No announcement yet.

::: Roald Amundsen :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She is in Tromso, getting ready for her first paying guests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KE8sVz5p2Y

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      She is in Tromso, getting ready for her first paying guests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KE8sVz5p2Y
      Nice LIVE feed from Tromsø.

Will she be christened at Tromsø, and is the first inaugural cruise supposed to start today?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

«Roald Amundsen» moored at Prostneset quay 8 earlier this morning. I was driving out of the city this morning and had only time to take a few pictures of the ship.But next time she arrives at Tromsø I hope i can get some more photos of her.

Roald Amundsen by DS Lyngen, on Flickr

Best wishes from Bengt Domben

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much for that Bengt. I'm excited to see this ship in the context of a familiar location. I admit I still have to get used to that straight bow though!

Originally posted by DS Lyngen View Post
        «Roald Amundsen» moored at Prostneset quay 8 earlier this morning. I was driving out of the city this morning and had only time to take a few pictures of the ship.But next time she arrives at Tromsø I hope i can get some more photos of her.

Thank you so very much for this image: all the images I have seen so far have been mobile-phone quality with uneven horizon and parts of the ship cut off. She looks not too bad, it certainly takes some time to get used to her design, but in a couple of years, I'll think nothing of it.

My curious observations tells me that the funnel looks low, and the mast can probably be laid flat. I wonder what her sailing height is, and if she could fit under bridges in Norway (which is around 40+ meters for the most part). Lots of balcony cabins and panoramic windows. I'm curious to see the first images taken inside that glass-row on top of the bow... what that area looks like.

I see she will be in Trondheim on July 15th 2019, so that will be a day to wait for. At least for me.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          I tend to agree she is not a stylish ship. Too "boring" is how I would describe her. No doubt she will grow on many folk, but at present, she looks "old" and that uptight bow is surely not stylish at all. Have no plans to travel on her.

After one call cancelled, we finally got to see MS Roald Amundsen with our own eyes here in Kristiansund.
        The ship arrived at 07:45 local July 8th, and I was armed and ready

First sight via Markussundet inlet
        IMGP3179 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Nice bow. At least I think so (then again, I love old classic ocean liners)
        IMGP3183 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

Listing a bit as they turn to dock at Storkaia in front of the AMFI Storkaia Brygge shopping mall...
        IMGP3189 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

...when they "suddenly" remembered they have the cargo- and passenger doors on their port side. Using azimuth, it looked like the bow was fixed and the ship turned like on a dime. Impressive.
        IMGP3196 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr

I have my personal opinion about new passenger ship design, but I belive the RA has something..., don't know what, but I like it
        IMGP3198 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Tommi
          Tommi commented
          Editing a comment
          These pictures are actually the first ones from which I can get a feeling about how the ship actually looks like.
          Despite being a bit commercial in design, it actually has a nice touch.
          Those dining room windows are gigantic!

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          There are a lot of glass on that front end of this ship. The inclined ones some levels up is large but will receive less direct force from any "green seas" being shipped over that vertical bow than the smaller individual windowpane all the way up Fwrd. on a lower level.
          Going across the Drake passage I suspect this ship will see some pretty rough conditions. I just hope they haven't relied too much on computer simulations and calculations, but added in a little of the good ol' safety margins.

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          As for the bow windows/glass, they say it is made just like c0ckpit windows of large passenger aircraft.

The RA to be officially named in Antarctic as the first ship to be so: https://www.smp.no/nyheter/2019/07/1...s-19471719.ece

Comment

A nearly 20 min. walk around the RA with a lively guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iSkKkLwqKs

Comment

• Tommi
            Tommi commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks splendid! Surely a enjoyable ride.
            Personally, I'm a bit sceptical about all those video screens onboard.

Awesome images from the maiden call to Kristiansund, Sterkoder. You nailed it when it comes to documenting this auspicious day for your port.

Can't wait to see her myself on Monday morning when she comes to Trondheim for her maiden call. I'm armed and ready too! Praying for some better weather than what is forecasted.

Thanks for the link to the video, will enjoy that one later tonight with a glass of red wine!

Comment

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you :-)
            Hope you get to take more pictures from different angels and more detail photos than me. I had a job to attend to, so I didn't get the usual time I'm used to, to drive around and take photos from all the 'lands' in this city :-)

Another nice video of RA:

https://vimeo.com/331491911

Comment

Roald Amundsen just arrived in Aalesund for her maiden visit as an active cruise ship.
            I'll be heading to town for some pictures, but no close access due to ISPS.

Comment

Here is some pictures from RA's first visit to Aalesund today:

See through cruise ship:

Some people for scale:

Boat landing with Polar circle boats alongside:

Comment

Walk around as far as allowed:

Pakarang view:

The side doors open on this side to:

Ready to depart for Trondheim:

Comment

I talked to some German passengers and a few of the Pinoy crews who had been on Midnatsol previously. They all said this was a magnificent ship.

Comment

The once proud boast that that I had sailed on all Hurtigruten's current fleet recovered from a Spitsbergen haitus, but now really does seem a thing of the past, especially with Fridtjof Nansen soon to follow. But not having even managed to get to Norway to photograph Roald Amundsen really was getting to me. I was cheered up and utterly delighted to see Bengt's photo in Tromsø. Now it is wonderful that other dear friends along the coast also managed to see her. Perhaps you have not been alone in your interest in this expedition ship - I notice on the home page that "Most users ever online was 3,039 at 14:51 July 13th, 2019"!

Seen in familiar contexts she does seem altogether bigger than when she was under construction - does the general public find that chunky look reassuring for polar explorations I wonder? I'll have to get used to all those balcony cabins, and am only just starting to relate the 'discontinuous red hurtigruten line' to lifeboats etc.

But it's the straight bow that will take me a while to get used to. Take #35.2 for example. You framed it perfectly Svein - a bit of green hill extending over the bow, the ship's name and bridge wing just included in the left of the picture, and the three white buildings on the right emphasising that the bow's position isn't centre frame and so indicating the direction of travel in the absence of a pointing bow. But I know if I'd been there I would have dithered, not quite sure what to include, and probably missing the crucial moment altogether! However it is the first photo in #35 that captures the bow more three-dimensionally, and I was aware of the gold star for the first time. I love that photo.

And then more love, when ombugge, despite apologising for the port restrictions, achieves the coveted 'pakarang view'! ...and those fascinating peeps inside as bonus shots!

Comment

I really have nothing to add here, other than the images I managed to grab on her maiden visit to Trondheim yesterday, on July 15th 2019.... in 9 degrees Celsius, rain and very autumn-like conditions.

Starting with the image everybody has:

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9531 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Pekarang-Style (or nearly):

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9535 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Departure:

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9543 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9554 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

No idea when we'll see this combination again in the future:

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9559 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Not into the sunset, but into the rain she sails:

2019_07_15 EOS5D-Roald Amundsen maiden call-IMG_9576 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X