Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thick.

So what am I doing wrong now? No pics. I obeyed Flickr's instructions but should I have left out the "<h ref" at the beginning of each URL? Will some kind soul help this bewildered shipmate?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      So what am I doing wrong now? No pics. I obeyed Flickr's instructions but should I have left out the "<h ref" at the beginning of each URL? Will some kind soul help this bewildered shipmate?
      I checked out your post and copied the actual page the image resides at, and added the IMG tags at each end: without all that <h ref... stuff.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Your images are showing above... unless Pakarang fixed them for you?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          The first one looks like a narrow sound just north of Rørvik.

The last one, is definitely my former home town of Rørvik with Nærøysundet Bridge in the background!.
          Just checked my negatives again as to order. The narrow sound one was taken before the bridge one, so is Rørvik north of the bridge, Pakarang? Neither my atlas nor the Hurtigruten map show it clearly. Or have I got my next photo - which I had thought was unloading at Rørvik - misnamed? I now want to post that one so that you can put me right if necessary. If I'm right, we were going backwards... But first, Thickie wants to know whether it was the URL in the address bar you copied?
          Ivy

Comment

I'm now fairly sure the narrow sound in the above image is STOKKSUNDET, about 4 hours before your stop at Rørvik.

The one with the bridge is taken just off the dock at Rørvik.

(Yes, I copied the URL where the image resides and added the IMG tags at each end )

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              I'm now fairly sure the narrow sound in the above image is STOKKSUNDET, about 4 hours before your stop at Rørvik.

The one with the bridge is taken just off the dock at Rørvik.

(Yes, I copied the URL where the image resides and added the IMG tags at each end )
              Thank you. I've just Googled the map of Rørvik and that shows the position of the bridge very clearly, so with your second comment I can now see how I took the photos. I won't post the one of unloading at Rørvik as I'm now satisfied that it is correct, thanks to you.
              OK, now this one of the sister? ship.

We were heading north after Rørvik, next port Ørnes due 9.15 a.m. According to the daily schedule we passed across the Arctic Circle between 7 and 8 a.m. This would have been 12 May. The next photo I took was a view from the Kong Olav of the Svartisen glacier. Now this is exciting - I have the Summer 1990 sailing list and if this other ship was a Hurtigruten it looks as if she was the Nordnorge which was at Bodø that same day, due Trondheim on 13th. What do you think? My photo is not clear, but there may be something that could identify the other ship.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; March 8th, 2010, 23:58.
              Ivy

Comment

Nordnorge

Just seen the picture of the Nordnorge now back in service, but it's not the one I mentioned in my last post. The image in my 1990 sailing list is of a ship about the same size as the Kong Olav. I suppose it went to the breaker's yard?
                Ivy

Comment

There were only two ships of this class with funnel and masts placed like this; so if this picture is taken from Kong Olav, the picture shows Nordnorge (1964) all right. She also has a lower funnel than Kong Olav. About the breakers yard I'm not sure.
                  ---
                  Regards Sigve.
                  Last edited by Sigve; March 9th, 2010, 08:24.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---
                  IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

The picture in post #261 shows "Nordnorge" from 1964, we've established that.
                    She was sold in August 1996 to a company called Templeman Shipping in Panama and renamed "Wordlink". Then sometimes in the few months left of 1996, she was sold again to Universal Enterprises and renamed "Island Explorer"...., then finally, in February 2006 she was sold to India for scrapping.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      The picture in post #261 shows "Nordnorge" from 1964, we've established that.
                      She was sold in August 1996 to a company called Templeman Shipping in Panama and renamed "Wordlink". Then sometimes in the few months left of 1996, she was sold again to Universal Enterprises and renamed "Island Explorer"...., then finally, in February 2006 she was sold to India for scrapping.
                      Originally posted by Sigve View Post
                      There were only two ships of this class with funnel and masts placed like this; so if this picture is taken from Kong Olav, the picture shows Nordnorge (1964) all right. She also has a lower funnel than Kong Olav. About the breakers yard I'm not sure.
                      ---
                      Regards Sigve.
                      That was quick! Many thanks to you both, I can now ID the Nordnorge on the Flickr photo. I would like to acknowledge your help there using just your CV ID. Any objections? Otherwise I will just say something general.
                      Ivy

Comment

That was quick! Many thanks to you both, I can now ID the Nordnorge on the Flickr photo. I would like to acknowledge your help there using just your CV ID. Any objections? Otherwise I will just say something general.
                        If you mean making free advertisement for us, please do go ahead spreadin the world of the Internet's most friendliest forum.

Comment

Next query

Now this one? We had a coach trip from Ørnes to meet up with the ship at Bodø. The coach would have left Ørnes about 9.30a.m. and the ship sailed from Bodø at 3.00 p.m., having been there a couple of hours. The next photo after this was on a fjord bank right opposite the Svartisen glacier, and then my photos are of a drive up a glacial valley where there was a memorial to a sunken U-boat, iron-age discoveries and a stone symbol marking the site of Viking graves. I remember wondering where on earth the road could go as what seemed to be an impenetratable wall of mountain loomed ahead. Further photos are of Saltstraum. At one point we returned to Ørnes for lunch, I think it was after seeing the glacier, so this bridge would have been early on in the trip.
                          Any ideas?
                          Ivy

Comment

Stamsund and Svolvaer

Well, my last photo seems to have stumped everyone. Could you now help confirm this batch? We had left Bodø and were making for the Lofotens, first call Stamsund. I'm not sure whether the first pic. is from the ship to the Lofotens or vice versa? No.2 I'm sure is at Stamsund as no.3, taken just afterwards while still on board, I ID'ed from an almost identical shot on the Web. I think that no.4 is still at Stamsund. is this correct?
                            Now I think that no.5 is at the next call Svolvaer, it is part of a panoramic group I took while there of which no.6 was another one. I managed to match up (hopefully correctly) the mountains and buildings with some on the Web! But I'd be glad of your confirmation of this batch.
                            Next time I have another bridge, I know what is at one end but not at the other!

Ivy

Comment

Great photos!

This is how I identify the pictures:

1. Landegode Lighthous, a little while after departure Bodø
                              2. Stamsund
                              3. Stamsund
                              4. Stamsund (The low tide is remarkable on that pier)
                              5. Svolvær, with the Ferry "Skutvik", now sailing as "Maharlika Siete".
                              6.Svolvær

Comment

Now this one? We had a coach trip from Ørnes to meet up with the ship at Bodø. The coach would have left Ørnes about 9.30a.m. and the ship sailed from Bodø at 3.00 p.m., having been there a couple of hours. The next photo after this was on a fjord bank right opposite the Svartisen glacier, and then my photos are of a drive up a glacial valley where there was a memorial to a sunken U-boat, iron-age discoveries and a stone symbol marking the site of Viking graves. I remember wondering where on earth the road could go as what seemed to be an impenetratable wall of mountain loomed ahead. Further photos are of Saltstraum. At one point we returned to Ørnes for lunch, I think it was after seeing the glacier, so this bridge would have been early on in the trip.
                                Any ideas?
                                This one looks like it could be in the Glomfjord Area. The sunken U-Boat could be from the "Operation Musketoon" which was an attack on the power plant in Glomfjord done by british and norwegian soldiers during world war 2. The road you describe could be up to "Fykanvannet"

Comment

Working...
                                X