Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ship in no. 4 is neither Midnatsol, Narvik nor Vesterålen, but a small, local ferry.
    ---
    Regards Sigve.
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

You will know best, Sigve, but I'm talking 1990, don't forget, and the first Midnatsol. We would have met round about that location, but difficult to be precise.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in 1990 Midnatsol (and her class) looked like this:
        ---
        Regards Sigve.

Regards; Sigve.
        ---
        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Ah thanks, Sigve. Never mind.
          Ivy

Comment

I now have very few Kong Olav locations still needing ID-ing. These two I'm pretty sure are at Båtsfjord, the only alternative being Havøysund. In both places we were there only 30 mins.

The stern of Kong Olav is just visible in the second photo. Any ideas, anyone?
            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              I now have very few Kong Olav locations still needing ID-ing. These two I'm pretty sure are at Båtsfjord, the only alternative being Havøysund. In both places we were there only 30 mins.
              The stern of Kong Olav is just visible in the second photo. Any ideas, anyone?
              This is Båtsfjord, no doubt about that.
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                This is Båtsfjord, no doubt about that.
                Asimut, you were sitting there waiting! Many thanks.
                Ivy

Comment

Examined the ship diagrams in my booklet and that ship in no. 4 photo has got to be the Midnatsol, Narvik or Vesterålen, I think. The first has a one colour funnel and although it's hard to see in my pic. I think that corresponds. But what clinches it for me and assuming that this is at Honningsvåg the Kong Olav left there on 14 May going north while the Vesterålen was still at Kirkenes, and the Narvik was 2 days behind us.
                  What say you?
                  The name of the ferry in picture no 4 was in 1990 "Porsangerfjord" and servicing the Kåfjord - Honningsvåg line before the tunnel opened in 1992. Before the tunnel, this ferry connection was the only way to reach North Cape by car, and in the peak season, waiting time could be up to 14 hours.

More information on the ferry here:

http://fjordfaehren.de/no_f/stavanger1973.htm

Comment

In which case the 2nd photo would be at the dock and the 3rd photo a view from the docked ship?

The 3rd photo shows the bird mountain Sværholtklubben which you are passing on the way to Kjøllefjord.
                    Best wishes from
                    Bengt Domben

Comment

Originally posted by ostafjells View Post
                      The name of the ferry in picture no 4 was in 1990 "Porsangerfjord" and servicing the Kåfjord - Honningsvåg line before the tunnel opened in 1992. Before the tunnel, this ferry connection was the only way to reach North Cape by car, and in the peak season, waiting time could be up to 14 hours.

More information on the ferry here:

http://fjordfaehren.de/no_f/stavanger1973.htm
                      Had a look at that site - so many changes of ownership and names. Thank you for taking the trouble to point me to it. Ostafjells, where does the tunnel start from?

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                      The 3rd photo shows the bird mountain Sværholtklubben which you are passing on the way to Kjøllefjord.
                      Thanks, Asimut, without knowing the island's name I took the photo just because of the birds.
                      Ivy

Comment

where does the tunnel start from?
                        North Cape Tunnel is an undersea road tunnel on Euro 69 in Finnmark. The tunnel goes under Magerøysundet between the mainland and Magerøya. It is 6 875 feet long and goes down to 212 meters below sea level.

The tunnel was opened on 15 June 1999 and is part of the FATIMA project, the mainland connection to Magerøya. Together with Honningsvag tunnel replaced the North Cape Tunnel ferry line between Kåfjord and Honningsvåg.

The tunnel is cold ports on each end that keep the cold out in winter to prevent ice formation in the mountain walls. These gates will open automatically when a vehicle is approaching. The summer is normally the gates are always open.

North Cape Tunnel is the longest road tunnel in Finnmark, and it was the second world's longest undersea road tunnel when it opened in 1999 after Tokyo Aqua-tunnel.

Honningsvåg tunnel is a tunnel on the European route 69 in North Cape municipality in Finnmark. The tunnel runs between the inner Baklia and Kobbholet, west of Honningsvag on Magerøya. The tunnel is 4 443 meters long and was opened in 1999.

Together with the North Cape tunnel is Honningsvag tunnel part of the connection to the mainland Magerøya, the so-called FATIMA project, which replaced the ferry line between Kåfjord on the mainland and Honningsvag.

Information from Wikipedia

The map over the area

Last edited by Azimut; April 7th, 2010, 14:25.
                        Best wishes from
                        Bengt Domben

Comment

Thanks, Bengt. And of course, the tunnel opened in 1999, not 92 as I said

Comment

Asimut, you went to a lot of trouble to answer my question, and I thank you. With all the photos on CV and extra information like this, I'm learning more and more about Norway.
                            Ivy

Comment

There is now also a facebook group called Save the "Kong Olav", for anyone who'd like to see this veteran back in Norway.

Even though it is far fetched, nobody can stop us from dreaming.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                There is now also a facebook group called Save the "Kong Olav", for anyone who'd like to see this veteran back in Norway.

Even though it is far fetched, nobody can stop us from dreaming.
                                I would like to express a most sincere thank you to all that has joined this facebook group and to all those that have recommended the group to other friends. Within a very few days, the group has grown rapidly, and based on that, it is evident that I'm not the only one who wishes to see this veteran return back home - even though it is a really far fetched dream of mine.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X