Finnmarken (of 1956)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finnmarken (of 1956)

I think #2/4 would make a really good calendar pic. It just needs a little Photoshop treatment to clone some more sky and add the top of the mast from #2/3. It would be best to work with a high res original if still available.

The building adds context and there are even people looking at Richard With.
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.

Comment

Naturally I'd be happy to send you that if you wanted, but I would imagine there must be much better ones available.
      Thanks, Cecilia!
      If we decide to use one of yours, and we most likly will, you will be credited by your name and it will be used on the reverse of the calendar.

We are talking about #2/4 and #4/1, one of those.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

My goodness Sterkoder!
        I’ll send you those photos in any case, as attachments in an e-mail later this afternoon/evening. (I only use Photobucket to place reduced and resized images specifically for posting in CVF, but of course I have the originals on computers and disks.)

You know, I had been thinking that you should really use a photo from a Norwegian! … but then when I started thinking about some outstanding photographers we know from around that part of the north, I suddenly realised they would be too young to have been taking photos from the time before the ship got its roof!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
          I just have to re-post this picture of the mast of Finnmarken:

The two red lights are indicating "not under command"
          I missed this one earlier.
          Actually, two red lights vertically above each other indicate that she is aground. That is no exaggeration!!!
          (Not under Command is Re-White-Red)

In fact I was surprised to see that someone had had the presents to turn on two red lights on the Costa Concordia when she still had power, but was listing at least 20 degrees. Could it be on the Master's instruction???

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            I missed this one earlier.
            Actually, two red lights vertically above each other indicate that she is aground. That is no exaggeration!!!
            (Not under Command is Re-White-Red)
            Hmm, Colreg 27 says two all-round red lights in a vertical line for vessel not under command.
            Colreg 30d is about aground, two red in combination with a white.
            http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule27
            Well it's not so important, I think the risk that she will be colliding with something is quite minimal!

Comment

Rule 30

Anchored vessels and vessels aground.
              (a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
              (i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
              (ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in paragraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, where they can best be seen:
              (i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
              (ii) three balls in a vertical line.
              In other words the white light is NOT between the red lights but at bow and stern of the vessel.
              Last edited by ombugge; April 2nd, 2012, 18:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                You know, I had been thinking that you should really use a photo from a Norwegian! …
                Don't worry, the photons that entered through the camera lens were Norwegian!
                ---------------------------
                Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                Deck plan geek.

Comment

Haha I’ve already told you you’re in good form this morning, Clipper!!!!…
                  Actually come to think about it quite a number of folk during my recent trip started to gabble away to me in Norwegian before I could halt the stream of words with mutterings about Engelsk! Always nice when that happens.

Comment

I found some more interesting pictures of the Finnmarken:

The song of the ship.

One of the corridors on board.

A tool - but what's it used for?

And some stored away life-jackets.

Comment

It's kind of sad to see the ship so empty, so lifeless, and almost to the point of being haunted.

Scary place to walk... what about a ghost walk on her?
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A brand new Finnmarken visiting Oslo before starting her career at Hurtigruten:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/filmavisen/F...06-1956#t=5m4s
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                        X