Clear All

• Seagull
    started a topic ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

This is a continuation of the thread from the old forum:
    http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=368

• pakarang
    replied
    Thank you so much for the report so far - such an amazing voyage with such an amazing ship, no doubt.

I'm eagerly studying the images taken on board and off the ship, naturally. But seeing all the exciting places that "normal" cruise ships doesn't go to, it's really clear that Serenissima is filling in on a market that is unexplored. Great to have ships like this around, that does cruises like no other.

I can clearly understand why this particular cruise was so interesting for you, Lady C.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    There was a high level of excitement and activity on board. The crew were about to get a "run ashore" in Swansea and the whole boat was being spruced up for a visit by civic dignitaries. By the time we reached Swansea, both watches were awake & active so the boat was absolutely throbbing with people. Normally, one watch is turned in except for short periods at change of watch.

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    ...to which I reply "Great comment as always, Clipper." What an amazing experience!

• Seagull
    commented on 's reply
    Haha Ralf ...actually our people saving their legs for the garden walk and so using the transport had already managed to get in and out of a Zodiac a few times on this trip, and one of out own guides was there to lend a hand. But indeed a different situation with groups of tourists who arrive from the main island on a day trip by a more substantial local boat with own gangway!

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    The three gongs!! Free translation from the Norwegian text; "I have been there (during such meetings) three times"
    PS> At least "seier Lande" didn't become; "victory Lande", which I have seen several times before. (Seier in Nynorsk = says, victory in Bokmaal)
    (Maybe they use AI or self-learning to improve GT?)
    Last edited by ombugge; June 14th, 2019, 14:29.

• Clipper
    replied
    Great report as always, Cecilia.

Reminds me of the time I made a surface transit of the Scillies gap in a submarine!! Not the safest stretch of water on the planet. I've never before or since seen so much concentration at the plotting table. Own position was checked and rechecked constantly using every possible data source and every possible means of calculation. The Captain wouldn't have attempted it if (a) it wasn't flat calm, (b) he didn't have full confidence in his crew (more specifically one particular senior rate and one abnormally capable junior rate) and the state of the navigation equipment.
    Last edited by Clipper; June 15th, 2019, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• Clipper
    commented on 's reply
    I'm none the wiser about the three gongs!!

• Ralf__
    replied
    Great new posts by both of you! Ombugge, thank you for catching the meeting of the two ladies and giving us some background information. And Cecilia thank you for the report and the nice pictures. I was smiling about the small Piaggio lorry (in fact a Suzuku Super Carry conversion), who is ready for transporting the disabled people. Should be a challenge to hop on/off it! Oh, and #1467/3 is a favourite to me... gives me a "to be at home"-feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

After lunch, we indulge in a relaxing afternoon at sea in glorious weather. And later there was an excellent lecture on the geology of the British Isles, which put into context the rocks and landscapes we had seen and those we would see in the days to come.

On the horizon, in between the people standing, I can just discern a few pixels which might not be so obvious after the transitions through Flickr and Forum. It is Bishop Rock Lighthouse, so I'll end with a zoomed in photo from a little earlier, as Serenissima said goodbye to England and headed off towards the south west coast of Ireland.

Last edited by Seagull; June 13th, 2019, 09:09.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

It happened to be the weekend of a unique rowing event - the World Pilot Gig Championships!
    Gigs were originally a kind of combination of shore-based lifeboats and the pilot boats of their day.
    https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/e...-championships

As the gigs were re-positioning between races at the time I had arrived back to the pier, there were fantastic photo opportunities to witness the spectacle with Serenissima in the background, as well as getting close up amongst them!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Another Zodiac arriving at the pier on Tresco island, where Colin is overseeing operations. He will direct us to where another member of the team is waiting by the tubs for the lifejackets.

It is then a pleasant walk to the entrance to the Abbey Gardens, although as you see here there is transport shuttling back and forth for those who need it.

At the gardens entrance local guides had been arranged to take us in small groups on a guided tour. Although it was my second visit to the gardens I decided to do this, especially because it was the Head Gardener himself who was about to set off when I arrived. Marvellous, so much so that I had better save my photos and not get horticulturally distracted in this thread!

So let's move on to the return zodiac trip to the ship, which also turned out to be serendipitous timing - though this one was a maritime distraction!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

This is our Cruise Director/ Expedition Leader, Colin, speaking into the microphone at the reception desk as he makes the customary breakfast time announcements.

Weather and timings for the day will also appear on that screen, and complimentary bottles of water have just been put out on the table ready to pick up as we leave the ship, having swapped room key for ship card at the reception desk.

A crew member is in charge at the bottom of the steps, but the Zodiac drivers are all members of the expedition team who are qualified for this role in addition to their particular subject speciality.

On our way.

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Then I return to the forward observation deck to watch the anchoring activity before breakfast

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Islands on the Edge - Day 3 - 45h May 2019 - Tresco, Isles of Scilly

I was looking forward to returning to Tresco which I had previously visited onboard Fram, and the sun was shining and welcoming out on deck that morning.

I'm on Deck 6 enjoying the sunshine and looking out for the pilot boat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X