No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During this particular cruise, we encountered two rough sea situations where stabilisers would not be so effective. One was during the day, a scheduled "at sea" afternoon between Syracuse in Sicily and the Greek island of Kefalonia, with a strong wind in one direction - typical of parts of the Adriatic and eastern Mediterranean at this time of year. Even a lecture had to be cancelled! No going out on deck, but I did manage to take some photos from the cabin porthole.

The other rough situation was during the first night on the ship, going from Barcelona to Sanary- sur-Mer on the French coast. I was woken when something of D's fell on the floor, and was surprised that the motion of the ship seemed greater than a weather announcement the previous evening might have suggested. For sure the ship was pitching rather a lot, but the waves didn't seem particularly high. Then I realised that, probably without stabilisers, I was experiencing something for the first time in my Serenissima voyages - the particular motion Harald Jarl used to have that Clipper has described as "the old roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy"! Wow, she's remembered how to do it , In a geeky sort of way it was almost a highlight of my voyage!!!!!

Comment

Loved the images and thank you for your investigative report on the stabilisers use on board.

The geeky side of me would have loved to know the length width and weight of the stabilisers and perhaps even more technical aspects. I can't believe I didn't ask so much about them when I was on board. Maybe I did, but my memory is really bad. Being just a 80-meter long ship, with a rather round hull, she is perhaps too small for stabilizers in many conditions?

I'm sure a lot of technical engineers have run a lot of calculations on their size, effectiveness, and responsiveness.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes good excuses to go on another cruise now that I've answered Ralf and Clipper's original queries!

Thank you Cecilia for answering the long-outstanding questions about the stabilisers.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      As for effectiveness - I was quoted "a 20-30% improvement".
      Excellent that someone was prepared to offer some sort of quantification.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      Then I realised that, probably without stabilisers, I was experiencing something for the first time in my Serenissima voyages - the particular motion Harald Jarl used to have that Clipper has described as "the old roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy"! Wow, she's remembered how to do it , In a geeky sort of way it was almost a highlight of my voyage!!!!!
      Ha! So pleased to hear this wonderful news! I spent most of one sleepless night in the Panorama Lounge learning the "roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy" pattern and trying to predict the next move in the cycle. I got pretty good at it though sometimes HJ would roll upright, wait for the next apogee in pitch, then roll back in the same direction instead of the opposite direction. That would break the pattern and it took a short while to re-establish itself. The "shimmy" was an engine/prop/rudder vibration which was manifest only at certain parts of the cycle. It seemed to kick in whenever roll, pitch and yaw were having a little rest.

I love that old ship and would dearly like to get back aboard one day.

Thank you again.
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        I have met quite a few experienced Captains and officers who always referred to these seas as "confused". I still think it is quite appropriate! I have never been on a ship with stabilisers (and I have been on quite a few in the 1950s and 60s) and I suspect it takes a bit of fun out of being on a confused sea!!

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean; "I have never been confused at sea"??
        In that case you are lucky

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Very funny ombugge.....!

A cruise aboard MS Serenissima - "Historic islands & cities of the Mediterranean"
      September 30th - October 11th 2017

This was my second Serenissima cruise in 2017! ...due to reasons explained in my "away a while" thread here (#432) and here (#438)

Similar to my earlier cruise, I shall focus on images of and from the ship day by day.

Day 1 - 30th September 2017 - Barcelona, Spain.

Setting off for Barcelona on the eve of the Catalonia independence referendum had no impact on our travels. I had taken the option of the organised group flights and transfers to and from the ship. (Having 'someone else' responsible for arrangements is always best when travelling with D, aka 'cabin-mate'!) All went smoothly and the group arrived effortlessly at the port to board Serenissima where welcome drinks and refreshments awaited us.

Comment

While some guests then relaxed out on deck, this one just couldn't wait to start setting up and transforming the cabin to his normal home environment!

My normal travel companion and mascot Sea-Troll, smart in a new uniform, left him to it and headed for the bridge where he met Duje, the Chief Officer.

It turned out that not only this Chief Officer but others on the bridge were new to me too. I suppose they must be the 'other shift' than on my previous cruises, but out of phase with the Captain, Etien Bonačić.

Comment

Time for me to show cabin mate how to get around the outside decks and up to the bridge wings (leaving the more complicated route to the fore deck and observation platform for another day!). He also visited the bridge and took the photo below where I can be seen asking Duje about stabilisers! Then it was soon time for the safely briefing, which also had to include operation of the zodiacs as we would be using them to go ashore the following day.

Then it was soon time for the safely briefing, which also had to include operation of the zodiacs as we would be using them to go ashore the following day.

Comment

D had been far too hasty in setting up all his computer, GPS, photo and charging stuff, for there was an announcement that we might encounter adverse conditions during the night en route to France. At least he had seen enough weather data for himself to take my advice to put things away, or at least on the floor, without too much argument.
            In fact this was the night I have already mentioned earlier in this thread (last paragraph of #1321) when I was woken by D's clock and torch being flung from the bedside cabinet in that classic Harald Jarl pitch roll yaw movement!

Now that you have seen a photo of the cabin, I had better go and prepare a plan explaining its location ready for my next post.

Comment

My late booking opportunity had been for the last remaining cabins on this cruise, and I was originally allocated cabin 320. On arrival we found we had been swopped (I think it may have been with a staff member) to 321, across on the starboard side of Deck 3. Apparently 320 is considered noisy from the engine by some guests. As you know I wouldn't be one to complain of effects of proximity to the 'heartbeat of the ship', but travelling with D changes priorities.
              In some cabins, the double bed (or two single beds placed together) can only be fitted into a corner. These are ones they sometimes allocate for single use, as I have experienced myself when all the singles were already taken at time of booking. So I realised with two occupants one might have to climb over the other person, or disturb them in maneuvering to the foot of the bed - especially awkward if needing the toilet during the night.

There were no such problems with the bed arrangements in 321 as you saw in the previous photo. And as well as being perfect for the sharing with cabin mate situation, 321 turned out to be a very interesting layout. Time to study the deck plan!

321 is the aft-most guest cabin on the starboard side corridor of deck 3.
              Beyond there is a corridor door for staff use which is sometimes fastened open, revealing stairs up to deck 4 and outside. This certainly provides increased ventilation down on deck 3, and regulates any tendency to over heating in warm weather. (It also provides a quicker deck-geek route to the aft deck - up the stairs and outside on 4, in again through the nearby double doors to the ship's aft stairs, and up to 5 and out onto the aft deck!)

The space tucked in between those corridor stairs and the curvature of the ship has been made into a really big bathroom for cabin 321! It even has its own porthole (letting in natural light but coated for no through view either way, in case you were wondering! )

This photo seems to be the only one of the bathroom I have taken - photography probably interrupted by D and forgotten about doing later. Although there are cupboards, that's D's enormous toilet bag perched on the edge of the sink. I should have moved it onto the sink top that extends off photo to the left; my photo doesn't even show the main mirror above the sink fittings. Also unseen is the toilet on the right. Its position will be clear from the deck plan - the bit of the L-shaped plan of the bathroom nearest the corridor.

The door to the bathroom on this deck plan isn't shown correctly. It is more in the middle of the dividing wall. Take a look back to the picture of D plugging in his 'charging station'. You can see the bathroom door, and to the left of it there is plenty of space for the wall mounted TV screen. On the right of the bathroom door, behind D's head, is a wardrobe with plenty of hanging space plus shelves. It fits in the corner next to the cabin door with the evacuation notice on it.

I think the sloping wall of the cabin with its recessed porthole adds to its charm. I took the photo in the last post carefully to show how it actually looks - avoiding extreme focal length lenses or distorting camera angles and positions. What I should then have done was to turn round and take the other corner of the sloping wall to show you the standard dressing table/desk unit with oval mirror which in this cabin was cleverly supported behind so that, unlike the wall, it was vertical.

Between the foot of my bed and the dressing table there was a chair, and above it the little wall mounted cabinet with holders for bottles of water and glasses. At the other side of the dressing table there would be ample space to store a case in the corner below the TV screen, though most cases fit under the beds in Serenissima's cabins.I've sometimes used my case that way as an extra drawer, even when occupying a supposedly double cabin. But even with the amount of luggage D takes when travelling, we seemed to have more space and ample storage in cabin 321. And having an accessible second pair of power points in addition to those on the dressing table was the all-important finishing touch!

Comment

So cool to see your memories from your second cruise with the Serenissima.

it thrills me beyond words to see that the venerable old lady still are sailing and operating cruises all across the world. She is indeed a very strong ship that has seen so much of the world, so much more than the coastline of Norway.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I so agree! Most mornings the first thing I do is check where she is (sometimes even BEFORE looking to see if you have posted anything!!!!! ).
                  Today she is in Madagascar.

Day 2 – 1st October 2017 – Sanary-sur Mer, France.

Early morning sunshine out on deck.

It was an 'at sea' morning - the ship was expected to arrive at Sanary-sur-Mer nearer noon - so I was out on deck but unsurprised by the lack of other early risers. Especially so after the movements of the ship overnight which I mentioned in my earlier discussion of the stabilisers (end of #1321).

Comment

In this photo I kept the horizon horizontal, and this also reminds me of how the ship was tending to list to starboard in these wind conditions.

You see it here too in this starboard forward facing view of deck 6

Comment

Time for breakfast!

Comment

A view of the harbour at Sanary-sur-Mer, full of small boats. We will however be at anchor and using the zodiacs to go ashore in the the afternoon.

Comment

D decides to take the last place on this zodiac after instructing me to take a photo of him.

Here is his photo of my zodiac arriving in the harbour.

Comment

Maybe this town will be unfamiliar to some of you, as it was to me when I first saw the name Sanary-sur-Mer on the itinerary. I'd looked it up and found that it is "a popular coastal resort on the Cote d'Azur between Bandol (to the west) and Toulon (to the east). A relatively quiet resort compared to many on the Riviera it is a pleasant place to explore".
                          Such are the delights of cruising on a small ship that you can arrive directly at places like this. I had thought it would be suitable for D to wander around, sit at a café, and take things easy, but he wanted to go on the excursion. So we visited a hilltop village, and also vineyards of the Bandol wine region with a tasting at Domaine de Frégate.

Returning to the harbour, I took a photo of the lighthouse which also shows Serenissima at anchor, but I don't seem to have any of the Captain's Welcome Dinner that evening.

Comment

• yvneac
                            yvneac commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes Sanary is a nice little town. Maybe the hilltop village was Le Castelet or La Cadière d'Azur, both in the wineyards. As for le domaine de la Frégate I like its rosé.

• Seagull
                            Seagull commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes Yves! I thought YOU would know We did indeed visit Le Castelet, and get to taste Frégate's rosé!
                        Working...
                        X