Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding to my last message

Just reread my last message and should clarify the last sentence. I did not mean that you have not all been exploring possibilities, rather that I'm happy I finally am discussing them and not merely reading your posts!

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
      Just reread my last message and should clarify the last sentence. I did not mean that you have not all been exploring possibilities, rather that I'm happy I finally am discussing them and not merely reading your posts!
      Hi Jacko!

Happy to have you actively participating on this friendly forum and hope you will be a regular contributor to this and other threads.

As for the Kong Olav, there is still hope of seeing her back in active service, provided somebody with deep pockets are interested.

After being idle for several years without any preservation or maintenance (as far as we know) it will take a pretty penny to put her back in certifiable condition as a passenger vessel in international trade (SOLAS 2010) But the key word is "International". If in "domestic" trade this does not apply.

You idea of a regular service between Phuket and Langkawi; I'm afraid the Kong Olav would be too big and the sailings too short to be economically viable. That route would be better suited for one of the old Norwegian HSCs also sitting idle at the same place.

I just returned from the east of Indonesia and can see great potential for "Exploration Cruising" in that wast region with a relatively small ship with a limited number of pax and facilities of a reasonably good standard.

Indonesia, being an "Archipelago state" under the Law of the Sea, all waters between the islands are territorial and thus fairly long voyages can be arranged as "domestic" trade.

Anything east of Bali is "virgin" territory for cruise ships, except rear visits to Komodo to look for Dragons. A few Dive Boat Cruises originating in Bali is also available to Komodo.

1 and 2 week cruises originating in Bali and taking in places like Ambon and Ternate in the Molukas, East and WestTimor, West Papua and Papua on the island of New Guinea and any number of small islands in the area would be viable.

The Kong Olav is big enough to be comfortable for a limited number of pax (100?) and small enough to call at outlaying port and places with no facilities but lots of interesting things to see and do.

How realistic is this??? It would require an Indonesian partner with the right connections and background from both the shipping and hospitality industry.
      I know such a person, but we would still need someone with deep pockets to foot most of the initial bill for upgrading. And the present Owners must be willing to sell at an acceptable price, of cause.
      Last edited by ombugge; April 3rd, 2011, 05:21.

Comment

Ombugge

Much appreciate your reply and welcome to the forum. One word that I have seen several times mentioned in relation to this site on a number of threads is "friendly" and that certainly appears to be the case!

I think your idea of Indonesia is most interesting. While there are a number of charter operations (mostly dive operators) operating in the region you mention, there is not a regular service on a ship such as the KO. In years to come I am confident that this largely unexplored area will become much more popular with tourists. Yes, the key would be in finding out whether she might be put on the market and at what price. I am going to put out a few feelers with contacts in Thailand to see if they can find anything out. Might take a few days but I will revert with any news that is forthcoming.

Another option to the KO might be the "Orient Explorer" (ex. HMS Kilham) that is mentioned on another thread in the forum as she is currently operational and based in Sabah apparently. I believe she is on the market and have seen two prices mentioned over the past few months; US$599,000 & $1,000,000. She looks in pretty good condition and might be suited for the sort of service you mentioned in Indonesia. However, I think the curent owners have been operating in these waters and I wonder why they are putting her up for sale so soon after quite major renovations. She must take quite a lot of looking after, so they may be open to an offer lower than those mentioned.

Re. the HSC option, point taken and it would certainly be a faster service between Phuket & Langkawi with vessels such as these.

Great if we could buy all of these ships and start a company managed/operated by like minded people in this region!

Comment

Welcome on board jacko!

Thank you all for making so many good points and suggestions for her preservation and possible future engagement.

I think I can safely say that I wish her to be in any kind of service as opposed to her current predicament. No matter where, as long as she is operating and being maintained. Back home to Norway would off course be my highest dream, but any other place would suffice.

The sad thing is that all this attention about the ship, creates a lot of unwanted attention for her owners. A lot of people are trying to contact the owners to get permission to come on board, have a look, visit... and so on. They are not so happy about all this attention, and I think it might make it more difficult to the future to create a venture, or to push forward a sale to a new interested owner. They might end up being so annoyed by all the attention, that they hastily decide to rid themselves of the ship... they have said they won't scrap her before, but they could always change their mind quickly.

If there are someone really interested in creating a business venture and seriously consider taking the responsibility for her (ownership), then, I'd love nothing else for them to succeed.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi Pakarang

Appreciate the welcome and your comments! I very much agree with you that it would be a pity if the owners get to a point where they are frustrated by 'random' approaches, that it might back fire on the future of the ship.

So far, getting information on her possible future is proving an elusive task and I don't want to make direct approach for the same reasons you outlined. I guess we will have to wait until the day possibly comes when the owners decide to put her up for sale. Can only hope that happens before she sinks as a consequence of continued neglect.

Comment

Right now, there is not much that can be done to save the King, other than wait and hope.

Too many curious people wanting to see the ship could force the owners to possibly rid themselves for the ship. Or not. Nobody knows.

I'd like to see her saved but I think the time is about to run out for her.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Since the old SAVE THE KONG OLAV - group on facebook was archived, a new one has been created:

SAVING KONG OLAV.

Sadly, it's all in Norwegian.

Comment

Re: Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Since the old SAVE THE KONG OLAV - group on facebook was archived, a new one has been created:

SAVING KONG OLAV.

Reminder to all of you that wish to follow the Kong Olav and the stories from many of her crew, this page on facebook (unfortunately only available in Norwegian) is a place to "Like" and Share.

Comment

SAVING KONG OLAV.

Reminder to all of you that wish to follow the Kong Olav and the stories from many of her crew, this page on facebook (unfortunately only available in Norwegian) is a place to "Like" and Share.

Comment

A video of Kong Olav's final trip, extended version:

http://www.nrk.no/video/siste_reis_f...ne/Hurtigrute/

Comment

The new facebook group "Saving Kong Olav" is brimming with new posts and images from many crewmembers!

How about a fantastic model of Kong Olav: having ordered Sanct Svithun myself (see the Italian ships thread), I also consider ordering this one.

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsa...nkode=31002258

And the price is also extremely reasonable!

Comment

A video of Kong Olav's final trip, extended version:

http://www.nrk.no/video/siste_reis_f...ne/Hurtigrute/
                          Fantastic clip! Thanks for the link

Comment

Interview with Captain Audun Dybedal of Kong Olav, in Norwegian, from Norwegian TV:

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/n...dane/1.7901973

Comment

Just letting you all now that the "Saving Kong Olav" group on facebook now contains a wealth of information and photos from and about this ship!

Comment

Any chance of us seeing them here, J.O., for those of us not on FB?
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X