X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kong Harald" aground.

"Kong Harald" went aground on Uløya outside of Trollfjorden last night.
    The ship had to wait for the tide before they could refloat, and she is now in Svolvær to check the damage and the let the passengers off.

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/norge/1.10936138

There were no passenger injuries or pollution, but the ships bulb did take on water.
    Last edited by Daniel; March 5th, 2013, 09:06.

Re: "Kong Harald" aground.

Hurtigrutens statement in norwegian :

http://www.hurtigruten.no/Utils/ms-kong-harald/

Comment

Were they actually going into Trollfjorden in the middle of night???
      What for??? It is dark and most of the passengers are probably asleep at that time of the night.

As for the leak in the Ballast tank, this may have helped to get her off the ground earlier. Provided the tank was already full and the upper part above the waterline, ballast water would have leaked out, lightened the weight and reduced the draft Fwrd.

PS>
      Men det er ingen akutt fare for mennesker, passasjerer eller skipet, opplyste vakthavende redningsleder Øyvind Aadde ved Hovedredningssentralen for Nord-Norge til NTB.
      What is the difference between "Mennesker" (Human beings) and "Passasjerer" (Passengers)???? Isn't the Passengers human being on this ship???
      Last edited by ombugge; March 5th, 2013, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        What for??? It is dark and most of the passengers are probably asleep at that time of the night.
        No, they never sail into the Trollfjord during winter, but they always have a stop right outside the fjord and light it up with their spotlights for passengers to see.
        I think they were laying with the end of the ship towards the fjord (probably a new thing the latest years), so that people can see it from the upper decks, where theres room for more passengers. I read that somewhere..

And, did anyone see this article? http://www.lofotposten.no/lokale_nyh...cle6534307.ece
        The island they grounded on is acctually the captains childhoodhome.

Comment

What is the difference between "Mennesker" (Human beings) and "Passasjerer" (Passengers)???? Isn't the Passengers human being on this ship???
          Perhaps "mennesker" also includes the crew...?
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

No, they never sail into the Trollfjord during winter, but they always have a stop right outside the fjord and light it up with their spotlights for passengers to see.
            There must be exceptions even if very rare ... depending on the captain maybe, and the weather. In 2010, I guess it was the late November trip, we actually went INSIDE the Trollfjord (the weather was so nice, the fjord so quiet, the full moon provided such a good light). With the snow and ice, it is probably one of the best moments of my "travel" life... Or maybe late November is not considered winter ? (the conditions were sure wintery ones). The few of us up on deck are were very lucky indeed!
            Last edited by PanjiS; March 7th, 2013, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post
              There must be exceptions even if very rare ... depending on the captain maybe, and the weather. In 2010, I guess it was the late November trip, we actually went INSIDE the Trollfjord (the weather was so nice, the fjord so quiet, the full moon provided such a good light). With the snow and ice, it is probably one of the best moments of my "travel" life... Or maybe late November is not considered winter ? (the conditions were sure wintery ones). The few of us up on deck are were very lucky indeed!

Entering Trollfjorden at winter in the dark is a spectacular sight
              I have a theory that the snow conditions may be a factor when they decides to enter or not, because of the vibrations from the ship.
              I do wonder what happen to Kong Harald, but when I saw the tracking of the ship it seemed like the trouble started when they were turning around or right before. But I don't want to speculate to much, because there could be a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post
                You most have experienced a rare exception there
                They usually dont enter because of the avalanche-risk or ice falling from the mountain.

Comment

Working...
                X