread!!

Comment

The photos above are from the place Finkenwerder. I met a friend and we stood there for many hours. I had read in the Web Sjøkurs should leave at 2 p.m. Then she was more than 5 hours late and nearly the last ship leaving Hamburg. Because of some problems with public transportation the days before, I used my car on Sunday. I drove to Hamburg very early to find a parking space not so far away. When Queen Mary 2 had passed, most people went home and only a few people spotted Sjøkurs.
                                This means also I stood in a Queen Mary spotters jam when I tried to follow Sjøkurs. I drove a short distance and near the next good spotting place was the next traffic jam.
                                I didn’t believe there was a chance seeing Sjøkurs again. When passing Lühe I was surprised. No driving car on the street, all parking places completely full and thousands of people on the dike.
                                It seemed like I had overtaken Queen Mary, she sailed very slowly this day.

Nice sunset light in Lühe but nowhere a free place for my car. The next stop was Stadersand.
                                These are not my best but favourite photos from the weekend. It was nearly dark and I tried to brighten it up. Sjøkurs was bored from this slowly big ship. David against Goliath!

Comment

Working...
                                X