Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

I will try to see what is wrong with the petition online... it might have expired, but I will have a look at it.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

I guess I can shoot in and say that we are now a group of people that have created an association intending to inspect, and make a feasibility study into an eventual purchase of the ship.

At the moment, I'm the Chairman of this association.

We hope to inspect the vessel in the near future.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This is a great start, Jan-Olav. To get some facts anf figures from the feasibility study will at least give a firm base on which to consider a possible next step.
        Power to your elbow, as we say.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Just a thought; there is apparently a group looking to bring the Sognefjord back to Norway as well. Both vessels are in S.E.Asia and the Orient Explorer is able to re-locate within S.E.Asia under own power. What about a shared HLC to carry both of them together? Shared cost may make the venture more feasible for both projects.
          I don't know who is involved in the Sognefjord project, but I'm sure it is possible to find out, given that they probably have a "campaign" on Facebook as well.

Comment

I don't know who is involved in the Sognefjord project, but I'm sure it is possible to find out, given that they probably have a "campaign" on Facebook as well.
            Oh, I don't believe that will be a big problem to find out, as 'our' captain is a member of that FB-group...
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

The fight to save Kong Olav might be over... ( www.mskongolav.net )

A final deadline was given to us to raise funds for purchasing the ship, but after many attempts and long hours of negotiating, no investor wanted to take upon themselves such an uncertain and large project. Had she been on this side of the earth however, there might have been a different story.

She is due to be sold to other local interests in Burma this month.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear the sad news. I know you've been working very hard to make the return of Kong Harald happen, but sometime you reach the end of the road.

Comment

I'm sad too. But I know you did your very best to bring Kong Olav back to Norway.
                  Is it now too much to hope that those “other local interests in Burma” might have some positive plans for her?

Comment

This is very sad news indeed, though probably not entirely unexpected. As, I think, the only member to have actually sailed on the Kong Olav, doing the trip from Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen, I feel particularly sorrowful that "my ship" will not be returning to her home country.
                    Meanwhile, all thanks to Pakarang for his valient efforts to save her for Norway.
                    But as Seagull hopes, maybe there will yet be a new, happier life for her.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This is sad indeed. Please try to find out who will buy her that we can have an eye on her as long as possible. And as the ladies mentioned, there is still a small hope for a better life. The size of this ships is too big to restore them as private community. That is a pity...
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        This is sad indeed. Please try to find out who will buy her that we can have an eye on her as long as possible. And as the ladies mentioned, there is still a small hope for a better life. The size of this ships is too big to restore them as private community. That is a pity...
                        I will do my best to keep an eye on her, no matter what happens next.

I had a wild thought some days ago, in connection with the Royal Jubilee in the UK.... I read somewhere that the people of Britain wanted to "give" their Queen a new Royal Yacht and that they were looking for a second hand yacht to be converted... woudn't Kong Olav make a wonderful new royal yacht?

Even the name is already Royal...and, in addition, the Norwegian Royal family has strong connections and relations to the Uk Royals.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          I had a wild thought some days ago, in connection with the Royal Jubilee in the UK....
                          I had exactly the same thought about Harald Jarl / Andrea / Serenissima when she was under arrest in Croatia. It would be amazing if an ex-Hurtigrute ship was chosen however I think the natural sea-keeping characteristics of this generation of vessel might be a barrier. It will be interesting to hear how successful Serenissima's new stabilisers are at taming the roll.
                          ---------------------------
                          Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                          Deck plan geek.

Comment

Can anyone please find a use fo this beautiful vessel before it is too late?

http://www.mskongolav.net/siste-nytt...ikke-noen.html

Comment

Anyone interested in a beautiful model of the Kong Olav?

The model will be just over 1 meter long and these are fantastic models... I have Sanct Svithun in my living room now, from the same vendor, and I can't do anything but warmly recommend to order one!

www.miniatyrskip.no

Their webpage is not updated but it has been announced on their facebook page that they are taking orders for models of Kong Olav now.

Comment

A treat found at flickr:
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/jan-georg/5360856931/

Comment

Working...
                                X