X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yvneac
    started a topic APRIL 2016 LISBONNE-AMSTERDAM ABOARD FRAM

APRIL 2016 LISBONNE-AMSTERDAM ABOARD FRAM

Next Sunday I will embark aboard Fram for an European tour from Lisbon to Amsterdam.
    1 Lisbon
    2 Porto
    3 La Coruna
    4 Gijon
    5 Bilbao
    6 Lorient (not very exotic for me!)
    7 Scilly Islands
    8 Jersey
    9 At sea
    10 Amsterdam

Here is a picture from the Scilly (Hurtigruten catalogue)

• pakarang
    replied
    That last image is really creative, a great spot and well done.... it frames the whole story perfectly like wrapping up a present!

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for your post Cecilia.
    As for the buffet, I must say it was not a big problem.Only a little annoyance during a beautiful voyage.

• Seagull
    replied
    It's been such a delight catching up with your experiences on Fram, Yves.

I missed commenting earlier on the subject of food which you discussed in #19.
    It surprised me that you had buffets for evening dinner, as that differs from the two 'European' itineraries I've taken on Fram. Dinner was served at the table at two sittings, as on the coastal service, and there was the same arrangement regarding the alternate main course displayed daily outside the dining room that could be requested. The first evening was a buffet, as it is in Bergen on the regular route. Other exceptions on the 'Around the British Isles' itinerary were the Filipino buffet night, the very full day to Iona and Staffa tendering with the PC boats, and in Dublin where Fram didn't leave until late evening as many guests wished to dine - and drink! - in the city. Last May on the Norway/Iceland relocation voyage we had 5 buffets out of the 12 evenings, though this was influenced by the technical problem in Eidfjord (resulting in a barbeque out on deck and hotel dinner at Flåm on what had become an overland excursion). There was also a buffet in Olden to accommodate all the National Day activities!

But having said all that, I've a recollection that some of our members have reported the conventional arrangements for dinner on the regular coastal route have changed - and not only on the redesigned ships such as Nordkapp, but also on the newer three ships.

However, on Fram in Antarctica it has always been buffets during the time actually in Antarctica, which successfully allows maximum flexibility in making landings.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Amsterdam marina

Central station in the background

Fram at cruise terminal (close to the city center)

THE END

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Numerous harbours between the sea and Amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Along the canal to Amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Arriving in the Nederlands

At the entrance of the canal

The lock

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Since we can't call at Jersey,Fiona organized a painting studio.Here are the Masters:

And we crossed the Bretagne Brittany ferry and the cape de la Hague at the top of Cotentin peninsula.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Islets,rocks and sunset.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Enjoying the little village of Saint Mary.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    For sailors who dock their boat in a harbour of the Channel, in Normandy or Brittany, the Scillies are an interesting destination, not too far but not so easy to reach, according to the currents, the winds that can be unsettled, and so on (yachtsmen will understand what I mean).
    Years ago, even though I was not a good seafarer (just a modest crewmember in charge of cooking and cellar) I had the opportunity to do this crossing aboard a friend’s boat but unfortunately, the skipper had to cancel at the last minute. Another time I was close to the Islands, on the coast of Cornwall but no way to reach them due to the awful weather.
    Therefore, to be here with Fram was a kind of revenge.
    We had to anchor between the main islands and reach Saint Mary by shuttles, in fact local fishing boats, before wandering in the little village. Sun, blue sky…and one hailstorm, so we experienced the “Scillies climate” in one afternoon.

Turquoise...

Pilot

Leaving Fram

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Wonderful cruise memories to many exotic and historic ports. Travelling (as in cruising) with the Fram to such places seems to be the perfect mode of transportation. I'm falling a bit in love with the Fram when looking at all these - and other - photos of and from on board the ship.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Flag of Brittany (yes it has its own flag.Showy!!)

Traditionaly dressed!

Fram

Leave a comment:

Working...
X