No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another classic favourite photo of the ship.

We were able to get to grips with archaeology and real Mayan pyramids that afternoon, but there was a choice of activities during the morning. While the naturalists, especially the keen birdwatching enthusiasts, headed for an exploration of the mangrove swamps by small boat, I was undoubtedly influenced by my minion, and opted to visit a banana plantation! A great excursion, which also allowed time to get involved with a local community and visit a school. Perhaps some of you might like to see this in a "People of the World" thread sometime.

But here in the ship's thread I'll just end Day 3 by saying that I returned to the ship and my cabin to find Sea-Troll clutching a chocolate, and also an invitation for me to join the Captain's Table at the Welcome Dinner which would take place the following day.

Comment

• Thank you so very much for this new trip report - I'm so glad that we are pledging to go on for at least a year. Without the forum, there is no way I would have been able to see your wonderful trip-memories, especially as I have completely opted out from Facebook for nearly the whole past year already.

The first image really sets the tone for me: with anticipation that I myself feel when I soemtimes are about to start a journey, board a ship - or an aircraft. As I have a tendency to say: THAT moment when you are about to start a new journey! The best feeling in the world.

And the last picture is also such a wonderful shot - the green grass and the atmosphere makes me beg for more!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• There was indeed a special feeling about boarding the ship in Puerto Quetzal - as you say THAT moment, and perhaps the walk over the connecting bridge to the landing stage and waiting ship contributed to that feeling and certainly provided the perfect opportunity to capture the moment in a photo.

She's a special ship, pakarang, and you can be sure that I'd have figured out a way to share these trip-memories with you somehow someway.

Comment

• Day 4 - 25th January 2017 - Acajutla, El Salvador.

During the night Serenissima had headed back 'down' the coast, this time bypassing Guatemala on her way to another country - El Salvador - where she was due to arrive at the port of Acajutla at around 11am.
          But you know me - a morning at sea doesn't mean I am going to have a lazy lie-in! On the contrary, I am up and about even before sunrise.

The view from the bridge wing. Total calm, contemplation and happiness.

I didn't disturb the officer on duty on the bridge, but I did love the mood of this glimpse through the side window. Although you might not make it out at this size, the computer 'wallpaper' shows a familiar ship, and even a Norwegian flag at the bottom.

I made my way to the observation platform. Half past six in the morning ...here comes the sun.

Comment

• Making that magic moment last ...the sun from various viewpoints around the ship’s decks:-

Deck 6

Deck 6

Deck 4

And then I was the first guest for breakfast!.
            Later that morning there was a fascinating lecture "Art and Belief in Central America", and a briefing and information about our days in El Salvador. Then I'll be on deck, ready as we approach the port.
            Perhaps you should take a break and make some coffee - I'll be back later with a LOT of photos!

Comment

• The screensaver image just has to be the meeting with Lofoten off Stad (or was it Hustadvika).... am I right?

The forward walk way on the boat deck - was it closed off during your cruise? I see in recent cabin plans that it's marked as a "private walkway".
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes you are right pakarang, you can see Lofoten. Serenissima is rather hidden under the icons!

That walkway is closed off as it is for the private use of the occupants of owners suites 601 and 602. Not that I have ever seen them using it much, except during the transit of the Corinth Canal as you can see in a previous trip report:-
                http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...214#post204214
                It’s really designated as private because from the inside of those suites having people use the narrow walkway would be obtrusive.

• Beautiful pictures of the sunrise from different deck level on "Serenissima"
              Best wishes from
              Bengt Domben

Comment

• "Serenissima" departed from Tromsø tonight and set course for Svolvær.

Photo from Tromsø havn webcam.

Best wishes from
                Bengt Domben

Comment

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So pleased to see your webcam captures Bengt, as I wasn't able to be in and webcam-watching yesterday. Here you show Serenissima departing at the start of a cruise that will take her from Tromsø to Gothenburg during the next two weeks.

• Day 4 continued

Arriving in Acajutla, El Salvador

I'm on deck 4 as we fit in neatly, starboard alongside, next to tanker SC Aquarius before relocating to deck 6 portside to turn my attention to photographing some tugs and another vessel whose name I never got around to making a note of. For suddenly there was a very loud blast of music from the quay and I dashed around the deck to see what was happening.

El Salvador is really trying hard to emerge from the aftermath of the civil war and develop tourism. This wasn't Serenissima's maiden call here, but we were staying overnight at the port, the first cruise ship to do so, and that was a big deal for them. So our arrival was rather more than a token cruise ship welcome. Considerably more!
                What follows are the delightfully crazy surreal scenes on the quayside - dozens of dancers' colourful swirling skirts, hard-hatted port guys, officials, journalists, press photographers ...and a fork-lift truck dodging around everyone else. Enjoy!

Comment

• Some explanations of what was being portrayed in the lively traditional dances were announced, although I think you can figure out that these lads are showing off their nets and fishing catch to impress the lassies!

They had arrived in the classic school bus which then served as base for costumes and props.

Comment

• Grandstand view!

VIP seating!

Increasingly exuberant dancing!

Comment

• Amid all the excitement some guys still had to work in the second (or was it third) attempt to maneuver, install and secure the rather large gangway.

I seem to be doing my own inspection of our mooring arrangements here...

...and take my favourite quay-level shot of the dancing.

Comment

• While all this was happening a group of journalists had arrived and were rushing around clutching press releases, and on board you can always tell that something extra special is happening when our crew come out to watch.

Comment

• Officials come onboard and meet the Captain, and there will also be the 'normal' procedures and paperwork to be done. Meanwhile up on the bridge the Chief Officer recognises me from previous voyages and wants to introduce me to newer staff.

Comment

• Lots of photographs were taken, and a couple of guests who spoke Spanish fluently were particularly popular with the press. Incredibly a whole hour had passed and in the dining room our waiters were watching the last of the activity on the quay while remaining poised to serve lunch.

IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/c_gull/CVF6/2017-01-25-1721-29_zpsvixap7vd.jpg~original[/IMG]

We all must have swarmed into the dining room simultaneously that lunchtime, everyone on a high buzzing with talk of the unexpected show and anticipating the afternoon excursion.
                            I particularly enjoyed visiting the town of Concepcion de Ataco with its colourful paintings on many of the house walls - and tasting the excellent coffee.

Comment

Working...
                            X