No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exquisite pictures of this beautiful lady with great backgrounds, great food and a nice moment on the bridge which is my favorite.
    Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

Day 5 – 21st April 2016 - Horta, Faial island.

Early morning, deck 4

There were other views of Pico from up at the bridge of Serenissima and from the foredeck observation platform, but, for now, the ship is on her way to the island of Faial.

Comment

Ship and skyscape

Deck 4 aft

Delicate early morning light, and possibly my favourite for this cruise of views looking aft from the observation platform.

Comment

Approaching Horta, Faial island's capital, looking gloriously golden in the morning sun. I decide it's a good time for watching activity on the foredeck.

Up goes the flag

Comment

No hurry for breakfast (the morning excursion doesn't leave until nine). I decide it's a good opportunity for watching activity on the foredeck.

Comment

First stop on the excursion - a panoramic view over Horta. Can you spot Serenissima in the distance? She is quite a way from the promenade, but there will be shuttle buses throughout the afternoon. It will be a somewhat larger cruise ship arriving later at this end I was told. I'm thrilled to discover it is Albatros that is expected.
              I absolutely must get photos of her for Jan-Olav, so in order to have the whole afternoon free I immediately cancelled the optional whale watching trip I'd signed up for. It turned out that they didn't get any whale sightings anyway! Whereas I got lovely photos for Jan-Olav which you can see here.

Zoomed-in photo of Serenissima from that viewpoint...

...and a close up on the return from the morning excursion.

Comment

• pakarang
                pakarang commented
                Editing a comment
                My beautiful "baby" abroad.... I can't deny I have a tiny love-affair with this ship.

View of Serenissima across the Yacht marina

She now has an impressive super yacht mate - Infinity.

Comment

Horta is of course famous in the yachting world. In the foreground of this photo is the harbour wall with its paintings made by yacht crews. I spent some time going to look at those after my walk to photograph Albatros, and also had time to visit the Scrimshaw Museum as well as a drink in Peter's Bar with all its yachting memorabilia.

Comment

A moment of quiet on my return to Serenissima prior to the briefing for the following day, and dinner when the very British guests joined in a loyal toast to Her Majecty Queen Elizabeth on this her 90th birthday.

Comment

Wonderful continuation. I love posts 1172 and 1173 for the moodful pictures. I like these ship sceneries with the view to the surroundings very much. I loved also to join your harbour walk.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Day 6 - 22nd April 2016 - Caias São Roque, Pico island.

There had been several opportunities to see amazing views of Pico during the cruise, but now Serenissima is actually on her way to the island! For those out on deck early, the volcano looks stunning from this angle. The crater at its summit can be seen as can the small peak, a volcanic cone, at the highest point. The eruptions ans lava flows in historical times, most recently in the year 1718, have been from vents on the sides of the volcano rather than from the summit crater.

Comment

Views from the ship at sunrise.

Comment

• pakarang
                          pakarang commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What an amazing moment in time! (insert heart here!)

There was plenty of time for breakfast before the pilot boat guided the ship in to Caias São Roque. It had become rather choppy, and the pilot boat darted about as if unsure whether we would be capable of turning into position alongside at the small, somewhat exposed, quay. Of course our ex-hurtigrute managed the maneuver without problems!

Already the peak of Mount Pico was draped by cloud, although the mountain would be visible at various times during the full day excursion around the island. It was a backdrop to the extraordinary landscape of vine cultivation within countless small plots surrounded by stone walls which gave protection from wind and sea spray. This area actually has World Heritage status. Later, emerging from a Whale Museum after a heavy shower of rain, our surroundings had something of a Norwegian feel, or even Scotland's northern isles. But there were no views of the ship until this photo on our return in the late afternoon.

Comment

I thought I'd round off this day which I'd enjoyed so much with a mouthwatering main course and desert from dinner that evening.

The ship remained alongside through the night, departing at six in the morning, for it is only a short distance to our next island

Comment

Day 7 - 23rd April 2016 - Velas, São Jorge island

The islands of Faial, Pico and São Jorge are sometimes referred to as the triangle, being close together within the central group of the Azores. Serenissima hadn't departed Pico until after six that morning, and arrived at Velas in São Jorge by 07:00.

Once again a delightful full day excursion had been arranged (with included lunch as always when away from the ship), visiting so many varied places of interest around the island. São Jorge on St. George’s Day! Just how special is that!

Comment

Working...
                            X