Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ostafjells, thank you so very much for your two posts. The Glomfjord area looks very likely for the bridge as I follow my photo route on the map. As to the other photos, I looked at web pics. of Fykanvannet but they weren't all that helpful, so I've just been searching Google Earth trying to find the picture below. I think it is my glacial valley with the mountain wall, though I was obviously mistaken about the Operation Muskatoon memorial being around there. (Thanks for that, I'll add it to my notes, and I think I saw it on the satellite version in Google maps, will check it out later.) The spot in G.E. at 66 degrees 57'43" N, 13 degrees 47'55" E. on the Storvika road 17, looks likely. It is between my views of the Svartisen and the Maelstrom. What do you think?
    I told a friend that if I posted a photo of a couple of waves someone in CV would know just where they were. The encyclopaedic knowledge you all have is incredible, and I am grateful.

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ostafjells View Post
      Great photos!

This is how I identify the pictures:

1. Landegode Lighthous, a little while after departure Bodø
      2. Stamsund
      3. Stamsund
      4. Stamsund (The low tide is remarkable on that pier)
      5. Svolvær, with the Ferry "Skutvik", now sailing as "Maharlika Siete".
      6.Svolvær
      I agree with ostafjells... except from number 3:

Picture 1 shows the island of Landego, with Landgo Lighthouse, just north of Bodø. This would have been taken about 45-60 minutes after Bodø, just before heading out on the open sea-stretch of Vestfjorden.

Picture number 3 though, I think is just before entering port of Svolvær.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by ostafjells View Post
        This one looks like it could be in the Glomfjord Area. The sunken U-Boat could be from the "Operation Musketoon" which was an attack on the power plant in Glomfjord done by british and norwegian soldiers during world war 2. The road you describe could be up to "Fykanvannet"
        I found two memorials:

http://www.meloyinfo.no/?bilde_id=2134

http://www.meloyinfo.no/?bilde_id=2085

Maybe you can remember the stone?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          I agree with ostafjells... except from number 3:

Picture 1 shows the island of Landego, with Landgo Lighthouse, just north of Bodø. This would have been taken about 45-60 minutes after Bodø, just before heading out on the open sea-stretch of Vestfjorden.

Picture number 3 though, I think is just before entering port of Svolvær.
          See the photo at
          http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...e=img_1140.jpg

It is almost identical to my no. 3 plus a small section of the pier, and is labelled Stamsund. Photos 2 and 4 you agree as Stamsund and they are all in strict order now. Will check out to the 2 memorial sites later, though whether I'll recognise any pictures after all this time I don't know, and I took no photos there. Pity.
          Ivy

Comment

Oh, yes.... I can now see that the image in question is actually outside Stamsund!

We have an awesome wealth of knowledge and it's great when we are able to determine a place by just a few rocks, islands and some water.

Comment

Oh, yes.... I can now see that the image in question is actually outside Stamsund!

We have an awesome wealth of knowledge and it's great when we are able to determine a place by just a few rocks, islands and some water.
              It certainly is great, and I'm constantly amazed when I ask for help and someone comes up with the answer no matter how indeterminate the picture is. Trouble is - I'm begining to think as I look at one of my problem pics. "Just ask, they'll know".
              I had a look at the two sites you quoted but unfortunately no bells even tinkled faintly. I just have nothing on that monument except my scribbled note that I saw it. Strange. Unless it was pointed out at a distance by the coach driver, too far away to see properly. Similarly with the Viking graves monument, although I did a minute drawing of its shape, a sort of rectangle with one corner cut away. However, no photo, so it will just sit in my memory that "I was there, somewhere"!
              Cheers.
              Ivy

Comment

I'm back on Kong Olav now. Can anyone help with these two photos? I think the bridge is between Finnsnes and Senja, is that right? But I don't know where the ship is in the next photo, it could be Finnsnes, Harstad or Tromsø, as the following batch of photos are all at the latter town.

In hopes.
                Ivy

Comment

I cannot help you with the locations, but i must say how nice it is to see that last photo of Kong Olav. It's fantastic that people like yourself take the trouble to scan them and share them with all of us. I often makes me wonder when we look for such photos like these, just how many people must have dozens of such images tucked away in an old box somewhere. Really good to see some come to light!
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I wonder if the bridge is taken at Sortland?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      I cannot help you with the locations, but i must say how nice it is to see that last photo of Kong Olav. It's fantastic that people like yourself take the trouble to scan them and share them with all of us. I often makes me wonder when we look for such photos like these, just how many people must have dozens of such images tucked away in an old box somewhere. Really good to see some come to light!
                      I wonder if the bridge is taken at Sortland?
                      Thank you Steve.B. I started by using my 12 year-old scanner, which meant connecting it to no. 2 laptop which lives on the floor in my tiny place and the scanner is so old that it won't work with no.3. I got weary of sprawling on the floor getting them on to no.2 via the USB key, transferring on to no.3 then again and again. It brought on my determination to get an all-in-one, so now production has speeded up. But it's so nice to share these photos with people who are really interested, it makes it all worthwhile. When you've all finished identifying my queries I'll post the Kong Olav photos (about a dozen) all together.

Pakarang, I don't think so. There's a picture of Sortland bridge in the Hurtigruten booklet, and all the piers seem to be solid, whereas in my photo only the central ones are. Ah! just found this on Google http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl at Finnsnes. What do you think?
                      Ivy

Comment

at Finnsnes. What do you think?
                        It's Finnsnes all right (try a Google picture search, and there it is...)
                        ---
                        Regards Sigve.
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---
                        IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                          It's Finnsnes all right (try a Google picture search, and there it is...) Regards Sigve.
                          I agree. Here’s an enlarged bit from one of my own photos from 2009 – not quite the same angle but enough of the buildings on the right to confirm Finnsnes.

Comment

Definately Finnsnes. From my own trips, I remember the Finnsnes as one of the very few wooden piers.

Comment

I was updating the titles on my hard drive, return to CV and there is a further post. That's great, many thanks.
                              Now this batch. I'm almost 100% sure the first is Honningsvåg. Similarly the fourth is, I think, leaving it. In which case the 2nd photo would be at the dock and the 3rd photo a view from the docked ship?
                              Dare I ask what is the other ship in no. 4?

I've set the stopwatch ticking. Seriously, you are all so quickly on to all my queries and I really appreciate it. Also it's fun.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; October 20th, 2010, 22:46.
                              Ivy

Comment

Examined the ship diagrams in my booklet and that ship in no. 4 photo has got to be the Midnatsol, Narvik or Vesterålen, I think. The first has a one colour funnel and although it's hard to see in my pic. I think that corresponds. But what clinches it for me and assuming that this is at Honningsvåg the Kong Olav left there on 14 May going north while the Vesterålen was still at Kirkenes, and the Narvik was 2 days behind us.
                                What say you?
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X