No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bari is the port for the larger cruise ships calling in this region, and convenient for turnaround too as the airport is nearby. A small group of the cruise guests were taking an NC-arranged hotel extension for a few days, which would include an excursion visit to Alberobello which I had visited on my Serenissima cruise in 2015. The rest of us would be bussed to the airport and onto a direct flight to London Gatwick, where I had booked a hotel and convenient flight to Edinburgh next day.

I was amused by an unaccustomed pre-breakfast flurry of activity in the corridors as guests emerged to intercept their luggage that had been ready for collection outside their cabins, and retrieved packed waterproof jackets!

There would for sure be no one taking breakfast on the aft deck today!

Comment

Another heavy downpour had turned these stairs into a cascading waterfall, though it had eased off somewhat by the time I took these photos

Comment

There will be another group of cruise guests arriving that afternoon, and it will be a busy day for the crew getting the ship ready to welcome them. Busier than usual - this crewman had the most challenging job on deck 6 aft, climbing up at numerous places around the deck and pushing up and down on the awning to dislodge the pooled rainwater.

And then the gangway is ready...

Comment

Epilogue:

Perhaps one cannot ever be truly aware of 'a last time' at the point of it happening. Or even at the point of writing about it.
          Never say never!

Anyway, latest news update... look out for "Islands on the Edge" May 2019!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
            Epilogue:

Perhaps one cannot ever be truly aware of 'a last time' at the point of it happening. Or even at the point of writing about it.
            Never say never!

Anyway, latest news update... look out for "Islands on the Edge" May 2019!
            What a wonderful closing to a wonderful trip report!

These images is truly telling the story of the ship as she is now, and I'm so pleased you got to put in some "working" photos too. The navigator in me keeps looking at such images with great interest, speculating at what they are doing, what they have been told and why they do as they do (not that they are doing anything wrong). It's actually satisfyingly interesting to at least me.

I feel a close connection between SS Norway and Serenissima: two extremely different ships, but two ships that have a great meaning to me (together with Kong Olav), ships that will never, ever again be built.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

In a post a week ago, when still catching up on my 1987 cruise, I mentioned that, in contrast to Mediterranean, Serenissima was in the far north and calling at places in Russia like Murmansk and Archangel! That cruise itinerary ended in Tromsø, and with a new group of guests our Harald Jarl is currently heading south along the coast of Norway. Today she paid a brief visit back home in Trondheim!

I felt nearly as excited as when I'd been there to see her arrival on the occasion of her very first return there as Serenissima. Having recently travelled to Trondheim on Spitsbergen, my virtual experience today was almost like being aboard ship! I even woke up this morning when she was at the same point along the fjord that Spitsbergen had been when I'd woken, hurridly dressed, and gone on deck ready for the Flakk/Rørvik ferries!

MarineTraffic

Comment

MarineTraffic

For once Korsfjord was at the Flakk side of the fjord and had just left at the vital moment!
                And I can tell you that our Captain was on duty and took a picture between these AIS captures of mine!

Comment

Then I was watching the Trondheim Harbour webcam and was ready for Serenissima to come into view. What a lovely sight.

Trondheim Havn webcam

Trondheim Havn webcam

It all felt so realistic to me that once I'd seen Serenissima had moored at the Tourist Quay I went off to eat my breakfast (including porridge and some streaky bacon) just as I would have done had I actually been aboard!

Comment

Trondheim Havn webcam

The gangway has been erected...

Trondheim Havn webcam

..and now the first guests are going ashore and taking their bus for the morning excursion.

Although it is only a short visit for the guests, before lunch and a relaxing afternoon at sea, I am sure they will have truly discovered the spirit of Trondheim on their visits to Nidarosdomen, the museum at Ringve, and from the Sverresi viewpoint.
                    Last edited by Seagull; July 20th, 2018, 17:46.

Comment

Serenissima has now arrived in Ålesund.
                      This morning she first sailed to Runde, as I recollect her having done on previous cruises. You are used to my trip reports featuring 'just me' out on deck early in the morning, but I expect this would have been very different. The details I have for this cruise encourage the guests to "Be on deck early this morning as we cruise by the bird cliffs at Runde, one of the largest nesting cliffs in Norway and home to half a million birds. More than 240 different species have been observed here including puffins, gannets, razorbills, and Northern Fulmar."

MarineTraffic

In Ålesund, Serenissima has Berlin and Silver Wind for company.

MarineTraffic

Fellstua webcam www.smp.no

I expect many of Serenissima's cruise guests will see this view for themselves later in the day.
                      Tomorrow they will be in Olden.

Comment

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Here is the webcam picture you are missing: http://alesund.havn.no/images/webcam...es/K27/K27.jpg

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you so much. Complicated busy morning so I was hoping and depending on you coming up with something!
                        That is one amazing viewpoint!. (and reminder that my Norwegian ports bookmarks need a major overhaul!).

What an nerve-wrecking moment it was.

Before we departed for our first trip across at 5 AM, I checked her location, calculated her remaining distance and current speed, and realised that I would DEFINITELY would be on the "wrong" side of the fjord when she passed by. I double checked my calculations every 30 minutes onwards, and everything pointed to me being on the wrong side of the fjord.

Then, incredibly lucky for the first time for any cruiseship this year (on my shift), we actually got to sail up to her, and around her stern.

I got the photos I wanted, and I was ecstatic.

I need to work on them this weekend, but it has been an incredibly hard couple of night-watches the past days, with ambulance-galore, drunk drivers and what not. I haven't slept more than 3-4 hours since last weekend, and are now at the end of my ropes again.

No worries though, I'll live another day!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh pakarang, it was nerve wracking enough just following it all virtually! I was also thinking that Glutra was going to get all the fun as usual, but Serenissima seemed to slow down a bit - not a lot but for long enough to make all the difference, and I was so very delighted for you. Then when I realised your departure time from Flakk was going to take you even closer to Serenissima I was absolutely ecstatic!

So there are more photos but I can wait - sounds like you should be catching up on some sleep after such hectic night watches .

Comment

New updates to Captains bLOG:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/hurtig...-into-the.html

Comment

New update to Captains bLOG:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...ome-again.html

Comment

- and as if that wasn't enough, here is the special treat to all of you my dearest CV family members:

The Serenissima at Port of Trondheim on July 20th 2018:

2018_07_20 EOS 5D Serenissima RAW-IMG_6579 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

2018_07_20 EOS 5D Serenissima RAW-IMG_6596 by Captain Jan-Olav Storli, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X