Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Continuing this thread: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/...?t=437&start=0

Just checked Google Earth to spot good old Kong Olav.

There she is:

I wish so much Hurtigruten would buy her back...

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Oh, but it hurts to see those photos.
    Little did I know in 1990 that only seven years later she would make her last trip on the Hurtigruten Bergen- Kirkenes route.
    Why 1990?
    That was the year I made the wonderful journey on the Kong Olav up the Norwegian coast from Bergen to Kirkenes and back. Some years later, becoming computerised, I put my photos on Flickr where they were seen by a member of CVF who mentioned them to Jan-Olav. The result was an invitation to join the forum. I looked, I liked and I joined. This was in 2010. By then my memory was a little hazy as to the precise location of some of those pics. taken between harbours, so I enlisted the help of members in placing several stretches of sea which to me had no particular identiying features but which I had taken because of their beauty.
    They came up trumps! "Ah yes, that's the stretch between ..... and ....., " "And that one must be the approach to ......."
    Delighted at their knowledge of what to me was a collection of waves with the odd mountain or two in the background, I happily labelled my "unknowns" and then set about my Kong Olav thread of that memorable journey, even more delighted that those memories had found a home for others to see. http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...-olav#post1634
    I still have the day-by-day schedules of the places we were due to call at on that journey, but sadness shadows them. Yes, we all knew that this would happen in the end, despite the brave and prolonged attempts to secure a better future for the splendid little ship. But when that end does come, it is still such a blow. I only wish that the work could have been done in her homeland amongst people who knew and loved her, instead of so far away where nobody cares.
    Such a wonderful story... and it actually makes me a bit emotional. I remember your images very, very well... they were so wonderful to look back at. I'm so wonderfully delighted that you joined us and that you are still an integral part of our very friendly family here at CVF. It's been a wonderful voyage!

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Oh, but it hurts to see those photos.
    Little did I know in 1990 that only seven years later she would make her last trip on the Hurtigruten Bergen- Kirkenes route.
    Why 1990?
    That was the year I made the wonderful journey on the Kong Olav up the Norwegian coast from Bergen to Kirkenes and back. Some years later, becoming computerised, I put my photos on Flickr where they were seen by a member of CVF who mentioned them to Jan-Olav. The result was an invitation to join the forum. I looked, I liked and I joined. This was in 2010. By then my memory was a little hazy as to the precise location of some of those pics. taken between harbours, so I enlisted the help of members in placing several stretches of sea which to me had no particular identiying features but which I had taken because of their beauty.
    They came up trumps! "Ah yes, that's the stretch between ..... and ....., " "And that one must be the approach to ......."
    Delighted at their knowledge of what to me was a collection of waves with the odd mountain or two in the background, I happily labelled my "unknowns" and then set about my Kong Olav thread of that memorable journey, even more delighted that those memories had found a home for others to see. http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...-olav#post1634
    I still have the day-by-day schedules of the places we were due to call at on that journey, but sadness shadows them. Yes, we all knew that this would happen in the end, despite the brave and prolonged attempts to secure a better future for the splendid little ship. But when that end does come, it is still such a blow. I only wish that the work could have been done in her homeland amongst people who knew and loved her, instead of so far away where nobody cares.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I actually feel I can take a long relaxing breath right now - finally, this is way better end than rotting away in a side river in the Thai jungle.

Glad that her scrapping has gotten underway finally. The end is finally here.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Very sad, but at least now a clear proof. I agree, that saving her was not possible anymore since years.
    And may i say that: It is better to have good memories, pictures and movies, than to see her again and again in this rotten shape.
    At least we have MS Lofoten, MS Harald Jarl as Serenissima), MS Ragnvald Jarl as Sjokurs, MS Nordstjernen and MS Finnmarken left out of that postwar era.
    5 out of 12 is not too bad. It is a pity that none of the Italian sisters survived,

• ombugge
    replied
    It is definitely over and out for Kong Olav according to this report and pictures at NRK Hordaland:
    https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/trist-s...het-1.14185222

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Thank you very much for the visit to this thread and for your comments and thoughts.

Yes, indeed, I'm very protective of this ship and I love her like my own child. She was supposed to be the best, she was until she was abandoned, but she was not salvageable when efforts got under way.

But I rest my case by saying I tried saving her, whether I did it the right way or not I'm not sure - I didn't have any experience whatsoever in saving large, old veteran ships.

It is important too, as Sterkoder states, we have many ships "saved" and operational - it is our responsibility to make sure we use them and support their continued career.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    we all have some sentimental feelings for rather all kind of ''things'' ,humans or animals.
    maybe the ''kong olav'' is for J-O what the ''janihudi '' is for me. memories,and maybe he had told here on cvf what the reason maybe.
    maybe it's just because the name ''kong olav'' what is for not Norwegian people ''king olav'' and while that is the name of a old King of Norway,it is so inportent
    to presurve the vessel. now i don't have to much knowledge of the hurtigruten ,but i can inmagne that the most beautiful vessel is named after there King, the most inportent person and most inportent vessel. top of list

but offcorse ,i can be totally wrong about that, it is just a thought why J-O, like a dog protect his bone

• Sterkoder
    replied
    I enjoyed these images very much. I'm sad to, of the KONG OLAVs legacy (or what it's called).
    But, and this is important: I'm not angry because KONG OLAV is ending like this, because we (Norway and a foreign company) has taken care of many of the old hurtigrute-vessel: NORDSTJERNEN (operational), FINNMARKEN (museum), HARALD JARL (operational as SERENISSIMA) and RAGNVALD JARL (operational as SJØKURS).
    When someone talk about KONG OLAV in this thread, it sounds like we're NOT taking care of the hurtigruten heritage at all..., and that's downright wrong! We see at least three of the old ships still sailing!!

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Sad indeed Captain. Breaks my heart to see a wonderful old ship in that condition.

• pakarang
    replied
    I hope you enjoyed these images despite them being incredibly sad and a testament to a terrible waste.... the ship was in top condition when she departed from Norway for the last time in 1997, and she could have had some really great years instead of being neglected like this.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9602 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9628 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9631-v3 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9631-v2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9631-v1 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Some more images from 2015: can't believe I haven't shared these yet. I'm terrible at this!

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9567 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9574 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9569 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Here are also some images exclusively to all you my dear CVF-family members: the images are not recent per say, they are from June 6th 2015 actually:

2015_06_06 Thailand holiday-IMG_4930 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9569-2 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9582 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2015_06_06-Ranong-HuaHin-IMG_9593 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    I have made an update on CaptainsVoyage.com today regarding the Kong Olav... read/see it there.

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/hurtig...-be-saved.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X