Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ex Polarlys ex Caribbean Mercy ::: Home II / Hope II :::

ex Polarlys ex Caribbean Mercy ::: Home II / Hope II :::

A continuation from the old board thread: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=312

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Tribute to my former favorite

Hey. I am a very new member at this marvellous forum and web-site. My english is not very good, I`m sorry to say. But I`m a very fan of hurtigruten. Traveled 160 times with the 20 latest hurtigrute-ships the last 24 years. And spend a lot of my time collecting details and info of all ships. My heart was jumping when I found this captainsvoyage-forum. And I would like to thank Jan-Olav and all of you for all I have learned the past few days here. I always says that the Hurtigruten-ships is MY ships. But now I have figured that I have to share "ownership" with all of you Hurtigrute-friends. My favorites is the Aalborg-ships and their Italia sister Nordstjernen (thank God she is still with us). Please correct me if I`m wrong. But I think I`m allowed to post pictures and stories from my trips here. I trust that Jan-Olav and/or the moderator will guide me to use this forum the correct way. I`ll start my new life here in this forum, to post some pictures of my "princess" old Polarlys. I found some scanned pictures fom 1991. One of my 7 trips with Polarlys. Some pictures of the interor and furniture: I found the minimalistic style om board very strange compare to the nice classic design of this ship.
    I would like to see som pictures of the original interior and furniters, before she was modernized.

Comment

Off course we are happy to see your images: all of us are here from the very same reason: we have a passion about the many themes and threads of the forum.

If you have anything particular to Polarlys, this could be the right thread indeed. Each ship generally have their own threads, but if we have a travel report or special incident to share, then, feel free to make a new and own thread for the images and stories.

Welcome on board and we are all confident that you will find a lot of good friends here at CaptainsVoyage.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

great! Welcom to the forum, Martin! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Comment

Thank you both.

I think I have to learn how to uploud pictures from my own computer. Because when I tried to add some pictures, my computerscreen went in black. And I had to restart the machine.

Sorry !!!!!

Until I have learn the correct way, I will enjoy to see your pictures.

"I`ll be back"

Martin

Comment

Please see this article at our old magazine, on how to post pictures in any post:

http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=344

We recommend you open and use the services of www.photobucket.com (free image storage).

Comment

a tribute to Polarlys

Hi again. Thanks for good guiding how to upload images. While I`m waiting for more info from "Hope II", I am a bit nostalgic. And want to remember "my old princess" from the better days.
              This is my very first posted image in this forum. Polarlys just outside Ørnes april 1993.

I love the wooden floor on the deck. And notice the great sunlight-reflection.

From the upper deck. Polarlys on her way to Stamsund september -91

Polarlys met old Finnmarken in Harstad an early sunny morning september -91

Comment

Wow!! The last one is unbelievable!! What a sight!!
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Indeed... very nice images! Good to remember an old princess such as the Polarlys was.

Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that last picture, Martin!!

Comment

Thanks for nice feedback. Here i post an image from inside Polarlys back in -92. I took this picture because i found the interior-style very strange and minimalistic compare to her old classic design. This is from the front lounge.

I think maybe Polarlys got new furniture early in the 80`s. And i don`t actually think the -80`s style suits and fit the beautiful classic lady. Even the flowers you see at the picture was plastic.
                      Polarlys` sister Nordstjernen slso had this minimalistic style inside in the -80`s and -90`s

I wonder if someone have a picture of the interior and furniture longer back in time. I can`t imagine that Polarlys was built back in -52 with that kind of furniture.

Last edited by HurtigruteMartin; February 5th, 2009, 03:40.

Comment

These seats and sofa's in the previous post reminds me very much of those that were installed on the new 80-generation ships when they came out. They are way to modern to be original, so these may have been installed during some kind of 'upgrade' (if I could call it that..).

Does anyone know if those wall paintings were sold with the ship when she left Norway after the end of her service or if they still may be intact on board?

Comment

Very good point, pakarang. Even if this image belongs under thread of the 80`s sisters, I do post this here. It shows the original furniture in ex-Midnatsol. And is a good comparence to the image of seats and sofa`s in Polarlys.

Polarlys was in dock from nov 81 to march 82. Got a new engine and several upgrades. So maybe it was the time she got new modern furniture

Comment

I mean I recognize the single chairs in the image from Polarlys, on board one of the 80's ships... the style is very .... early 80's. Let me see in my old files, I may have some images there that I could pull out.

Comment

Oh, yepp--VERY 80's. Ouch. Nothing decorated or worn in the 70's or 80's should be allowed to stay that way. I know. I lived through it...... Yuck. All of it..from ceiling to carpet. Sends shivers up my spine.

Comment

Working...
                              X