No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such lovely posts dear friends, and from Polo and pakarang's recent comments and activity on CVF it seems we might be around a while yet. So yes, I ought to share more photos of this voyage (though, as I've mentioned in another thread, Trip Report might be too ambitious a description!) But I'll try to continue as with other recent voyages in this thread, to show you images of and from the ship at the various places she visited. On this cruise "Islands on the Edge" you will see it soon becomes very different in character than those in the Med and Adriatic and even Central America!

Please consider my inevitably slow posting here as interruptible by news or pictures of your own. I say this particularly because during this summer Serenissima visits Norway on several voyages. This won't be the case in 2020 (apart from one day in Kragerø en route to Denmark) as she will be spending more time in Iceland and the Faroe Islands.
    I'll look into updating my earlier post to pakarang, #1450 that listed her Trondheim calls, to also include her expected dates in Tromsø, Àlesund and Bergen.

Comment

A few more photos of Serenissima's arrival in Portsmouth on May 3rd.

Comment

“Islands on the Edge” cruise 3rd - 14th May 2019

This particular version of an explorer cruise itinerary (i.e. think zodiacs and flexible) from the south of England to Scotland, focused on islands off the coasts of England, Ireland and Scotland.
        Here is a map showing the ship's actual track. (I'll have more detailed versions later of those areas where you'll have the need to zoom in a lot!).

Marine Traffic.com

Comment

Day 1 Leaving Portsmouth
          Later on that afternoon the new guests have embarked at the cruise terminal, the ship has left the harbour, and I took this photo of a passing Isle of Wight ferry, St Clare. The adventure has begun!

Comment

Oooohh!! Exiting. And starting with promising pictures. And so many places where we have been to on our trips with caravan and campervan!!

Last edited by Ralf__; June 4th, 2019, 08:47.
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
              Seagull commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed Ralf, I was reminded of your land-based travels and thought about you often during this complementary sea voyage!

Day 2 - 4th May 2019 - Guernsey, Channel Islands

As you will have realised from the previous photo, the weather in the south of England had deteriorated, and at the briefing that evening the Captain had cautioned the sea-sick-prone and those needing a day or two to acquire their 'sea-legs' that the Engligh Channel might be a little choppy. Although it was not at all what I would have described as at all rough, the prevailing weather pattern was somewhat unusual, and the temperature certainly not what a resident of Scotland might have been expecting of the south! As it turned out, it was the only time in the entire voyage that such a caution needed to be made, and it would be direction of wind rather than it's strength that we would need to adapt to on a couple of occasions.

This was the only day where a choice of organised excursion options had to be made in advance so that the numbers were known for the local organisers of transport and guides. - a morning coach sightseeing trip around the island, or a walking tour of St Peter Port. Everyone would then return to the ship for lunch, during which Serenissima would relocate to the island of Herm. There we would spend the afternoon exploring independently or joining members of our own expedition team for a choice of walks.

The zodiac tendering was already taking longer than expected due to the wind, and fitting in with the also affected movements of the local inter-island ferries, but a 'plan B' for the tendering and excursion timings had no sooner been announced than a 'plan C' had to be devised when the Captain was informed that it would be impossible to land on Herm.

In no time at all the wonderful Cruise Directors had rearranged the Guernsey tours for the afternoon and our chefs brought forward the buffet lunch by half an hour. And the forecast for the clouds to clear and some sunshine to accompany the wind during the afternoon was correct. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour around the island and the interesting places we visited. But those ought to be photos for another thread.

Comment

That evening was the Captain's Reception and Welcome Dinner.

I know you enjoy seeing the food on Serenissima, so I have made a compilation of some of the dishes from that evening!

Comment

• Clipper
                Clipper commented
                Editing a comment
                So, the Captain is a secret crooner, seen here doing his favourite Perry Como number Magic Moments, or is it Papa Loves Mambo, hard to tell?
                Last edited by Clipper; June 4th, 2019, 11:28.

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Very clever Clipper, but no, not that kind of singing! ... but a speech singing the praises of his crew and the expedition team who had turned the challenging logistics of the day into such an enjoyable and successful start! To hear singing on Serenissima you'll have to wait for the FAREWELL dinner, after the Baked Alaska has been served, when the Filipinos serenade the guests.( I have a note of the words somewhere so you’ll be able to join in!)

• Clipper
                Clipper commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooh, I'm up for that Cecilia.
                a) I'm anybody's for a Baked Alaska.
                b) I love a good old carry-oak. You should hear my Wild Thing - https://youtu.be/Hce74cEAAaE (the Troggs, not me)
                Last edited by Clipper; June 6th, 2019, 07:48.

MV Serenissima was in Aalesund today, where she met her sister MS Lofoten for a short while. (More on that later):

On board Serenissima was three persons that knew all about this historic even. They are ardent fans of the two ships and have made several trips on both.
              I forgot their names, but some of you here may have met them on one or both ships??:

Comment

Lofoten has been my one and only favourite ship. Have had no contact with Serenissima but I suspect she is elegant too.

Comment

Great photos, Ombugge . I'm so delighted that you not only saw Serenissima in Ålesund, but caught her meeting Lofoten too.
                  And such happy folk on board I don't think I recognise them (although I keep looking at the lady in the middle - perhaps she just reminds me of someone else with that hair colouring). However it is by no means unique nowadays that Serenissima has guests that have also travelled with Hurtigruten, and they also tend to be the type of people who are interested in the heritage of the ships they travel on. I first noticed this when I went to the Azores in 2016.
                  On my recent trip it was also evident to me that Serenissima is attracting more and more repeat guests.

Comment

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The lady in the middle had only been on the Serenissima, while the other couple had made many trips on both ships. They had made their first Hurtigruten trip on Harald Jarl and had booked two trips on Lofoten for next year, before her dismissal from Hurtigruten.
                    PS> All are English.

smp.no had an article about the meeting, but behind a paywall and in Nynorsk. Here is a picture that topped the article:

And a google translation of a comment by Capt. Eidvind Lande on Lofoten:
                  The "Serenissima" arrives at Ålesund with uneven spaces, but the special thing about this time is that the sister sister and the oldest Hurtigruten ship that is rented are on the route, "Lofoten", added to the same quay.

- It is always great to meet old sisters, tell the captain of "Lofoten", Eivind Lande. First of four sisters

"Harald Jarl" was in many ways the prototype of the next Hurtigruten ships that were produced in the 1960s, "Lofoten", "King Olav" and "Northern Norway" from 1964.

"Northern Norway" went to nails in India in 2006, while "King Olav" ended his days in Thailand in 2018. "Lofoten" is a regular route along the coast.

- It's always great to meet old "Harald Jarl". It does not happen often, I have been on the three gongs. We have been on board and talked to the crew and got a guided tour earlier, but we didn't get it any more today, says Lande.

It is three years ago last time he saw "Serenissima", but depicts a luxurious cruise ship that occasionally gets a trip to the old country.

- The ship is converted into an exclusive and delicious cruise ship. Ho has a lot of "Harald Jarl" in them yet, but especially the cabin standard is better. Between them, they have merged some old crew guards into larger guest lodges, says the captain.

Comment

• Seagull
                    Seagull commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for that Ombugge (and for the Google giggle!). It's good to see these ship encounters make it into the local news.

• Clipper
                    Clipper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm none the wiser about the three gongs!!

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The three gongs!! Free translation from the Norwegian text; "I have been there (during such meetings) three times"
                    PS> At least "seier Lande" didn't become; "victory Lande", which I have seen several times before. (Seier in Nynorsk = says, victory in Bokmaal)
                    (Maybe they use AI or self-learning to improve GT?)
                    Last edited by ombugge; June 14th, 2019, 14:29.

Islands on the Edge - Day 3 - 5th May 2019 - Tresco, Isles of Scilly

I was looking forward to returning to Tresco which I had previously visited onboard Fram, and the sun was shining and welcoming out on deck that morning.

I'm on Deck 6 enjoying the sunshine and looking out for the pilot boat.

Last edited by Seagull; July 10th, 2019, 16:04.

Comment

Then I return to the forward observation deck to watch the anchoring activity before breakfast

Comment

This is our Cruise Director/ Expedition Leader, Colin, speaking into the microphone at the reception desk as he makes the customary breakfast time announcements.

Weather and timings for the day will also appear on that screen, and complimentary bottles of water have just been put out on the table ready to pick up as we leave the ship, having swapped room key for ship card at the reception desk.

A crew member is in charge at the bottom of the steps, but the Zodiac drivers are all members of the expedition team who are qualified for this role in addition to their particular subject speciality.

On our way.

Comment

Another Zodiac arriving at the pier on Tresco island, where Colin is overseeing operations. He will direct us to where another member of the team is waiting by the tubs for the lifejackets.

It is then a pleasant walk to the entrance to the Abbey Gardens, although as you see here there is transport shuttling back and forth for those who need it.

At the gardens entrance local guides had been arranged to take us in small groups on a guided tour. Although it was my second visit to the gardens I decided to do this, especially because it was the Head Gardener himself who was about to set off when I arrived. Marvellous, so much so that I had better save my photos and not get horticulturally distracted in this thread!

So let's move on to the return zodiac trip to the ship, which also turned out to be serendipitous timing - though this one was a maritime distraction!

Comment

Working...
                        X