No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It happened to be the weekend of a unique rowing event - the World Pilot Gig Championships!
    Gigs were originally a kind of combination of shore-based lifeboats and the pilot boats of their day.
    https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/e...-championships

As the gigs were re-positioning between races at the time I had arrived back to the pier, there were fantastic photo opportunities to witness the spectacle with Serenissima in the background, as well as getting close up amongst them!

Comment

After lunch, we indulge in a relaxing afternoon at sea in glorious weather. And later there was an excellent lecture on the geology of the British Isles, which put into context the rocks and landscapes we had seen and those we would see in the days to come.

On the horizon, in between the people standing, I can just discern a few pixels which might not be so obvious after the transitions through Flickr and Forum. It is Bishop Rock Lighthouse, so I'll end with a zoomed in photo from a little earlier, as Serenissima said goodbye to England and headed off towards the south west coast of Ireland.

Last edited by Seagull; June 13th, 2019, 09:09.

Comment

Great new posts by both of you! Ombugge, thank you for catching the meeting of the two ladies and giving us some background information. And Cecilia thank you for the report and the nice pictures. I was smiling about the small Piaggio lorry (in fact a Suzuku Super Carry conversion), who is ready for transporting the disabled people. Should be a challenge to hop on/off it! Oh, and #1467/3 is a favourite to me... gives me a "to be at home"-feeling.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha Ralf ...actually our people saving their legs for the garden walk and so using the transport had already managed to get in and out of a Zodiac a few times on this trip, and one of out own guides was there to lend a hand. But indeed a different situation with groups of tourists who arrive from the main island on a day trip by a more substantial local boat with own gangway!

Great report as always, Cecilia.

Reminds me of the time I made a surface transit of the Scillies gap in a submarine!! Not the safest stretch of water on the planet. I've never before or since seen so much concentration at the plotting table. Own position was checked and rechecked constantly using every possible data source and every possible means of calculation. The Captain wouldn't have attempted it if (a) it wasn't flat calm, (b) he didn't have full confidence in his crew (more specifically one particular senior rate and one abnormally capable junior rate) and the state of the navigation equipment.
        Last edited by Clipper; June 15th, 2019, 12:22.
        ---------------------------
        Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
        Deck plan geek.
        The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          ...to which I reply "Great comment as always, Clipper." What an amazing experience!

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          There was a high level of excitement and activity on board. The crew were about to get a "run ashore" in Swansea and the whole boat was being spruced up for a visit by civic dignitaries. By the time we reached Swansea, both watches were awake & active so the boat was absolutely throbbing with people. Normally, one watch is turned in except for short periods at change of watch.

Thank you so much for the report so far - such an amazing voyage with such an amazing ship, no doubt.

I'm eagerly studying the images taken on board and off the ship, naturally. But seeing all the exciting places that "normal" cruise ships doesn't go to, it's really clear that Serenissima is filling in on a market that is unexplored. Great to have ships like this around, that does cruises like no other.

I can clearly understand why this particular cruise was so interesting for you, Lady C.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Sorry to jump in here, but just in case you wanted to see the Serenissima in Trondheim yesterday, there she is:

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          Inaugural call of Norwegian Spirit to Port of Trondheim, and extremely embarrassing, the quay and Yokohoama fenders were not ready at her arrival.

This forced the Spirit and her guests to wait for a little more than one hour before they could dock. That is embarrassing for a professional port! Inaugural call!

Norwegian Spirit and Serenissima:

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0109 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0119 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0132 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0135 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0143 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 MAVIC-Trondheim Havn- DJI_0147 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr
          Source: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...203#post216203

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            Sorry to jump in here, but just in case you wanted to see the Serenissima in Trondheim yesterday, there she is:
            A gull's gotta giggle at such a ridiculous statement pakarang!
            Of course I know that you know that I wanted to see Serenissima in Trondheim!

I didn't think you'd get to see her though, especially when I saw on AIS that she was at Ila, so I'm totally thrilled to see these absolutely amazing images. 'Thank you' is not enough.

PS ...and just to reiterate to you all what I said earlier - that my inevitably slow postings here are at any time interruptible, especially as Serenissima is in Norway quite a bit this year.

Comment

Hi,
              Bergens Tidente writes that the ship is arrested in Bergen: https://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/i/q...rest-i-Bergen-
              Do anyone know more about that?
              with kind regards,
              Joachim

hurtigforum.de / hurtigwiki.de

Comment

• Clipper
                Clipper commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a bit worrying!

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                The cruise, which commenced in Tromsö, was due to end in Copenhagen on June 26th. I don’t have any “insider information” - staff would be different from my recent voyage for the subsequent Scandinavian/Baltic itineraries.

Looking good ...Serenissima has departed Bergen, destination Copenhagen, with eta stated as 2019-06-26 10:00 - so she should make the next cruise!

Comment

Without any speculations in any way, but when a ship is held back in "arrest" by NAMSMANNEN (bailiff?) it would most likely mean there is some bills that haven't been paid: docking, port charges, fuel or stores. When ITF requests an arrest in the ship, it has likely to do with crew salaries.

In this instance, for whatever reason the ship was held back, the matter has been settled and the ship is back in service. And that's really good to hear!

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bergens Tidende reported about the reasons, but behind a paywall. Unfortunately no second source was available.

Serenissima in Trondheim on June 17th this year (additional images):

2019_06_17 EOS5D-Trondheim Havn- IMG_9305 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 EOS5D-Trondheim Havn- IMG_9337 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2019_06_17 EOS5D-Trondheim Havn- IMG_9343 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

More images in another thread here at CaptainsVoyage Forum: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...way-2019/page3

Comment

Islands on the Edge - Day 4 - 6th May 2019 - Bantry Bay, County Cork, Ireland

Despite the unseasonal and variable weather in the south of England, it had been a smooth overnight crossing to Ireland.

It was even calmer in the sheltered waters of Bantry Bay where the ship anchored. Out on Serenissima's deck that early morning the quiet soft calm felt truly serene.

Comment

During breakfast, the zodiacs had been launched and we were soon ready to go ashore.

Comment

Did you notice that I hadn't actually mentioned an island in the day heading? Don’t worry ...our 'Island on the Edge' today will be visited on the morning excursion, but our excursion arrangements, and even the name of the island itself, need explaining!

I think of it as Garnish Island. but it is sometimes spelt Garinish Island. The latter name is derived from the Irish spelling Garinis, without the h, which means 'the near island'.
                      The island was also known in Irish as Oileán an Chulinn which means 'island of the holly'. This is variously anglisised as Ilnacullin or Illaunacullin.

However ...there is also a Garinish Island in County Kerry! So in order to distinguish our island in County Cork from that County Kerry one, the Office of Public Works, who now maintain the gardens on the island, use the name Ilnacullin

Previously it had been possible to anchor in Glengarriff Bay, a part of Bantry Bay, and land zodiacs directly at Garnish Island itself, but now they, understandably, want to support local business. So Serenissima anchored off Bantry and we tendered in our zodiacs to the pier there where local coaches awaited. .

You can see where Serenissima anchored at the bottom of this map. The red line is my actual GPS track of the whole morning! The pleasant twenty minute drive around the bay took us to Glengarriff where a local boat awaited us at the pier to take us to the island. We were given a map and were free to wander and explore individually.There was also a café at the landing place.

Returning to Bantry I decided to have lunch on the ship. The coaches were utilised again in the afternoon to take those wishing to join the conducted tour of Bantry House the very short distance there - thus ensuring we were all together at the pre-arranged time. I also took the bus back after spending longer in the gardens, but one could walk back to the pier. Others chose to spend time in the town of Bantry. So the arrangements for the day allowed for many variations and options and actually worked very well.

Comment

Here are two photos of Serenissima after lunch, taken from a zodiac.

Comment

Working...
                        X