X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bookmarked video...! Thanks...

Oh yes, I certainly want to se photos!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It was a great but stressfull weekend. I hope you understand I will need to much time when I try to write perfectly grammar in English. This is the fast version.

My biggest problem: I have only a fixed computer at home and I need something to get the updated ship positions on the way.

Thursday evening I called my brother and he said Sjøkurs is leaving Esbjerg at the moment. I thought the ship would pass Cuxhaven at noontime. Ships normally need about four hours from Cuxhaven to Hamburg and expected arrival there was 5 p.m.
      I got up at 7:30 a.m. and I asked a man at the reception from the camping side, if it is possible to tell me the position of a ship. He tried it at Vesseltracker but this website works only if you pay for it. Another try at marinetraffic - he said no!
      When I was back in my tent I looked at my mobile phone and found a SMS from my brother. Sjo 20km vor Cuxhaven 7:50. Now it was 9:15, help, I thought I missed it.
      It was Friday morning and all my friends were at work. I tried to call my sister but she had a visitor and could not take a look in the Web. I packed my tent and some minutes later my sister called back and she said Sjøkurs is directly before Cuxhaven, sailing very slowly. I jumped in my car and I drove to the viewpoint "Alte Liebe". I avoided wasting time with buying a ticket for the parking area. I ran to the viewpoint and here she is.

The first view: Sjøkurs had passed the Kugelbake. (the building on the left side.)

I love this viewpoint and it is the mooring area for the lightship Elbe 1. Not today, the lightship sailed to Hamburg on Thursday and yes, I was on board.
      This is a very good place for taking photos but not so early in the morning. The sun was on the wrong side.

Comment

Thank you so much, Eilun!!!

It's reassuring to know someone else is just as crazy about oldships as I am.
        And will do whatever to get a glimpse of them... And are just as blissfully happy when we see them...
        Won't even mention what stunts I'm willing and able to do when it's about old airplanes!

Comment

Now I didn't need to hurry. My plan was driving to Krautsand and this distance a car is much faster than a ship. I ate something, laid down in the sand and after a hour without seeing any ship I wondered, if there is another way to Hamburg I don't know. About 13:20 -

Comment

Ooo, such a pretty sight for sore eyes!
            It is a bit strange to see a Hurtigrute outside of Norway with other type terrain.
            Like that year you posted Nordstjernen-pics, when she was sailing in a channel.
            Thank you - again, and forever after.

Comment

Nice to hear from you Harald Jarl. Yes, I think I am very crazy while hunting old ships and there are only a few persons trying the same.

This tugboat in front of Sjøkurs - a nice view but it was overtaking and not pulling Sjøkurs.
              A man told me Stadersand is a better place for taking photos. The ships are not so far away. So I ran to my car and drove to Stadersand. I was only a little bit faster than Sjøkurs.

Comment

In Stadersand a man told me, Lühe is a better place for photos. The ships are closer to the quayside.
                I ran to my car and ... no, I didn't drive to Lühe. There was a flower festival, the streets are little, many curves and speed limit often 30 km/h. No chance being earlier there than the ship.
                I drove to the next railway station and took a train to Hamburg. This year 1,5 million people visited the harbour birthday. No good idea driving to the city in a car.
                My plan was taking a ferry across the river but the ships were early and I was too late. On the first ferry there are too many people on the open deck and the Captain didn't allow more people there. I stood on the lower deck and tried taking a photo over the automatic gangway.

Comment

We passed Sjøkurs and I changed to the ferry in the other direction. I could walk to the open deck and I stood there in the middle of a crowd. Maybe we can sail a little bit closer for shaking hands?

I think this is enough stuff for crazy old ship lovers. I need some sleep now.

Comment

Absolutely wonderful images Eilun... thank you so very much for sharing those brilliant shots of the old lady.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Comment

The ferry is not a good place for taking photos of ships behind it:

Comment

Not necessary to change the ferry again, she will return to the other direction

Comment

I tried to get out of the ferry. It was not easy because there was no more place on land.

Comment

While waiting for open ship I met a girlfriend. What a surprise, she was on Nordstjernen the year 2003 from Bergen to Hamburg. (And the next day in March 2003 we met in Cuxhaven and drove back to Hamburg while taking pictures on the way.) There are a few people more crazy and hunting ships...

Comment

Between the ships was only a few space, at 7 p.m. they were still fighting with the gangway so we decided to go back to the train.
                                I reached the camping site at 10 p.m. (Altes Land, Guderhandviertel) I built up my tent in the nature and enjoyed the silence.

Comment

Working...
                                X