Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

The good news is that the Kong Olav is probably now saved!
    News about KONG OLAV can be found around on the internet, but I want facts.
    In some places you can see that the ship IS now Norwegian again, but there are no Hurrays!
    Now you use the word 'probably' and the people "in charge" at Facebook is putting a lid on info.
    Well, let's hope then..., for a positive ending.

I personally can not contribute much, other than picking up the phone and calling that gift-number.
    People investing more money than me usually want answers, so I hope they pull that lid away from the pot of info soon.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Captain-- I am so proud of all the amazing work you have done in trying to save Kong Olav...... Your energy and focus.... determination.....

You have done a tremendous job, no matter what the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
        News about KONG OLAV can be found around on the internet, but I want facts.
        In some places you can see that the ship IS now Norwegian again, but there are no Hurrays!
        Now you use the word 'probably' and the people "in charge" at Facebook is putting a lid on info.
        Well, let's hope then..., for a positive ending.

I personally can not contribute much, other than picking up the phone and calling that gift-number.
        People investing more money than me usually want answers, so I hope they pull that lid away from the pot of info soon.
        WAOW....!

I'm really not sure how to read your post, but it's been on my mind all through the day.

Yes, there are a lot of news on the Internet about the ship, and on that other forum, there is also a lot of very negative stories. It's really great that people do have a healthy skepticism to such a project, and so have we tried to keep in our minds always as well. But, we have also received a lot of positive feedback from many people which strengthens the belief that there is a place for the ship.

Yes, the ship is "in Norwegian" hands... a company by the name Sju Segl AS has been founded, and is lead by two persons from Bergen, and some larger sponsors.

Letter of Intent (to purchase) is being drafted.

A new price has been negotiated forward and accepted by both sides.

"Probably" meaning that even though they have gotten this far, there is a LOT of obstacles ahead... as you probably know, the ship is at the other side of the world, and there is a lot that needs to be done to make her ready -- all whilst still keeping a healthy prospect what is reasonable to do, and/or not do.

In your message, the people you refer to "be in charge on facebook".... I suppose you mean me, am I right???

I'm NOT in charge, I do NOT collect any donations or monetary funds in this campaign: my role has always been as a contact person, and instigator for realizing mine, and many others dream to bring her home.

YES, there are larger serious persons behind which OFF COURSE have been informed of all details, and they are also the people who decides what information is sent out.

I don't know what information you demand to see, but trust me when I say that everything that can be said and shared, is being shared.

PS: There have been many "HURRAY'S" as well... I'm so very sorry that those calls have not reached you.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          Captain-- I am so proud of all the amazing work you have done in trying to save Kong Olav...... Your energy and focus.... determination.....

You have done a tremendous job, no matter what the outcome.

Thank you for your thoughts and care.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I suppose you mean me, am I right???
            Nope, you're wrong. I mean among others your 'name brother' on FB.

OFF COURSE have been informed of all details, and they are also the people who decides what information is sent out.
            I know..., belive it or not.

I don't know what information you demand to see
            I don't demand to see any information.
            But when you read one place that the vessel is on Norwegians hands, another place that it's not that easy, another place again that a sign of contract is eminent and a fourth place that one has not yet agreed on the sum of money....., I just want to know is the vessel coming home, or will it remain at anchor as is...? This is in a light of impatientness of a happy ending!
            In the case of Sju Segl AS and that foundation running the operation, you have been absent both here and on FB, so I don't accuse you of anything.
            I only refere to you as the initiator (initiativtaker), and I know you don't collect any money and is only a contact person.

In short, I'm only impatient to see a notice some place about the ship being saved. That's all...., nothing else....(dunno)

EDIT:
            Please don't put too much into my "WAOW-post", nothing I write is ment to make any persons day bad.
            As I tried above here, in this post, when I used the frace "I want facts", I only wanted to know is she Norwegian again or not..... Sorry for writing so badly. (And by all means; stop thinking about that "WAOW-post")
            Last edited by Sterkoder; September 18th, 2012, 22:12.

Comment

Please cool down, both of you. This is so exiting, that everyone is impatient!
              You have to understand also the actiong people of Sju Segl AS. For sure they need a cool brain now to get the things sorted out.
              I am sure, everything will be done to do successful next steps.
              We all know, that too much and too early information can spoil things.
              And i can see the burning fire inside J-O and the struggle to decide what to tell and what not.
              Patience, patience, as J-O said, this is a point we have never been before!
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks, Ralf...., I am cooled down.

I agree to what you write, but my point was just that the people very involved in this project (Sju Segl AS) are so close to exploding with info they want to tell us others, that they keep leaking small, small fractions of more or less good news.
                It was when it came on FB that the vessel finally was on Norwegian hands I wondered what was happening..., because I could find no news of that other places.

If we who know nothing and are eager to get any news can't ask questions, it's quite ok with me..., it's best to not care about the ship or project until it's official and the ship is sailing into a Norwegian harbour.

I think that is best. Don't rock the boat, so to say....

Comment

It has been very interesting to follow his conversation the last couple of days. Simply because I also am SO eager to know facts, and to know exactly what`s going on.

I SO much admire Jan-Olavs and all others indeed enthusiastic work to Save "Kong Olav".

But on the other hand, I am also glad that you, Sterkoder, sort of has been my spokes-man and my "buffer"here on CVF in this issue. Because me, as well, am split between eager enthusiasm and frustration of not knowing facts.

Some days ago I became quite un-popular in another facebook-group than the "KO-group". The "please PAY by phone"-campaign was spread all over all FB-groups that included Hurtigruten-enthusiasts. And me, and a couple of friends, was quite fad-up of the feeling of been "forced" to pay for something we didn`t know, every day we logged into our FB-account. So I posted a not very wise comment there. But my frustration was NOT directed to neither the "SJU SEGL" nor the work of saving Kong Olav.

But it is SO exciting to know that Jan-Olavs dream is very close to be fulfilled. And I trust that everyone is doing their very best to bring this legend-beauty back home. Meanwhile I am going to keep a low profile and be patient waiting for true facts. And I will continue to read the KO-group on facebook. And hope this interesting conversation between feelings and facts will go on here on CVF, as well

Comment

An update was posted on the ships website a few days ago, explaining more in detail.

I haven't been informed much on the latest news in the project, the company has now taken over the majority (all) of the transactions and communications.

As far as I know, they are now on the way to the ship to inspect, pick up documents and sign contracts with the owner.

I was offered to go with them, but I have other work related engagements and big hospital days in the weeks to come, so not able to go... which is a hard thing for me to accept after investing SO MUCH in the project.

But, as I said, I'm not a part of this process.

When they have further information they want to share on the ships website, they will let me know.

www.mskongolav.net

Comment

Thank you for this last update. I know that from your point of view it must be a tragedy not to participate the inspection, but the positive thing is: The new owners have to judge objectively, if the ship is worth price, refurbishing and transport. They also are full of enthusiasm, but they are responsible for the money and their investment. So they will decide, and so be glad for not being there (even if i would not accept that for myself also). It is better and let's hope that there will be the opportunity to have an active role later.
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

As probably the only CVF member who has actually sailed on the Kong Olav I am on tenterhooks the whole time, understanding the impatience of all those who have posted to know the final outcome and at the same time fearful that return of the ship to Norway will be given the thumbs down. I have posted little on the matter but that does not mean I am not feeling, wishing and hoping.
                        It was through Gaelsail's invitation to bring over from Flickr photos of my Kong Olav trip that I joined CVF and I have much to thank the little Hurtigrute for apart from that delightful holiday on a working cargo/passenger ship.
                        I can't express how I would feel to be standing on the quay of wherever she might arrive and be able to set eyes on her once more, no matter what her condition. As and when that happens, I would do my utmost to be there - and mine would be the loudest cheer - in between the tears!
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I'm currently awaiting permission to post an update on the progress on mskongolav.net

Permission has not been given as of yet.

Comment

Since FB is where the 'life' is, I notice that I'm looking into that place more and more, and I'm using my own account more than I originally intended.

In one of my visits, yesterday, I was aware that one member of the Kong Olav-group said he was so happy that the ship is returning home, and that this was decided upon 15. September 2012.....in the evening, to be very specific.

Is it so strange that we 'on the outside' get confused if the ship is on norwegian hands or not...?

Yes, I got a very good answer the other day on what's going on, thanks!
                            And, I've read the first report from an on board engineer inspecting the ship at anchor. Very interesting!!

(I just wanted to point the light on the confusing info different people are spelling out, as on the evening of 15. September, the group hasn't even been to Burma, they haven't seen updated photos, and even now, after the visit on board, they have not decided 100% what to do.

This project should have had just one person dedicated to getting info out to the press, FB and whatever forum this case is living.
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; October 11th, 2012, 12:28.

Comment

Unfortunately i find it almost impossible to follow what is happening on Facebook because i do not understand the language spoken. I wanted to look at the engineers report that Svein mentioned, but i cannot find anyway to translate it. It is one of those documents that does not allow me to right click and copy the text, thus i cannot paste it into a translator.

I have also just realised that trying to translate the whole Facebook page via google does not work either, all i get when i try it is a blank page with the facebook logo. The only way i have worked out to do it is by copy and pasting each individual comment into a translator, and that takes ages.

So i will just rely on what gets posted on this forum. Other than keeping in touch with family, i do not use facebook anyway.
                              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have posted an update on the ship's website, but as I also mention, I'm not in any way associated with the investor group from Bergen.

If they have any updates they wish to share, they will send it to me, otherwise, I do not have much to report.

I feel I have done a lot, and invested so much of my own money and time in this project, only to receive threats by mobile-texts and e-mails as thank you... that it is not fun continuing any longer. From what I can gather, the so-called threats are from members which are active on other forums, where they talk about the ship. And yes, the threats have been reported to the local police.

I wish to see the ship back home in Norway very very very much, but it's not a decision I'm going to make: save, or not save.

I pray that the Bergen-group will have a wise decision to make, and I trust their judgment for what the future will hold. What happens, will happen, and what won't happen, won't happen.

And yes, I totally agree, it is EXTREMELY hard to see the progress through the abundant facebook updates... almost to the point of impossible. It is not a good channel to convey the chronological progress, that I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X