Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spitsbergen has now departed Fosenyard with an ETA Bergen 2016-06-21 13:00UTC (15:00LT).
    So looking good for her first scheduled sailing.

It may be of interest for ais watchers to check the speeds she works up to.
    The ducktail and new bulbous bow should have an effect but Hurtigruten may also work on reduced max/83% engine output to save fuel.

Failing to achieve the contract speed was one of the reasons 'Atlantida' was rejected.

micctoh - I only look on Facebook but an internet search for MS Spitsbergen normally brings up 'Images for ms spitsbergen'
    Selecting one of the images often gives a link to another website.

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

How frustrating ... Seen on the Narvesen in Molde this evening.

She seems to have developed a real liking for Ålesund - I really hope you appreciate the attention Ombugge!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

The naming ceremony will be conducted by adventurer Cecilie Skog from Aalesund: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/2016/06/24...r-12942259.ece

Comment

Ålesund June 22: Spitsbergen developed some problems with machinery and steering when in Geiranger. She was late to Ålesund and stayed docked there for many hours before leaving, cancelling Molde, Kristiansund and Trondheim, and went directly to Rørvik. At the moment she is in Bodø, apparently on schedule.

Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

As far as I understand, she will be in Rørvik tomorrow evening, Thursday June 30th, when they are celebrating HURTIGRUTENS DAG there.... might be well worth going there to finally see here, even though she is expected to also be in Trondheim on Friday morning, July 1st, from 07:00 till 10:00.

Does anyone have any information about er participation at Rørvik tomorrow evening?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Did you all see this youtube video about SPITSBERGEN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efAK5l94kSY

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I finally got to see this new wonder with my own eyes in Aalesund yesterday. (Only from the outside though)
                Arriving on a hot and sunny afternoon:

Tourist enjoying a spot of fishing for mackerel at Skansekaia come extra.
                Last edited by ombugge; August 18th, 2016, 14:14.

Comment

Ready for business:

The pallet lift on this one is only meant for just that:

The duck tail:

Comment

Great shots of the ship!

Had to alter my course yesterday morning when she arrived at Trondheim.

Comment

A short video of her arrival in Aalesund: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRawyshz9js
                      Short because the card was full.

Comment

September 8. 2016:

A small piece of Hurtigruten history; Spitsbergen in Herøystraumen, passing under the Herøy bridge. In her first departure in her own schedule. That is, as a stand in for Midnatsol during her Antarctic absence. Spitsbergen will be in this schedule until May 18, when Mitdnasol will be back.

And the Pakarang view, approaching Torvik:

Departing Torvik, displaying her enormous ducktail:

Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

Big loss of energy?
                          September 8, 2016: When I photographed Spitsbergen in Herøystraumen recently, I noticed the enormous wake behind her. How odd, I thought, modern ships do not leave such a wake? In my eyes, this means a big loss of energy. On a picture of Trollfjord at an earlier date, same place, same speed, I find almost no wake at all.
                          How come? Spitsbergen has a big ducktail, can this be the reason? Or bad waterdynamics? What about the azimuths? Or other constructional details? Has this something to to with the fact that she - as Atlantida - never obtained the intended speed of 19 knots? Only 17,5. But Hurtigrutens service speed is 14-15 knots, and still there is such a big wake. Has any of the CVF members any good explanation?

Big wake behind Spitsbergen:

Trollfjord, same place, nearly no wake:

For comparision, Nordlys (1994) with conventional propellers do not leave behind so much energy as the modern Spitsbergen:

Regards; Sigve.
                          ---

Comment

Interesting study. But i am no ecpert on this topic, we have to ask our professionals.
                            Thank you for the ship pictures, it is very interesting to study the lines and the design after the conversion.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Duck tail sponsons have several effects:
                              - Increased stability because of added water plan area.
                              - Increased speed because of better length/beam factor and center of buoyancy moved further astern.
                              - Reduced squat at high speed due to additional buoyancy at stern.
                              - Improved wake. (Dependent on shape of duck tail below water)
                              Disadvantage:
                              - Increased slamming from larger flat surface at stern. (In bad weather)

The shape of the Duck tail below waterline affects the above.
                              Some are "duckted" on the underside to reduce slamming, improve water flow, decrease resistance and changing the wake pattern.
                              Others are rounded towards the stern for better "slip" at the stern, thus less resistance.
                              Some only get in contact with the surface when needed to reduce squat, or for added stability in rough weather.

Here is an explanation from Watsila Shipdesign:
                              A ducktail is basically a lengthening of the aft ship. It is usually 3-6 meter long. The basic idea is to lengthen the effective waterline and make the wetted transom smaller. This has a positive effect on the resistance of the ship. In some cases the best results are achieved when a ducktail is used together with an interceptor.
                              4-10% lower propulsion power demand. Corresponding improvement of 3-7% in total energy consumption for a typical ferry.
                              For the Viking Star the explanation is like this:
                              Viking Star’s pronounced “duck tail” also helps improve fuel efficiency by extending the length of the ship and limiting her wake.
                              The odd "duck tail" ledge affixed to the stern also helps Viking Star in ways that guests may not fully appreciate. By creating a surface plane for the water that is disrupted by the spinning propellers, the duck tail acts as a damper for the ship's wake. This again reduces wake turbulence, minimizes the wake size (important in congested harbours), and results in increased fuel savings. If you stand on a normal cruise ship, you can watch the wake "slam back" into the stern of the ship at times. With this duck tail acting as a buffer, the screws don't have to deal with water that is, in effect, bouncing back.
                              I must admit I don't know why the Spitsbergen creates a lot of foam behind her, which appears to have negative effect on power efficiency. She appears to have a large Duck tail area relative to length though. No idea what the form of it is below surface.

Comment

• ombugge
                                ombugge commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Here is why small wake is important when in port: https://gcaptain.com/video-new-view-...talian-marina/

• Tommi
                                Tommi commented
                                Editing a comment
                                There could be some reasons for this amount of wake being created by Spitsbergen:
                                - The designed service speed is not the same as the operating speed. We can observe this on baltic ferries since they often vibrate in some particular speed
                                - The hull might be optimised for something else than low wake, but still be ok energywise

All ship designs are compromises, so it's just a question which part they have prioritized.
                                I also wonder, is that really a real duck tail? I got the impression that it is actually the original length of the hull, and that they shortened the superstructure above water when the car ramp was removed?

It's a real ducktail, all right. (Photo from Fosen).

Regards; Sigve.
                              ---

Comment

• Tommi
                                Tommi commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Those pods are very close to the aft!

• Ralf__
                                Ralf__ commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Is that because she was designed as a ferry???
                                Has this advantages in ports while manoeuvering?
                            Working...
                            X