Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    Seven steamers, build up with new, efficient engines and safety standards, making her simple, but comfortable could run with less then half costs through the Norwegian winter and set new standards.
    You just said something really wonderful there Ralf, and I wanted to quote it as that is the essence of my dream also.

The old ships, but to make them work and be profitable in today's world, restored up to a brand new modern standard.

That is what I see necessary with our King as well: much of the interior and her equipments as well must be completely stripped out, and new materials must be used and functional spaces created, BUT, still saving pieces of the old charm and workmanship that these ships had once upon a time.

In my ultimate dream, I see Kong Olav like this: the old shell intact, with a dark blue hull and a yacht like finish, interiors in art deco: elegant, timeless and modern functional at the very same time. A truly unique vessel gutted for old molded wood, with deteriorated steel replaced and at the same time, with still a lot of the original features intact and preserved. That is my dream, as a sailing vessel or as a tied up Hotel Kong Olav with fine restaurants and elegant accommodations.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      The most important thing to keep is your dreams. Without such dreams, man will not get much done....
      How very true, without having dreams where would we all be? Probably still living in a cave somewhere. Not much is possible without there first being the dream.

So absolutely nothing wrong with dreams - especially when they are about something we are all so passionate about. Especially when you have had such close experiences with a ship. And after reading Jan-Olav's recollections concerning this particular ship - visiting her during her final hours in Norway, and then eventually finding her again many thousands of miles from home, I think many of us now feel a connection with this vessel, even those of us that had never had the opportunity to travel on her when she was in regular service.

Pictures and photos paint a thousand words, but add a story to go with those pictures, then the whole lot will mysteriously draw you in even closer.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

or as a tied up Hotel Kong Olav with fine restaurants and elegant accommodations.
        A wild thought (only connected to the name) :
        Why not contact a very well known, very rich, Olav here in Norway to present the idea...?
        When we talk about hotels, I belive Olav Thon could be eccentric enough to stand behind such a project.
        Then again, he's not naive, so he very much want to see his invested money grow.
        But what do I know..., maybe he has special memories from "Kong Olav"...., enough to be interested.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Does anyone know what the current owners plans are for the vessel? Strange how they are just leaving her where she is. Do they have her for sale? I would have thought that if they had totally given up on her then they would try and sell her? Leaving her at anchor seems to be a big risk, if she were to go adrift the owners could end up with a very big bill.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            Does anyone know what the current owners plans are for the vessel? Strange how they are just leaving her where she is. Do they have her for sale? I would have thought that if they had totally given up on her then they would try and sell her? Leaving her at anchor seems to be a big risk, if she were to go adrift the owners could end up with a very big bill.
            I have not seen her being circulated for sale in the Broker network, but last time I said that (about the Andrea) I was proven wrong.

Maybe she is offered on some of the Yacht Broker sites? Does anybody know??

I may try to contact the Owners with an enquiry to see what is their reaction.

Comment

Is she still afloat?

Comment

Why not contact a very well known, very rich, Olav here in Norway to present the idea...?
                When we talk about hotels, I belive Olav Thon could be eccentric enough to stand behind such a project.
                Then again, he's not naive, so he very much want to see his invested money grow.
                But what do I know..., maybe he has special memories from "Kong Olav"...., enough to be interested.
                DREAM ON...
                Money-people only relate to yield (interest/avkastning). Period. No matter what.
                But, what the heck, why not try to contact him (though top-dogs ARE hopelessly inaccessible).
                No stone must be left unturned...

Comment

Originally posted by Stud Baker View Post
                  Is she still afloat?
                  She is stlil afloat, and at anchor. A contact of mine living in a tiny fishing village at the Thai side of the border, could tell me she is still in the same position.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder
                    Ehhh... Jan-Olav?

Is she still afloat?
                    She is stil afloat, and at anchor. A contact of mine living in a tiny fishing village at the Thai side of the border, could tell me she is still in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      She is stlil afloat, and at anchor. A contact of mine living in a tiny fishing village at the Thai side of the border, could tell me she is still in the same position.
                      Hmmm.... Ok.
                      At least she is still "alive".
                      She is a true beauty, and it makes me sad just thinking about her all alone in a forreign country...
                      Great pictures of her, though!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm.... Ok.
                        At least she is still "alive".
                        She is a true beauty, and it makes me sad just thinking about her all alone in a forreign country...
                        Great pictures of her, though!
                        Thanks!
                        I absolutely agree with you: this is indeed a very special ship which never deserved to be left rotting in a tropical climate. So undignified and even more respect less thinking about the name she carries. She deserves a better retirement.

Comment

I absolutely agree with you: this is indeed a very special ship which never deserved to be left rotting in a tropical climate. So undignified and even more respect less thinking about the name she carries. She deserves a better retirement.
                          I keep on wondering though: what is in store for this ship?

Will she remain at anchor, rotting and decaying, until the day when she is caught up in high winds, brake her anchor chain and drift aground... or, will she eventually be scrapped as is, on location...

As the years go by, her salvage seems more and more remote of a possibility.

We may not be able to save this ship after all, but is there any chance to save pieces of her: her ship's bell, artworks, bulkheads, a port hole, documents left on board, furnitures, .... even the small parts of her....

I wonder, I wonder...

Comment

I wonder, I wonder...
                            And since chains has become sort of my profession, I wonder who's on board in between years to change the anchor chain(s)...?

Or does not the climate and sea have the same effect with rust in her area as it has here...?

(I can't imagine she hang on to the same chain year after year after year).
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I keep on wondering though: what is in store for this ship?

Will she remain at anchor, rotting and decaying, until the day when she is caught up in high winds, brake her anchor chain and drift aground... or, will she eventually be scrapped as is, on location...

As the years go by, her salvage seems more and more remote of a possibility.

We may not be able to save this ship after all, but is there any chance to save pieces of her: her ship's bell, artworks, bulkheads, a port hole, documents left on board, furnitures, .... even the small parts of her....

I wonder, I wonder...
                              Yes. I agree.
                              The ship herself may be lost, but pieces of her should be saved.
                              I am very interested in items from her...

Comment

And since chains has become sort of my profession, I wonder who's on board in between years to change the anchor chain(s)...?

Or does not the climate and sea have the same effect with rust in her area as it has here...?

(I can't imagine she hang on to the same chain year after year after year).
                                The first two three years, she was anchored with port anchor. Then, when she broke her anchor during a monsoon storm and almost drifted onto the shore, the starboard anchor was deployed.

Till this day, her starboard anchor is still sitting on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                                X