Clear All

• Seagull
    started a topic ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

This is a continuation of the thread from the old forum:
    http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=368

• pakarang
    replied
    So wonderful those mornings up on the bow of the ship - I can clearly remember those as the most inspiring times of any cruise. From my own time sailing around the world, arrivals and the hours prior to arrival was always the best time of the day.

Before I got to the position of Safety Officer, as a Navigation- and/or First Officer, the 4-8 watch was the watch nobody wanted but I always loved. By far, that was the bridge watch I have stood the most in my career. Great memories.

Ah, the food on board appears to be so delicious! Food is an integral part of any cruise and I don't think that is a let-down on board the Serenissima!

So thrilled to see the venerable veteran is still going strong around the Mediterranean.!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    The quay and streets were drenched from the earlier downpours of rain I had, surprisingly, only encountered from a dry distance out on deck.

Only now is it time for breakfast! So I'll save the rest of the day for the next installment.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I catch up with D (who did see a whirlpool) and point out landmarks and buildings as the ship approaches the harbour at Messina, passing the old fort San Salvatore with the column and golden statue of the Madonna of the Letter, patron saint of the city.

Nearly there, in the city centre. This is actually a place where such a privilege isn't entirely restricted to ships as small as ours, but for now it is just us.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

I love this wider view from the bridge wing a couple of minutes earler which caught the drama of yet more fast moving clouds and rain.

Now Serenissima is in the strait, and I'm now on the foredeck platform looking back at clearer skies, and even managing to capture an area of fleeting whirlpools on the left.

Having safely navigated such a passage where - as recounted in that blurred blend of classical mythology, literature and history - so many struggled, it seems bizzare but yet delightful that it is only now where the ship slows down for the arrival of a local pilot boat! Arriving by sea at Messina is my kind of thing that I would never tire of repeating
    Never the same twice ...the same but different.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Now there are more ships around, like this Tirrenia cargo ship

They are keeping a careful watch from the bridge.

Eventually we reach Torre Faro, where the lighthouse is much less obvious in my phoro (as I didn't catch the light!) than the tall tower that once carried the overhead power line across the strait. Replaced by a submarine cable, the tower remains as an historical monument.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Day 7 - 6th October 2017 - Messina, Sicily, Italy.

This would be my second voyage through the Strait of Messina, both aboard Serenissima.
    So of course I was up early that morning.

What better than an entirely different early-out-on-deck image to show you - a full moon and moonlight reflected on the ruffled on the water.
    I was thrilled with this image, grabbed from an ever-changing sky as clouds rolled past.

Seen from the bridge wing, the string of lights along the coast come into view. Both coasts actually, as the ship is heading towards the point of land at Torre Faro on the Sicilian side of the strait, and the coast on the left of this photo is the Italian mainland. With wave after wave of low cloud passing over, this is perhaps less obvious than on my last time here. Right on cue D turns up to check where we are, and then goes off to the lounge for early coffee and biscuits or a bun when I say I'll not be going to breakfast before we dock. I tell him exactly where to look out for whirlpools as we turn into the strait, but mention he might not see any, as the sea is so much choppier than it was for me last time.

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    OMG! Orion is my all-time favourite constellation so combined with Serenissima, I'm in heaven with that shot.

• Tommi
    commented on 's reply
    So great to see all the celebrations. And very smart to reserve a table in the middle of the dining room.

• Tommi
    commented on 's reply
    People will miss a lot of fantastic views if they stay in the bunk!

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent! So D is 21 at last. I feel you captured the moment there.

"Grilled Salmon Fillet served with Champagne Risotto, Half Tomato, Asparagus and Herb Butter Sauce" has got my mouth watering. I may need nip over to Waitrose and treat myself to a Gressingham "Duck à l'Orange".

• Seagull
    replied
    D loved all the attention (and the not-having-to-do-anything-himself such as blowing out candles or cutting up the cake!)

Cake is served, and of course Birthday Boy gets the strawberries!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    And then the lights dimmed, the music played, the sparkler sparkled...

I waited for the lights to go back on before taking a photo during a further enthusiastic rendering of birthday songs! You can now appreciate the strategic table position, as folk in every direction look to see whose birthday it is!

Assistant Cruise Director Wendy and Tour Manager Reba from Noble Caledonia congratulate Birthday Boy.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

The meal choices seemed particularly good that evening. Here is an absolutely delicious starter:-
    "Crispy Filo-Cup filled with Creamy Mushroom Ragout and Wilted Spinach".

"
    Anticipating dessert AND cake later, I skipped the soup course (I'd otherwise have had the "Red Beans Soup with Bacon Bits" ; D can't digest those kind of beans.)
    So we both continued the meal with the same choice of main:-
    "Grilled Salmon Fillet served with Champagne Risotto, Half Tomato, Asparagus and Herb Butter Sauce"

The Baklava was the unmissable dessert choice! So mouth-wateringly yummy!
    Last edited by Seagull; April 13th, 2018, 21:21. Reason: oops ...couldn't spell Baklava!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Birthday celebrations at dinner always happen on Serenissima! ...they've seen the all-important date on your passport!
    In anticipation of what would happen towards the end of the dinner service, I had reserved a centrally located table for six and ordered a bottle of sparkling wine as an aperatif for the lucky table-mates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X