Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

I am heartbroken. I had remembered and hoped and remembered and hoped, although the sensible part of me was pessimistic. All thanks to you, J.O. for making every possible attempt to save this little ship. I have listened to her voice that you recorded back in 1986 as she was coming in to Rorvik, just 4 years before I sailed on her, and it brought back so many memories.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Dear CVF family,

As the Kong Olav rescue-mission eventually came to an end around New Year, I also need to thank all of you for the continuous support and gracious assistance in such an hard and impossible task. It is no secret that the Kong Olav is a very special ship in my heart, and that I truly hoped from the bottom of my heart, we would be able to do the near-to-impossible thing and save her.

The campaign has through the years cost me a significant amount of private money, energy and time. But, as the effort now has come to an end, I'm really glad I did try my very best at saving her. I would never have wanted to wake up in 20 years knowing that I never even gave it a try. Also, I know I did more for the ship than anyone else had ever dared to do before me.

At one point in the long campaign, trying to save the ship from scrapping, some of the commentary (particularly lead by another Norwegian shipping forum) got really personal, cruel and vicious. Within this long campaign, I also received several threatening mobil phone messages and e-mails. Some of these threats were even of such a character, that I had no other option than to report it to the local police.

I must stress that my intention all the time, was to try save the ship from a certain scrapping. Naturally, I respect everyone and their opinions towards the question whether she was the right ship to save. Norway have a very long maritime heritage and there are also many ships we all have special connections to, and want to see saved. We have several handful beautiful veteran vessels in many of the Norwegian ports, both in the southern and northern part of the country. We also have an extremely urgent matter in Stokmarknes, where another retired Hurtigruten-ship, the 1956-built Finnmarken, desperately is trying to find sufficient funds to build a roof over Norway's largest museum-piece. I often fear for the future of Finnmarken in Stokmarknes, if they are not able to build her into a building sometime soon. She is made of steel, wood and have numerous openings… water has a tendency to find it's way in, and once it does, the decay rapidly increases.

For many supporters, I know some of the feelings and motifs behind their dreams. A lot of former crew members contacted me through the months and year, and shared with me their most wonderful stories from the Kong Olav: these were people on the quays, people that had sailed with the ship as a passenger or a crew member, and from many other people living along the coast who fondly remember the ship. I'm extremely honoured to having had those conversations, and I would like to extend my most sincere "thank you" to all those that took some time to share with me those fantastic stories. I will probably never forget the former crew member who called me one evening, and in tears telling me how much he admired my efforts and how much he wanted to see the ship return to Norway. That conversation in particular, made a lasting impact on me and gave me the strength to try my best.

Needless to say, as a Captain myself, I do know that finances also must be in place, and that there must be a safe way to guarantee her future revenue and economical goals. This is one of the things that eventually killed this dream of many. When an inspection team traveled down to Burma (Myanmar) during the autumn to inspect the ship, and to discuss a possible purchase from the owner, it also became very evident that the ship had degenerated tremendously since my own July 1st 2007-inspection. The last 5 years had done a lot of damage to the ship: decay, fungus and leaks were evident all over. It was somewhat quite a shock to learn the extensive decay and damage on board. Some degeneration was naturally expected, but not to the extent the inspection revealed.

The "Bergen investor group" did a lot of work "behind the scenes" and solely went into the project trying only their very best at creating a business model and making a safe, economical, and sound business proposal to try return the ship to Norway. A phone-campaign was launched, and about 5600 NOK was collected. The phone campaign itself had their fees to be covered, and the inspection trip to Burma also had to be covered. It doesn't take a genius to understand that they never made any money on their efforts and time.

With the ship's current condition, the always changing purchase price would only be a fraction of the cost it would take to ready her for any kind of future life.

It would have been absolutely wonderful to see the ship sail into Stavanger harbour in fresh paint, with all her flags flaying from bow to stern, and with the horn blasting her familiar sound. It would have been a triumph for many to see the "King" return home from exile. I always saw it as a way to honour the crew and passengers that had a connection to the ship, as a way to honour the people along the coast and as a way to honour all war-sailors that are still alive, and that have passed on.

At this point, the only thing we can do is to try salvage the art on board, and some other special items from the ship, before she eventually sinks or are scrapped. I leave that project to those that still wants to make a try, and I firmly believe that the Hurtigruten museum at Stokmarknes might be the right people to do so. They might not have the funding and finances the ship owner wants for these items, but I think they are the right people to make a try.

In closing, our dreams is the foundation of most, if not every man and woman, and I urge everyone to work hard trying to realise their dreams before it is too late. Continuing in your life knowing that you gave it your everything, will be an award for you to treasure for the rest of your time. I rest assured now, that I really tried all that I possibly could do. In the end, I did fail, but I know that I really tried.

Yours truly, thank you.

http://mskongolav.net/siste-nytt/eng...st-update.html

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/hurtig...kong-olav.html
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well spoken, Captain. Again i am proud to be able to join you in this wonderful forum. Your objectivity and your sensitivity leads to a style of writing and behaviour i like very much. Thank you!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I feel (and share) your sadness Jan-Olav, but I also have the utmost respect for everything you've tried and done.
          Your text says it all, and so well.
          MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
          Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
          My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Beyond sadness, there is sensitivity and strength and satisfaction in your wonderful words, Jan-Olav, as well as a philosophy of life and an inspiration.
            I just want to add that appreciation to my thoughts from earlier today, and to say how proud I feel to be part of your forum-family.

Comment

Dear all,

Once again, thank you all for supporting me in trying to fulfill my, and many other people's dream. Sadly, as we all know, it didn't work this time. But, we should be really proud we tried!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

While the fight is now over, the website www.mskongolav.net will be active for at least a year more, and occasionally updated.

I kindly ask you all to help me keep it alive, and to let me know about things we can write about on the page.

Last update: Just a few minutes ago.

BTW: There are UNCONFIRMED rumors that the ship has been sold for scrap. Working on a confirmation to place on the ships website.

Comment

• GraemeD
                  GraemeD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I heard a rumour that Kong Olav will return to Norway as a hotel ship in Bergen. Could this be true?!?

New and fresh images of the 50 year old King has been added under "nyheter" at the ships website.

www.mskongolav.net

Comment

I'm really sorry to say, but it appears as if all is now "over" for the old King: as seen in this recent image from a side river off the Kra Canal in Thailand...

It is believed she was towed to this location after her last anchor chain broke, and that she is in the process of being de-rigged.

http://mskongolav.net/siste-nytt/sis...vasjon-av.html

http://www.nrk.no/sognogfjordane/_-t...lik-1.12192115

Comment

Although we knew that it would finally come to this, it is still tragic that, despite all your efforts, nothing could be done to save it from such an ending.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I agree, no matter how much we WANTED to save, this one was not to be saved.

In retrospect,the salvage effort was initiated perhaps 5-7 years too late - the deterioration of the ship had gone too far.

But the additional tragedy I feel, is that out of respect, they could at least have removed the name from the hull a long time ago. In a region of the the world, where less-majeste is a highly punishable crime, it doesn't involve disgracing the Royal household name of other countries.

Comment

That is sad, but there is no possibility to stop this process. Are at this new place facilities for her dismantling? It doesn't seem that there is ship scrapping going on there?

Comment

No, I don't think there would be any professional facilities for dismantling at this particular place, but unlike here in the western world, that doesn't stop it from happening literally anywhere.

Comment

Yes i remember that Polarlys / Caribbean Mercy "disappeared" at a similar location near the Panama Canal.
                            Did Andaman Marine sell the ship? Do you have the possibility to get some information?

Comment

I don't think the ship is "sold" in the way we know the word - without knowing, I would suspect the ship has been "given up" ... or in some way handed over to someone else for down-rigging (which is a fancy word / term for local scrapping).

Comment

Working...
                              X