No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It happened to be the weekend of a unique rowing event - the World Pilot Gig Championships!
    Gigs were originally a kind of combination of shore-based lifeboats and the pilot boats of their day.
    https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/e...-championships

As the gigs were re-positioning between races at the time I had arrived back to the pier, there were fantastic photo opportunities to witness the spectacle with Serenissima in the background, as well as getting close up amongst them!

Comment

After lunch, we indulge in a relaxing afternoon at sea in glorious weather. And later there was an excellent lecture on the geology of the British Isles, which put into context the rocks and landscapes we had seen and those we would see in the days to come.

On the horizon, in between the people standing, I can just discern a few pixels which might not be so obvious after the transitions through Flickr and Forum. It is Bishop Rock Lighthouse, so I'll end with a zoomed in photo from a little earlier, as Serenissima said goodbye to England and headed off towards the south west coast of Ireland.

Last edited by Seagull; June 13th, 2019, 09:09.

Comment

Great new posts by both of you! Ombugge, thank you for catching the meeting of the two ladies and giving us some background information. And Cecilia thank you for the report and the nice pictures. I was smiling about the small Piaggio lorry (in fact a Suzuku Super Carry conversion), who is ready for transporting the disabled people. Should be a challenge to hop on/off it! Oh, and #1467/3 is a favourite to me... gives me a "to be at home"-feeling.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha Ralf ...actually our people saving their legs for the garden walk and so using the transport had already managed to get in and out of a Zodiac a few times on this trip, and one of out own guides was there to lend a hand. But indeed a different situation with groups of tourists who arrive from the main island on a day trip by a more substantial local boat with own gangway!

Great report as always, Cecilia.

Reminds me of the time I made a surface transit of the Scillies gap in a submarine!! Not the safest stretch of water on the planet. I've never before or since seen so much concentration at the plotting table. Own position was checked and rechecked constantly using every possible data source and every possible means of calculation. The Captain wouldn't have attempted it if (a) it wasn't flat calm, (b) he didn't have full confidence in his crew (more specifically one particular senior rate and one abnormally capable junior rate) and the state of the navigation equipment.
        Last edited by Clipper; June 15th, 2019, 12:22.
        ---------------------------
        Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
        Deck plan geek.
        The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

• Seagull
          Seagull commented
          Editing a comment
          ...to which I reply "Great comment as always, Clipper." What an amazing experience!

• Clipper
          Clipper commented
          Editing a comment
          There was a high level of excitement and activity on board. The crew were about to get a "run ashore" in Swansea and the whole boat was being spruced up for a visit by civic dignitaries. By the time we reached Swansea, both watches were awake & active so the boat was absolutely throbbing with people. Normally, one watch is turned in except for short periods at change of watch.

Thank you so much for the report so far - such an amazing voyage with such an amazing ship, no doubt.

I'm eagerly studying the images taken on board and off the ship, naturally. But seeing all the exciting places that "normal" cruise ships doesn't go to, it's really clear that Serenissima is filling in on a market that is unexplored. Great to have ships like this around, that does cruises like no other.

I can clearly understand why this particular cruise was so interesting for you, Lady C.

Looking forward to the rest of the report!
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
        X