No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The quay and streets were drenched from the earlier downpours of rain I had, surprisingly, only encountered from a dry distance out on deck.

Only now is it time for breakfast! So I'll save the rest of the day for the next installment.

Comment

So wonderful those mornings up on the bow of the ship - I can clearly remember those as the most inspiring times of any cruise. From my own time sailing around the world, arrivals and the hours prior to arrival was always the best time of the day.

Before I got to the position of Safety Officer, as a Navigation- and/or First Officer, the 4-8 watch was the watch nobody wanted but I always loved. By far, that was the bridge watch I have stood the most in my career. Great memories.

Ah, the food on board appears to be so delicious! Food is an integral part of any cruise and I don't think that is a let-down on board the Serenissima!

So thrilled to see the venerable veteran is still going strong around the Mediterranean.!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The weather turned bright and sunny during the morning excursion to Taormina (although not clear enough to see Etna from the Roman Theatre!). D enjoyed the morning, but seemed content to take my option to return to Messina and the ship for lunch.

Comment

I could happily spend several days in Messina myself, but with D tagging along, I wasn't sure what best to suggest for free time that afternoon. The ship was moored very close to the cathedral square, so that was a good start, especially as restoration work had been taking place at the cathedral on my previous visit. Then I saw one of those 'tourist train' things waiting in the square, a perfect excursion for D. It took a pleasant and interesting route around the city streets, just the right amount of informative commentary, and stopped for some time high up at the Temple of Christ the King where there is a terrace with panoramic views. From up there our little Serenissima was hidden with only her mast peeping above nearly buildings, but we could hardly miss seeing she had the company of a bigger cruise ship. I later included AIDAstella on a photo from the quay!

The kind of photo I like to have the opportunity of taking, showing Serenissima, unmistakably in Messina with the fort San Salvatore across the harbour.

Comment

The weather was now so pleasantly warm and settled that preparations were being made on the aft deck for an outdoor barbeque that evening.

Tables were already set out up the stairs in the covered area on deck 6.

Soon it is time to eat! I first had some fish with salad things, before heading for the barbequed meat station serving pork ribs, chicken etc.

In this view looking down from deck 6 it does seem to be very popular, but I expect you have also noticed some desserts to follow!.

Afterwards they also opened the bar on the foredeck.

Comment

Later I went a walk-around, and saw we would soon be leaving...

...so got in a position to watch the departure.

The ship slipped away quietly, and the pilot boar saw us safely out of the harbour.

Comment

I want to end this day in Messina with a photo I took from the ship looking across the harbour to where the fort was illuminated. And leave with a translation of the words at the base of the column:-
                We bless you and your city”.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your photos with us.You deliver beautiful pictures as always.
                  Best wishes from
                  Bengt Domben

Comment

What an amazing evening - either having a wonderful dinner at the flag-deck aft, or having one of those cool Corona's on the foredeck!

Few ship beats the atmosphere and history of this ship! Serenissima forever!
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                    X