Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As from the RUMORS I've picked up on, she is due to set sail on May 7th.... I think it was written in local paper FOSNA-FOLKET recently.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Latest from Fosna-Folket to-day - 25 April - covering return to service of Nordkapp, Spitsbergen should be completed in late May.

When Nordkapp was out of dock and alongside the kai, on her webcam there still seemed to be quite a lot of steel work required at the stern of Spitsbergen.

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

Hello !

I have been following the advent of the MS Spitzbergen eagerly as I plan to book for the Aug 20 2017 trip for "North Atlantic Island Hopping"
        Hurtigruten web pages has the following offering:

https://www.hurtigruten.com/travel-s.../#.V0xRcrO4M9-

Does any one here know any more details ?

Comment

Originally posted by micctoh View Post
          Does any one here know any more details ?
          Hi micctoh! I seem to be rather out of touch with a lot of Hurtigruten stuff recently, but I did see some reference to a Norwegian newspaper article in the last few days that mentioned plans for Spitzbergen's christening in early July - and that it would most likely be in Svolvær in the Lofoten islands!

However I wasn't quite sure if your "Does any one here know any more details?" referred to the progress of the ship right now, or whether you were searching for more details of the places in the itinerary of "North Atlantic Island Hopping" to help in choosing a cruise for 2017.
          I had a look at your link to that cruise, and there is a lot in various threads in CVF about the places on that itinerary.
          As you will have seen, the Hurtigruten excursions that are optional can be quite a large additional expense on top of the cruise itself. That's where extra info can be really helpful in deciding what is best to do on an excursion and what can be done on your own.

For now I'll just give you pointers to a cruise I took (on Hurtigruten's Fram) to west Greenland, because it is rather hidden away in a pre-existing thread that doesn't have Greenland in the title!
          I haven't been to any of the places south of Kangerlussuaq on your Island Hopping itinerary though.

By the way - I have a habit of often typing stuff and pasting it into CVF later, and also tend to write the way I think and talk which results in lots of apostrophies, hyphens and suchlike! When some years ago we had to transfer the contents of the forum to different bulletin board software, many of these characters were lost in the process, making some of my earlier posts such as some of these Greenland ones rather difficult to read in places!
          So apologies in advance if I seem even more inarticulate than I usually am!

Sisimiut
          Posts #3 to 16 starting here:-
          http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...8555#post28555

Qeqertarsuaq
          Continues directly after Sisimuit on my trip - posts #17 to #41

Ilulissat
          (I was here on the way back south after going to the far north of Greenland)
          Posts #281 - #383 starting here:-
          http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...1992#post81992
          You may want to see all the Ilulissat section, but perhaps of particular interest are photos and description of a walk to see the ice fjord from the land, posts #294 – #309, and a boat excursion in the ice fjord, #364 - #374

I also have a separate thread called Greenlanders about the local people:
          http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...nders#post1132

Micctoh, I’m sure you’ll find info in CVF about the other destinations featuring on the cruise aboard Spitzbergen, but do ask if you need any more help.

Comment

Things are looking up for Spitsbergen
            She is afloat, complete with reconfigured bow, new stern with duck tail and in full Hurtigruten paint scheme.
            From the outside the main outstanding item seems to be fit the lifeboats.
            All looking good to go.

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

Hi Seagull ( Sorry I could not address you by your real name - I did not find it)

Many thanks for your post about Greenland's ports in the main, but also your trip there with relevent and valuable info on the Hurtigruten's Optional Excursions.
              Indeed, there are many options, and I have a fair idea what I would be opting for, esp the boat trips to the icefjords of Ilulissat and Sisimiut and the tannery at Qaqortoq etc.
              provided, of course, that there's the ACTUAL sailing on 20 Aug 2017. The more I look at Hurtigruten's website, and comparing it with info from Bergens Tideende and searching for Spitsbergen on marinetraffic.com, the more un-nerving it gets -- there's a projected Sailing but looks like vapourware for now. No ship by its name of ms Spitsbergen could be located.. And so, Nordskott's
              news that MS Spitsbergen is indeed afloat, and in Hurtigruten's livery, awaiting christening, (as you said) is heartening. I will now await official communication from the UK sales office of Hurtigruten, of a booking attempt.

What happened to the "parallel sailing" of MS Spitsbergen with MS Lofoten ? I suppose that was also projected voyages planned in late 2015, but nerver materialised in 2016, owing to
              the ongoing works on the ex-Atlantida. I guess Norway's not just Hurtigruten , as my fascination of that country grows.

Best wishes for now.

and after looking through the Greenland pics in "This is the Arctic" thread, on closer inspection of the marked-photos, I realised that the photographer of those splendid pictures was none other than Seagull herself.
              " A little bird (not a gull!) told me to look closely at the pictures, at the "post-marks". I'm usually not gullible, listening to birds, but decided to check those pictures again, this time looking at the "signature" rather than the subject matter. " Thank you Lady C , for all the pics on Greenland ( and to PanjiS as well).
              I am more determined than ever to make the trip on Spitsbergen ( or Fram ) next summer. I showed the pictures to my spouse and gained a newly-interested companion for the trip rather than a "weather-worried" one.
              Last edited by micctoh; June 1st, 2016, 15:55.

Comment

Seagull has been my nickname since my seaside childhood in the north of England (though I now live in Scotland!) - Cecilia can be tricky to spell! ...and here on CVF our Captain pakarang loves to call me Lady C. I answer to them all, but I've never been photogenic, so the wooden seagull avatar, often featuring on birthday cards in “Happy Birthday to Members” (Crew Manifest section), seems to have become something of a tradition here!

Oh I can understand your hesitant uncertainty about whether cruises as advertised in the increasingly voluminous Hurtigruten brochures might actually materialise. But as to that parallel sailing, it probably didn't happen only because of Spitsbergen delays. Lofoten on the regular service route has cancelled sailings, and huge work in the engine department brought forward - an amazing investment in an old ship actually, and one which to some extent restores my ongoing interest in today’s Hurtigruten which has been sorely tried by the interior 'makeovers' to some of the ships of the '90's generation, Nordkapp in particular. (I don't want to talk more about that until I have seen for myself - perhaps this summer if complicated domestic circumstances allow.)

All agog to hear if you get a confirmed booking. I used to be able to say that I'd travelled on all the Hurtigruten fleet - until now! Seems that you might become our Spitsbergen expert!

Edit - while I was struggling with my usual pasting and punctuation and typos, up popped your added paragraph micctoh...really touched by what you wrote, and I'm so delighted that you - and even more so your "better half"! - were inspired by my photos.

Comment

According to newspaper Lofotposten, MS Spitsbergen will take up the Bergen - Bergen round trip June 21 - 2 July.

In the course of the second trip 2 July - 13 July she will put into Svolvaer on the 6th of July and in company with MS Richard With and MS Midnatsol there will be the naming ceremony.

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

Hello Spitsbergen watchers !

Just to report back on a booking attempt for a ms Spitsbergen "exploration" voyage for 20 Aug 2017.
                    I have received from Hurtigruten ( UK or Estonia) an Invoice and a ATOL Certificate for the"North Atlantic Island Hopping" sailing 20 August 2017 on MS Spitsbergen.
                    So, looks like the MS Spitsbergen will be coming on stream.

Looking forward to news about her from now on, esp in this forum ! Happy Birthday to MS Spitsbergen soon ?

Comment

• Sigve
                      Sigve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let's hope her rebuliding will be completed until then.....

Pleased for you micctoh. Now here on CVF we will have an even more personal interest in the new ship. :-)

(PS - oh, and talking about birthdays, hope you had a great day recently ...…and found our Happy Birthday thread in the Crew Manifest section! )

Comment

June 15 2016: MS Spitsbergen on her sea trials. Found this picture on Facebook today. I think she looks good, however very special...

Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe I am wrong but she looks to me like any other Hurtigruten ship of that size. To me explorer ships are smaller and compact - such as the Ex Akademic Shuleyakin - the Polar Pioneer - which does the Arctic and Antarctica. Somewhat smaller than Lofoten and beautifully built for tough slogging in rough seas. However, just my preference (or bias?) showing.

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes I believe this is part of the Evacuation System. I have seen similar arrangement on other ferries and vessels.
                        Probably a Brude system of some description: http://www.survitec.no/default.asp?menu=1025&id=

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes the cables are for the evacuation system. The Hurtigruten text seems to be photoshopped.
                        Otherwise she reminds a bit of Vesterålen in a modern appareal.

In my opinion, judging by the photos, the ducktail on "Spitsbergen" looks somewhat better and more "natural" than ducktails usually do.

Comment

Interesting points in recent posts and comments.
                        Regarding the cables/evacuation system - seems similar to what I got a chance to get a closer look at on Fram:
                        See Fram thread post #813, and continuing in post #816 seen from on board:-
                        http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...711#post192711

I see what you mean Tommi about Spitsbergen reminding you of Vesterålen. Of course there is the further link of the conversion of mid-generation ship Lyngen into National Geographic Explorer.
                        NGE also has what I've considered to be an acceptably pleasing ducktail, so that's similar to Gestumblindi's observation also. So many interesting connections!

Comment

At www.facebook.com/Fosenyard/photos there is a sequence showing the test of the escape system on MS Spitsbergen on 30 May.
                          They start with the deployment of the escape chute, the connection with the 'master' raft and then the meeting with the secondary raft.
                          The use of the restraining lines is clearly shown.

On AIS 'Norway Explorer' has been deleted and now reads 'Spitsbergen'.

Regards

Nordskott

Comment

• micctoh
                            micctoh commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Nordskott,
                            Thankyou very much for the steady flow of info on the new ship.
                            Can I ask if the Fosenyard put pictures on the internet, other than on Facebook - for people not on FB. ?
                            Meanwhile, looking forward to your continued interest in MS Spitsbergen, as we all get a peek at the info !
                            Regards,
                            mike.

JUne 19 2016: Found this on Facebook today. Am intrigued by the fore deck arrangement.

Regards; Sigve.
                          ---
                          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• micctoh
                            micctoh commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, Sigve
                            Definitely interesting things up-front. Is that a retractable hatch, top of Deck 5, with a semicircular walkway around it at Deck 6 level ?
                            So the area beyond the two Explorer Lounge ( of Decks 5 & 6 ) are al-fresco ! The Panorama windows on 6 is probably recessed backwards like in Fram, so the view is presumably good on Spitsbergen as well.
                            Is there a 'hold' (on deck 5) in this new 'bucket' ( apologies to Belafonte )

• Sigve
                            Sigve commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would have believed that the fore deck was an observation deck like Fram and Finnmarken. But it looks like an open room, with a narrow walkway. It looks a bit odd to me. There is no cargo hold on this ship, but there is a large "expedition landing space" on deck 3.

• Sigve
                            Sigve commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And today, Monday June 20, at 1700 hrs Spitsbergen left Rissa and is underway to Bergen to take up her schedule.
                        Working...
                        X