No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During this particular cruise, we encountered two rough sea situations where stabilisers would not be so effective. One was during the day, a scheduled "at sea" afternoon between Syracuse in Sicily and the Greek island of Kefalonia, with a strong wind in one direction - typical of parts of the Adriatic and eastern Mediterranean at this time of year. Even a lecture had to be cancelled! No going out on deck, but I did manage to take some photos from the cabin porthole.

The other rough situation was during the first night on the ship, going from Barcelona to Sanary- sur-Mer on the French coast. I was woken when something of D's fell on the floor, and was surprised that the motion of the ship seemed greater than a weather announcement the previous evening might have suggested. For sure the ship was pitching rather a lot, but the waves didn't seem particularly high. Then I realised that, probably without stabilisers, I was experiencing something for the first time in my Serenissima voyages - the particular motion Harald Jarl used to have that Clipper has described as "the old roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy"! Wow, she's remembered how to do it , In a geeky sort of way it was almost a highlight of my voyage!!!!!

Comment

Loved the images and thank you for your investigative report on the stabilisers use on board.

The geeky side of me would have loved to know the length width and weight of the stabilisers and perhaps even more technical aspects. I can't believe I didn't ask so much about them when I was on board. Maybe I did, but my memory is really bad. Being just a 80-meter long ship, with a rather round hull, she is perhaps too small for stabilizers in many conditions?

I'm sure a lot of technical engineers have run a lot of calculations on their size, effectiveness, and responsiveness.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes good excuses to go on another cruise now that I've answered Ralf and Clipper's original queries!

Thank you Cecilia for answering the long-outstanding questions about the stabilisers.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      As for effectiveness - I was quoted "a 20-30% improvement".
      Excellent that someone was prepared to offer some sort of quantification.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
      Then I realised that, probably without stabilisers, I was experiencing something for the first time in my Serenissima voyages - the particular motion Harald Jarl used to have that Clipper has described as "the old roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy"! Wow, she's remembered how to do it , In a geeky sort of way it was almost a highlight of my voyage!!!!!
      Ha! So pleased to hear this wonderful news! I spent most of one sleepless night in the Panorama Lounge learning the "roll-pitch-roll-yaw-shimmy" pattern and trying to predict the next move in the cycle. I got pretty good at it though sometimes HJ would roll upright, wait for the next apogee in pitch, then roll back in the same direction instead of the opposite direction. That would break the pattern and it took a short while to re-establish itself. The "shimmy" was an engine/prop/rudder vibration which was manifest only at certain parts of the cycle. It seemed to kick in whenever roll, pitch and yaw were having a little rest.

I love that old ship and would dearly like to get back aboard one day.

Thank you again.
      ---------------------------
      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
      Deck plan geek.

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        I have met quite a few experienced Captains and officers who always referred to these seas as "confused". I still think it is quite appropriate! I have never been on a ship with stabilisers (and I have been on quite a few in the 1950s and 60s) and I suspect it takes a bit of fun out of being on a confused sea!!

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean; "I have never been confused at sea"??
        In that case you are lucky

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Very funny ombugge.....!
    Working...
    X