Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Any chance of us seeing them here, J.O., for those of us not on FB?
    I wish, I have invited the members to post them here, but to no avail. I wouldn't want to "steal" the images over either.

Most of the members there appears to be former crew members of Kong Olav, or people with some kind of connection to the ship.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Shame. You'd think they would be only to happy to join us, wouldn't you? I wonder if any were crew members in 1990 when I had my trip on her.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This might have been mentioned once or twice before, but here is a recommendation to all of you.

In 1985 BBC made a thriller (think it was sent on Norwegian TV during Easter) called Malstrøm (English: Maelstroem). In the first episode, when Cathrine Durrel travels from London to Ålesund, she travels with SAS (Sterkoder: aviation alert!), and then boards the KONG OLAV in Bergen for the sea voyage to Ålesund. Lots of scenery from the ship, on board and from around the ship. Just for the views from Kong Olav, this thriller is worth seeing again!

I ordred my DVD from a Norwegian online retailer called www.cdon.com and it cost 199 NOK (including Rød Snø and another thriller in a box set) + 29 NOK in shipping and handling. Right now, they are temporarily sold out because this was also discussed on Saving Kong Olav on FB, which resulted in a mass order being placed over Christmas.

Made by BBC, 280 minutes long, category: thriller, made in 1985.

Well recommended for all Kong Olav afficianados!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A recent image on the STP-Norway forum server... :

http://www.stp-norway.com/phpBB3/dow...3ead&mode=view

More can obviously be found on www.stp-norway.com forum.

Comment

That picture is taken by Tom Ragnar Wold ( I think he is a CVF Member).
            And check out the HSCs in the background! From the left "Ofoten","Børtind" and "Tysfjord II", all ex. SDS / OVDS vessels The old "Fjordprinsessen" is in the same area, and actually back on the sea again! "Rødøyløven II" should be around there to.
            Wasn't there a thread in the old forum about these vessels?

Comment

What a sad picture...
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by The Sea-Otter View Post
                Wasn't there a thread in the old forum about these vessels?
                You are correct, there have been a few threads:

Old forum: ::: Kong Olav ::: Legend vessel still alive

Old forum: ex-Norwegian fast passenger ferries of Andaman Marine

New forum: ex-Norwegian fast passenger ferries of Andaman Marine

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  A recent image on the STP-Norway forum server... :

http://www.stp-norway.com/phpBB3/dow...3ead&mode=view

More can obviously be found on www.stp-norway.com forum.
                  Can someone please encourage Tom Ragnar Wold to post also in CV? The stp forum is in Norwegian language and for me extremely difficult to navigate. I couldn't find anything in there related to this latest picture...
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I can do it, I think he has posted some here on CV ( username "fosgate" ) , but I'll talk to him
                    When is our captain heading down there to visit "Kong Olav" again ?

Comment

Copied from the Heavy lift thread:

Here is a much more suitable type of ship to carry the Kong Olav from Burma back to Norway:
                      http://www.rolldock.com/files/60/lea..._web%20(2).pdf
                      The "dock" is 116 m. (L) x 19 m. (W) and can be submerged to a depth of 6.5 m.
                      There are several ships of this type in the market.

Kong Olav's "vital measurements" are: 87.4 m. (L) 13.3 m. (W) and the loaded draft is 4.56 m.
                      Displacement is not known, but not likely to be over 2,500 m.t., which is no problem.

Carried by a ship like this she could be loaded more or less "As Is", regardless of condition. No need for any certification, or any major work to be carried out at site to make her seaworthy for towage to any nearby shipyard. (Loading, Discharging and towage in protected water only)
                      PS> Let me know when you want to do it.

Comment

Now, that seems like the right ship to take her home... or to a place where she can get some work done on her.

With your experience, how much would a job like that cost in terms of money?

Burma -> Norway delivery voyage.

Comment

On the way to pick up, and bring home Kong Olav, perhaps?

Comment

Dear all.... IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOLLOWS.....

Need advice on how to proceed..... URGENTLY.

As many of you may already know, I also have a Facebook page called SAVING KONG OLAV (in Norwegian) where a lot of former crew members have joined and shared memories from the old KING.

In the last couple of weeks, we have actively been discussing the possibility of returning her to Norway in some kind of static role (to begin with).

And today, March 1st 2012, I got a confirmation 7 in contact with her owner, which let me know that they ARE INDEED interested in selling her back to Norwegian interests for restoration.

The price will have to be discussed following a thorough inspection of the vessel, and the vessel will be sold pretty much "as is" on the location.

Now, this is a very scary territory for anyone that hasn't done anything even close to this.... how to proceed, where to get funds, how to realistically get her home... there are a lot of things here, and a mine field of things to consider.

With the correspondence of today, it strikes me that this is perhaps the VERY FINAL CHANCE to get the ship home, or into some kind of operating role.

If this doesn't work out, I fear the scrappers are not far behind.

But, now, how to proceed?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                              Dear all.... IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOLLOWS.....

Need advice on how to proceed..... URGENTLY.

As many of you may already know, I also have a Facebook page called SAVING KONG OLAV (in Norwegian) where a lot of former crew members have joined and shared memories from the old KING.

In the last couple of weeks, we have actively been discussing the possibility of returning her to Norway in some kind of static role (to begin with).

And today, March 1st 2012, I got a confirmation 7 in contact with her owner, which let me know that they ARE INDEED interested in selling her back to Norwegian interests for restoration.

The price will have to be discussed following a thorough inspection of the vessel, and the vessel will be sold pretty much "as is" on the location.

Now, this is a very scary territory for anyone that hasn't done anything even close to this.... how to proceed, where to get funds, how to realistically get her home... there are a lot of things here, and a mine field of things to consider.

With the correspondence of today, it strikes me that this is perhaps the VERY FINAL CHANCE to get the ship home, or into some kind of operating role.

If this doesn't work out, I fear the scrappers are not far behind.

But, now, how to proceed?
                              Additionally, before continuing on such a BIG project.... what should/would the scrap price of the ship be?

Comment

I have no idea about the scrap price, and how one calculate that for a ship.
                                Two interesting links though might be to the London Metal Exchange http://www.lme.co.uk/dataprices_daily_metal.asp and to metalprices.com http://www.lme.co.uk/dataprices_daily_metal.asp

Other than that I'm sitting here speachless and in awe from what you've done in this matter, and it almost hurt to see that you're THIS close to fulfill a dream not knowing which way to go now.
                                I can only sit back and be a viewer to the development of this adventure, because I have no idea as to what contacts you should tap on the shoulder nor where you could get funds. Not at this point anyway.
                                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Working...
                                X