No announcement yet.

Antarctica and the Falkland Islands aboard MS Midnatsol - January 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive photos. But the Midnatsol is still too big; I preferred the Polar Pioneer (Aurora) with only 52 pax. But that is me - the scenery does not change, regardless of the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      ....Must feel really odd to travel so far, arrive at the port, and then see MS sitting on the berth so far away from her home.
      This really resonated with me. Back in 2005 it was my first time in the southern hemisphere, and the flights there had been delayed and complicated. To finally reach Usuaia and see the dear familiar hurtigrute ...Nordnorge. Spine-tingling even now, remembering. That moment is right up in the most special and profound travel experiences of my entire life.

And of course the experiences of Antarctica itself were still to follow! - appropriately the motto of Ushuaia is "End of the world, beginning of everything"! Your approach from Chile is new to me, Linray, and I am hugely enjoying your photos and travelogue..

Comment

Originally posted by Linray View Post
        This was the first time leaving the ship on the zodiacs to explore the glacier and look for wild life.
        I suppose that those "docking statations" were added to Midnatsol just before the trip down to the southern hemisphere?

Originally posted by Linray View Post
        This was the first time leaving the ship on the zodiacs to explore the glacier and look for wild life.
        "OXE" is actually such an unique thing as a Swedish diesel outboard engine. It is still sold in very small quantities, but the company is expecting a major breakthrough in the professional market.

Comment

• Linray
          Linray commented
          Editing a comment
          The adaptions for the Antarctic voyages were added when Midnatsol was in dry dock in Germany late 2015/early 2016. I will try and see if I have other photos which show the "docking stations" in more detail.

We did a lot of travelling by Zodiac heading towards Puerto Natales and then the big green and white ferry to Natales. Freezing!!! but in those days the Balcameda glacier reached the sea and looked quite grand. However when I saw a recent photo, half of its ice was gone. Did you get any chance to see converted gaol in Ushuaia displaying photos and stories of Antarctic exploration? And of course the Malvinas artwork on the shore....a very political statement, perhaps.

Comment

• Linray
          Linray commented
          Editing a comment
          We weren't in Ushuaia as we sailed to from and back to Punta Arenas.

As far as I understand and can remember, I think the Midnatsol will be back in Antarctica next year?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Linray
          Linray commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, she leaves Norway around 13/9 and starts her first voyage to Antarctica at the end of October.

One or two photos showing more detail of the 'docking station', from inside and out!

Comment

Our next port of call was Puerto William along the Beagle Channel. This is the home town of Maurice, one of the Expedition Team, and he lead an excursion down to the most southerly part of mainland Chile.

Comment

Maurice with two local farmers.

Farm dog...

Comment

Zodiac crew!

Comment

Next stop was Cape Horn and the big question of the day was would we be able to land. Despite what looked like fairly calm conditions the swell was too high and so sadly landing was not possible. We were however able to circumnavigate the island on which Cape Horn is situated.

Comment

Comment

So, by lunchtime we headed out across Drakes Passage to Antarctica....and as the sun set it seemed to promise that we were going to have a smooth crossing.

Last edited by Linray; August 15th, 2017, 17:56.

Comment

Awesome seeing the docking station from the inside - never seen that before! Thank you for sharing all these awesome trip-images - almost feel like a part of your journey now!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It doesn't really feel a disappointment not landing at Cape Horne when going around the island reults in such impressive views. I don't recollect having seen photos of that sculpture before, and I rather like it. The views from the sea remind me of those of the North Cape from Nordstjernen (and on that voyage it was also as great an experience sailing past the coast of Bear Island as actually landing).

I'm now looking forward to seeing the route you took when you arrived in Antarctica and which places you landed there.

Comment

• Linray
                          Linray commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I wasn't too disappointed when I saw that staircase, that was the decision made for me!! As you say it was impressive sailing around the island. The memorial was inaugurated in December 1992 in memory of all those who have lost their lives in the sea surrounding the Cape.

Yes, it was a bit like looking at North Cape from Nordstjernen, I remember that well. Five days in Antarctica to follow now so plenty of photos!

The next day it seemed more like sailing in the Mediterranean than the South Atlantic Ocean. Never mind, we'd make up for this on the way home!
                        There were plenty of albatross around, not entirely sure which ones, but they looked more like immature birds.

Comment

Working...
                        X