Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on board that evening it was time for the Welcome Dinner...

...and, to conclude this enjoyble day, here are a couple of courses at dinner that I remembered to photograph!

Comment

• Day 5 - 26th January 2017 - Acajutla, El Salvador.

So here I am after our overnight in Acajutla, and the morning light is filtering down at the edge of the quay and making an interesting view from my porthole. No, I am not being sarcastic - I really do find this kind of thing interesting, both the construction of parts of the quay you wouldn't normally see close up, and the angle and timing - sort of sundial effect. Photogenic shadows too.

After breakfast I'm off on the full day excursion which follows the 'Mayan' route, starting with the archaeological site of Joya de Cerén (where, around 600AD, volcanic ash buried a village Pompeii-style) and ending at Tazumal (also pre-Columbian Mayan and the largest pyramid in El Salvador). In between we enjoyed the attractive rural setting of the archaeological park of San Andrés and lunch and walking tour in the city of Santa Ana.

My next ship photo is therefore not until Serenissima's evening departure. But it is not yet goodbye to El Salvador - the ship is merely relocating the 150 nautical miles to the Port of La Union.

Comment

• Maybe this should have gone in the Cruise ships in Norway 2017 thread, but since this one has it's own tread I add it here. Less colourful and exotic than earlier posts though.

MV Serenissima departing from Aalesund 24. June 2017:

I got video, but that will have to wait until posted on Youtube.

Comment

• MV Serenissima at Skansekaia, Aalesund 01. July 2017:

I missed the arrival be a few minutes, so no video.
          While taking these photos I met another onlooker who had been working on board together with his wife sometime in the 1960's.

Comment

• Seagull
            Seagull commented
            Editing a comment
            So nice to see your photos of Serenissima, Ombugge. She arrived rather earlier than Sterkoder had expected, and he was located elsewhere getting views of the other cruise ships of the day when Serenissima and Lofoton said 'Hi' to each other. It would have been quite a CVF moment if you and he had happened to be at Skansekaia at the same time!

• Wonderful Serenissima updates!

It certainly excites me a lot seeing the success of this vessel under her current operator and livery. May she have many more years to serve around the world.

Here is a bLOG entry by me as well, when she dropped by Trondheim last week: http://www.captainsvoyage.com/its-a-...ck-to-her.html

Images for your enjoyment:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• - and here are just two more:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• I'm a bit behind, and you'll find I have already commented on some of your c-gull wing ship images on your blog before seeing them on the forum. But I just HAVE to marvel here also at these views of Serenissima at Ila - and the sun shone for her too!

Comment

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I may have mentioned before that ILA is not a good location for the c-gull, with a lot of magnetic interference and other disturbances.

But knowing that at least you would enjoy these images, I did my very best to obtain the images - you should have seen how cautious and carefull I flew that day. I literally had the haert in my throat throughout the entire flight.

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                I can SO absolutely imagine that "cautious and careful" ...Hugs, and so much thanks.

I'd seen on AIS that the K was in Rĝrvik when Serenissima past by, and knowing the situation at Ila… well, you should have seen my utter amazement when I first saw you had c-gull-wings images.

There's neither words nor a smiley-emoticon thingy for how I felt then, and am feeling again now.

• Day 6 - 27th January 2017 – La Union, El Salvador.

Another memorable early morning out on deck.

Comment

• There were many small boats and local fishermen passing by, an attractive scene in these coastal surroundings and morning sunlight. Like the group of cyclists in pakarang's mages of Serenissima in Trondheim, she attracts admirers wherever she goes.

Then the pilot boat arrived.

Comment

• Arrival at the port of La Union.

This was a welcome that in its way was just as special as the earlier day's show. While we were sleeping soundly in our cabins, our local guides had set off to drive here from Acajutla. My group's guide from the excursion the previous day spots me on deck and greets me with a big smile.

Setting off for a day excursion on which I learn a LOT more about coffee production than I knew before, and visit an emerald green lake in a volcanic crater.
                  Last edited by Seagull; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Returning to the ship after the day's adventures.

Comment

• Great photos - and storytelling - as ever Cecilia. Some of the photos make you expect to see Hercules Poirot strolling around the deck, there's a palpable air of elegance about her.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Photobucket - grrrrrrrrrrr!
                        ---------------------------
                        Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                        Deck plan geek.

Comment

• Clipper
                          Clipper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Cecilia. I hope you didn't have to shell out megabucks to Photobucket.

• Seagull
                          Seagull commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Absolutely not.
                          Continuing to just use up my $35 worth, but in case of further meltdown before I'm up to date in this thread, don't despair! I have your name on my Serenissima Plan B list!

• Clipper
                          Clipper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oooh, Plan B! I'm fascinated.

BTW: your #1240-2 is rather special. That guy's smile lights the place up.
                          Last edited by Clipper; 1 week ago.

• Lovely additions from your Serenissima cruise.... those morning shots from the bow, prior to arrival is so full of wonderful morning mood....

Makes me think of my own morning up front when we sailed in to Venice on the maiden voyage - such a moment you wish never ended.

Comment

• Seagull
                          Seagull commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh yes pakarang! - and there I was clicking between webcams as you arrived in Venice! ...and then your magic moment lasted and went on to inspire my own first Serenissima voyage and arrival in Venice.

That observation platform really is genius. Not only the view forward. I never tire of taking the view looking aft from it also, and in this early morning photo (#1238/1) I particularly like that the lights are on in the Harald Jarl lounge, the guests in Suite 602 are awake, and you can see the lights on the bridge.

• Day 7 - 28th January 2017 – La Union, El Salvador.

Serenissima's second day at the port of La Union starts with a magnificent sunrise.

Our guides have arrived, and I'm taking a full day excursion, first driving past an agricultural landscape with a backdrop of volcanos to reach and visit a notable cacao plantation. In the afternoon in the coastal Jiquillisco Bay area, a Biosphere Reserve, the group boards local boats and and join researchers who monitor an endangered species of sea turtle.

Comment

Working...
                        X