No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These photos are very evocative and I was reminded of Lofoten's appearance (not as pristine as Serenissima!) with each one. As I won't be returning to Norway, I appreciate the reminder of that appearance!

Comment

A wonderful high quality trip-report. exactly as we expect from one of the best of the best.

Comment

I love the first image of post 1407. She is almost like perfectly placed in that street scene - almost as if the ship was designed to fit into the landscape. Kind of makes me think of old Mediterranean shipping routes, and the ship just making one of her calls. Almost like a southern Hurtigrute service.

Glad to see that the picture is still inlace on board, and kind of "cool" that something from me travels with the ship onwards even though I'm not. Should have made a plaque to go with it, with the name of CaptainsVoyage Forum (free advertisement for us).
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I like that #1407/1 too, pakarang. It was a very grab shot, leaning from my seat into the aisle from a few rows back, somehow avoiding obstructions around the front window of the bus, even not needing to straighten the resulting snap afterwards (although I did need to adjust the colour balance to get rid of the greenish tinge of the window glass). That couple walking in the road couldn’t have been more perfect, and, as you say, the ship seems to belong there in that port. When you think about it there are many views in Norway looking down streets towards hurtigruten quays, so we carry that concept within our subconscious I suppose.

And then,encountered abroad, it becomes a conscious thought. This image reminded me strongly of such a view in Ushuaia, and the feelings it aroused.I'd journeyed to "the town “at the end of the world" and there was a familiar hurtigrute of another generation waiting to take me beyond, to Antarctica! Indeed an amazing and highly emotional feeling, and the ship looking as if it was meant to be there.

As I write this, our Harald Jarl, Serenissima is in Archangel in polar Russia!

I'm trying to complete my Mediterranean trip report this weekend, but then I've more to mention about that framed photo from you that travels the world.

Comment

I agree so whole-heartedly with you: we carry that image of the ship at the end of the street, in our minds, from the days of the traditional ships in coastal service.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Clipper
              Clipper commented
              Editing a comment
              We can also recall the low point when, as Andrea, she was under arrest in Croatia and for quite some time it looked like end of life. The current owners must be thanked and congratulated for their foresight that this fine old ship, complete with her original engines, still had a lot to give. Long live Harald Jarl/Andrea/Serenissima.

• pakarang
              pakarang commented
              Editing a comment
              AMEN! ... to that, Clipper!

The only people at the time which showed an interest in the ship was Indian and Bangladeshi scrap-metal merchants, and the one person who decided to save her. It was a nail-biting time, and I did not think the outcome would be good. Thank heavens that I was wrong and that the ship still sails on to many beautiful destinations all over the MED!

Day 11 - 10th October 2017 - Otranto, Italy.

Early morning mood before sunrise.

The captain is probably looking out for the pilot boat...

Ah, here she comes!

Comment

I am just emerging up the stairs onto the forward deck and take a photo of early preparations for our arrival in Italy. The small port of Otranto can already be seen in the photo. It is located south in Italy's Puglia region {the 'heel' of Italy's boot-shaped outline). It is new to me, but the region isn't - last time Serenissima made a call in Monopoli, further north west along this coastline.

There's just me, looking from the forward observation platform towards the town walls. I think many guests stayed up later last night following the special dinner!

Comment

The ship proceeds into the harbour, and I take what at first seems a fairly typical view of our crew (and an officer among them), with a port guy handling the ropes on the quay. But this is just the beginning! Note carefully how a more modern bit of the quay juts out to this corner, but there is a ledge on the top right of my photo which actually ends the breakwater at a light at the harbour entrance.

I remember thinking there would be more photo opportunities, and photos to share with those of you that especially love to see such snapshots of the working life aboard Serenissima!

I look to see where the Captain up on the bridge wing is focussing his attention.

Comment

Clearly I need to be forward on the observation platform…

...just in time to capture the line throwing action shot!

So now a couple of port guys are walking around to the light…

...and are ready to secure our bow mooring line.

The finished result!

Comment

But while all that was happening, I was multi-tasking! ...scurrying around to watch what else was happening along the quay. Here is a sequence of the gangway being deployed which interleaves time wise with the activity forward.

Comment

The port guys meanwhile can now turn their attention to the arrival with the pilot of another small cruise ship, Artemis, which has to be slotted in next to us in the harbour. Here in this view looking down onto our aft deck 5 (where a few guests have decided to take their breakfast al fresco). You can see where Artemis is moored in relation to Serenissima.

I am taking this view towards the town walls, before more guests decide to take over these tables!

Comment

It wasn't only Otranto that was new to me; the historic city of Lecce, our full day excursion destination, was also.
                        I naturally tend to see geology as the reason for everything, but here in Lecce I'm sure everyone can appreciate how the easy-to-carve local fine-grained limestone resulted in "Barocco Leccese" - the highly decorative embellishment of the Baroque and Rococco style of architecture. There are cherubs absolutely everywhere! And as well as many fine buildings and picturesque streets and alleys, there is, right in the city centre, an excavated Roman amphitheatre!
                        But here in the ship's thread and in the context of the cruise itinerary arranged by Noble Caledonia, I will just show you a couple of photos of the specially arranged lunch.

It was not in a restaurant, but in a private palazzo from the 15th century! It so happened that the group I was with earlier for a guided walk were the first to arrive. Imagine walking along a street, and suddenly stopping - one imagined merely for stragglers to catch up. But no, a door was opened and I stepped into a magnificent courtyard, set out ready for us, and a delightful garden beyond.

The owner himself showed us around his home.

Local wines and specialities were enjoyed, and afterwards some local musicians entertained us before it was time to stroll back to the buses for the drive back to Otranto.

Comment

One could be taken directly to the ship, or be dropped off to spend free time in the town Naturally I chose to explore the town, eager to chose a view looking across the small boat harbour towards Serenissima.

If you look back to #1421/2 you can see the town walls, and now it was possible to enjoy walks and views from up there.

Last edited by Seagull; July 17th, 2018, 09:38. Reason: ...added link to view of the town walls from the ship.

Comment

Later, on this the last night of the cruise, I was blessed with a superb skyscape. Very Italian, very dramatic.
                            Is it perhaps fanciful to see that diagonal twist of cloud as a mooring rope, its loop on the right, about to be loosened from its quay of cloud?

Serenissima too loosens her moorings and heads along the coast, a distance of 110 nautical miles to the much larger port of Bari, as increasingly dramatic dark clouds presage what awaits us next morning!

Comment

Day 12 - 11th October 2017 - Bari, Italy.

The weather seemed to know it was the end of the cruise because it was raining after days of pleasantly warm sunshine! In a slight lull between downpours, I poked my camera out, hoping to avoid leaning on the wet railing too much, failing to keep entirely dry, but managing to capture the pilot in mid-stride.

I stayed undercover to take this image of the ship and nearly deserted quay and I am so very pleased with it.
                              The subtle soft scene and somewhat melancholy mood, an appropriate Goodbye Serenissima image, for it was the first time I had departed that ship without having a 'next-voyage'.

Comment

Working...
                              X