Good period for autumn trip?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good period for autumn trip?

Yes I know I am just back from a great winter trip abord MS Lofoten (story coming), but you should always have a plan for a next trip (or two...) . So I'm thinking quite a bit about trying an autumn trip with Hurtigruten (for 2014) and I wonder what would be the good "autumn" period.

I'm hoping to see some glorious autumn colors, but also I hope for a little Northern Lights if possible, so I'm thinking between September 21st to end of October. But maybe some of you who have done this trip in autumn (or who live in Norway - or both) can help narrow it down a little bit?

I had contemplated doing this trip on MS Finnmarken, which appeals to me. But coming back from this winter trip on MS Lofoten, going back on another ship would seem a betrayal (and my travel companion is not at all excited about such a big ship), and besides 2014 is the year of Lofoten's 50th anniversary (March 5th)... So the departure I'm considering are September 27th, October 8th and October 19th. There is a full moon on October 8th. Is end of October too late for the colors (at least in the south?).

I know this is a very long time before the trip but I've noticed that online booking are open, and since we want a particular cabin (and since I'm a bit of a planning-freak ) I think it's better not to wait for too long.

Thank you for all your input!
    MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
    Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
    My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Re: Good period for autumn trip?

Have only travelled early September when it was hot & occasionally stormy. I was advised by a friend who works onboard for Hurtigruten that end of September was good for scenery & weather (I had asked when to go other than Jan-Mar & May). He also remarked on increased stormy & wet weather from early October onwards.

This advice was general & not in relation to Nordlys sightings but they are supposedly more intense around the equinoxes so would suggest the same period.

I'd go for Sep 16th if possible, followed by 19/10 to maximise Nordlys %ages or 27/09 for better general conditions (Nordlys should be ok for Nbound leg but lots of moon in the evening after that).

Which is your "particular cabin"? Promise not to book it ahead of you :-)
    Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

TF 09/05; TF BGO-KKN-TOS/KH TOS-BGO 05/06(hit seamen's strike ); TF Xmas/New Year 12/06; MS 05/08; Lofoten 03/10; MS 03/11 TRD-KKN-BGO(broke ship ); MS 01/12 (Astronomy Voyage), LO 03/13 - changed to MS (Astronomy Voyage again!) as LO delayed after maintenance; LO 03/14 BGO-KKN-TRD

Forthcoming: Lofoten 31/10/15 BGO-KKN-BGO

Comment

Norway being VERY long North to South v.v. there is no time when Autumn starts, or Winter, Spring and Summer for that matter. (Although Summer sometime falls on a Thursday in June and very few get to enjoy it)

Some time back I issued a challenge to CVF members with time on their hand to "follow spring" as it develops between South and North, but there were no takers.
      With Hurtigruten now having working cameras it should be possible to take a screen shoot from one of the ships at regular points along the coast to see how spring is progressing North.

Once one ship has completed the trip BGO-KNN, start the same process with the next ship heading North. Keep this up from April to June.
      You will probably find that when BGO is into early summer, KNN will still have snow on the ground, at least in patches.

As for Autumn, the process will be opposite. There is no way to say when Autumn start "in Norway".

Comment

A tip is to find some trip reports here and hurtigforum to get a feeling. You could also do a image search on Google or Flickr to see how the landscape looks during different times of autumn.
        Personally I would go the last two weeks of September.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          There is no way to say when Autumn start "in Norway".
          I fully apprciate that. My first Hurtigruten trip was during the last two weeks in April and I really felt that I was going back in time as I left Bergen in the spring and arrived in Kirkenes in winter. I'll be plenty happy with a trip that starts in autumn and ends in winter (actually, I would love exactly that). My main worry is that if I wait too long, I will miss autumn altogether And I know that of course it can change from year to year...
          Yes, I will look at trip reports, good idea.
          MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
          My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Four years ago we sailed from Bergen on 15th September and the autumn colours became progressively more impressive as we sailed north. We also were lucky enough to see the northern lights on the first night of the south bound journey. Of course as you say, it will vary from year to year....

Comment

Originally posted by richws View Post
              Which is your "particular cabin"? Promise not to book it ahead of you :-)
              We like the cabin A4xx , great location (you are outside in 15 seconds), big windows (which actually stay open during winter! and the cabin are larger. It's not that we spend that much time in it, but it's been tough fitting our suitcases + the photo gear in the A205 cabin we had last year.

And... the booking is done for 2014! (I know, I'm crazy). After looking at previous trip reports I chose the sept27th departure. Full round trip this time and we are thinking of spending a few days in Stockholm before that (and take the train from Stockholm to Oslo and then to Bergen, and the return is still open, but we have some time to think about it!).

I have seen in the new excursion catalog (which I left on the ship...) that there seem to be some new excursions offered in autumn (Hjørundfjord, a visit of Munkholmen -northbound-, some excursions on Sami culture...).

Comment

Working...
              X