Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kong Olav - A legend vessel still around even though on artificial life support.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From a flat Vestfjorden:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

An old painting I never finished:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

From a very delayed departure from Rørvik:

Comment

Even longer back, during her VDS years:

Comment

My first try at getting close to the ship almost got me arrested in Burma:

Comment

Local paper Ytringen was the very first Norwegian newspaper to feature an image of Kong Olav:

Comment

Kong Olav's deck plan:

Comment

It's time finish off this thread, with a wish: save the King!

A very rough wish of how I would like to eventually see the ship again: Hotel Kong Olav back home in Stavanger:

Comment

That's it!

Thank you all for the patience and for looking.

I would like to repeat a few links at the end, and a wish that these images shall not be posted onto other sites across the Internet without explicit written permission. I ask readers to kindly respect the hard job it was to both arrange for these pictures being taken and to get the appropriate permission to travel for the visit.

The story: Save the Kong Olav

Kindly sign the petition to save Kong Olav.

Comment

I wonder; does a hurtigrute have to be big and ultramodern, like a cruiseship to please and attract passengers...?
                      I mean, there are alot of passengers complaining about "Lofoten" and "Nordstjernen", but what will happen if someone took out the complete interior of "Kong Olav" and rebuilt it totally up to todays standard and like a luxury liner...? Could it be a ship to use along our coast as a hurtigrute, with only satisfied passengers and 100% more modern than LIXN and LATU...?
                      (I mean, if LATU gives up after all her technical hickups).
                      Would be great to see LIXN and "Kong Olav" in the hurtigruten for many years.
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Such a sad sight to see her left slowly rotting. Made even sadder when you compare the photos of when she was full of life and in service.

Sadly i feel dreams may well be all we have when it comes to thoughts of her coming home again. I guess we have to consider the fact that there are 3 other vessels of her era that will get priority - Nordstjernen, Lofoten and the old Finnmarken. Will there be the money for these 3, let alone a forth? And thinking about it, we must also consider the ex Harald Jarl - The Andrea, she is up to more modern specs and yet her future is far from certain. So with the Kong Olav, that would make 5 of the older Hurtigrutens. Yes i know and understand that to all that know these ships individually it's very important that they survive, but being realistic can we really hope that 5 vessels from one era in Hurtigruten history survive for future generations to enjoy? Or would that be pushing our luck a little too far.

But putting reality aside, i really wish a happy future could be made possible for her, just the thought of her steaming along her old routes again is really exciting. After all, she must be tired of all of that warm water lapping around her, she must be longing to feel the icy cold waters of the north again!

Like i say, getting that engine running again will be the easy part, sadly the hard part will be keeping it running for more than a few minutes, in ten years of non running, untold problems will have built up - corroded and blocked cooling, sludge in oil ways and pipes, perished gaskets and seals. And having said it will be easy to fire her up, that can also depend on a couple of things, the biggest concern would be water. If her stacks have been open to the elements for so long, then there is a very good chance that rain water will have found it's way down into the engine. And you don't have to be a genius to work out that that's not good news for any engine. You might be lucky and get away with water standing in the engine for a month or so, but water inside an engine for years is a different matter. And even if water was not a problem and she did turn over and fire up with little more than just a flush of the fuel system, you would still have a very big job on your hands stripping it down and checking everything - you would be a bit foolish to believe that everything was fine purely because the engine was running. And then of course, once you was happy that the main engine was good to go you could turn your attention to everything else in the engine room - gensets, electrical systems and all of the other auxiliary equipment!

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        This is the Engine Room emergency control for the Controllable Pitch Propeller (CPP)
                        Made by now defunct A.M.Liaaen in Alesund. (Main control in the Wheel House), which I hope we will get to see later)
                        For some reason it did not even occur to me that Kong Olav would have a variable pitch propeller, so i immediately dismissed it from my mind. But looking more closely at the photo i can clearly see the degrees of pitch indicator - how i didn't spot that first time around i do not know
                        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          That would be the best option, but she should definitely take advantage of the cheap labor in the countries around her location, for an overall full refurbishment before a possible long trek home is initiated.
                          Cheap labour only counts for the cosmetic part, such as chipping and painting and maybe the carpentry etc. in the interior.

As a stationary hotel ship a lot of the expensive work in the engine room could be dispensed with.

This ship need major overhaul to her machinery if she is going anywhere on her own again. That requires spare parts and skills, which is not cheap anywhere and cannot easily be done where she is now.

Nearest ship repair centre with that kind of skills is in Singapore or Batam, which means an expensive towage, while she could be loaded up right there (in Renong or close vicinity) "as is" without the need for dry docking or re-certification of any kind.

Comment

Thank you very much for all your inputs on the images. They are all very valid observations and I believe very accurate.

Such a restoration project will be an enormous undertaking, and it will cost time, skills, labour and most importantly, a lot of money. Naturally, there have been far worse projects that has been restored, but if this project is to ever see reality, there must be a strong backbone by a group which has money to spend.

As mentioned by Steve, starting the engine may be relatively easy for a short while, but to start it and run it for propulsion over an extended time, a whole basket, a Pandora box if you may, of problems may arise. Many valid points in his comment must be considered and thought off, before the ship will ever be able to take paying guests on board.

ombugge also has some very important and valid points, I guess they also would be extremely important to have ironed out before any salvage is undertaken. Not all can be done in Asia before setting sail, some things may cost both an arm and a leg.

Personally, even though I really wish to see her saved, I guess we have to be realistic, it's likely to not happen. There are already several other ships of the same generation afloat and in some kind of service, including Andrea (ex Harald Jarl) and which would be much easier projects. Then, we also have Finnmarken on land in Stokmarknes - a ship which the Norwegian government see no responsibility in keeping (as opposed to the enormous Opera house project and a a new folk museum project in Oslo).

But my dreams, those can not be taken away by anyone. I'll keep my dreams.

Comment

But my dreams, those can not be taken away by anyone. I'll keep my dreams.
                              The most important thing to keep is your dreams. Without such dreams, man will not get much done....
                              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Such dreams lead us together. What would this forum be without our nostalgic attitudes? This fantastic report helps to keep awake the dreams in our minds - also as such for the France/Norway enthusiasts and the RVL-freaks. Even the Shtandart-report, although about a new ship, keeps alive our nostalgic feelings.

Steve, you may be right with your statement. Five old steamers are maybe to much to preserve, but there is also exPolarlys/CaribbeanMercy/HopeII anywhere and in some stormy nights i dream about restoring the restaurant ship from Belgium back into Hakon Jarl again.

Seven steamers, build up with new, efficient engines and safety standards, making her simple, but comfortable could run with less then half costs through the Norwegian winter and set new standards.

So this is my dream. I also would keep MS, TF and FM in duty, also VA, because this generation also has its place in Hurtigruten history. The other ships could be partly chartered out to oil companies, partly take the high passenger numbers in summer. Maybe it would also a good idea to change the big vessels to another time schedule so they can leave Bergen each Saturday. Thats better for tourists.... but now i am going far OT!

Again thank you, Jan Olav, for this wonderful report. Kong Olav has get a place in my heart, although i never visited her...
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X