Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 10 - 16th September 2015 – Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Serenissima arrived in Croatia at Dubrovnik where she docked alongside at the cruise port in Gruz harbour.

Athena was already there, having left Kotor considerably earlier the previous day. (I saw her leave when I was up at the fortress.)

Comment

• As I watched the comings and goings of various small boats I decided I rather liked our location at Gruz harbour (rather than anchoring and tendering to the old town), and there would be even more ship interest before breakfast! First Thomson Majesty arrived, mooring beyond Athena which was some way apart from Serenissima.

Then I realised what that gap was - a major car ferry terminal was in between!
      Right on cue, Jadrolinija's Rijeka arrived and it was so much fun watching it disgorge vehicles and passengers.

Our gangway being deployed

Comment

• Our excursion transport took us to the Pile Gate of the old town for a walking tour with a marvellous local guide. This concluded with a section of the town walls. As in Kotor I was very well prepared for that experience by Jan-Olav’s enthusiastic acoount and enthralling images, so there are no prizes for guessing that I spent the rest of the day‘s free time in a leisurely continuation of the entire circuit of the city walls!

When I returned to the ship, many people were relaxing on the fore deck.

Then the ship departed at 18:00 for our next Croatian destination.

Comment

• Since we had a sailing trip in Croatia back in 2011 ( http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...cht-in-croatia ), for me it is also a very emotional report, especially as aslo being able to combine both, travel experience on Lofoten and sainling experience in Croatian waters.
          So i know very well, how wonderful this day and eveningy in Kotor must have been - almost perfect, close to paradise!
          Thank you so much for posting these wonderful pictures, your link to J-O's pictures show that that was his phase of editing and photoshopping each picture extremely.
          It is good to see some pictures of the place in "real" colors.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
            Seagull commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I was thinking of you as well as Jan-Olav on this trip - in your case especially when seeing small sailing boats around.
            I was reminded of J-O's photo style when I was in the touristy areas of Dubrovnik where many stalls had prints and paintings for sale. They looked SO like J-O's photos!

• pakarang
            pakarang commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry about the editing - I guess.

• Seagull
            Seagull commented
            Editing a comment
            Pakarang! - I know it's not to Ralf's taste, but I DO enjoy your renderings of the architecture of the Adriatic towns. Clearly the local artists see their surroundings in a similar way, and my earlier comment was actually intended as a compliment - I was imagining your photography on a stall there and sales doing really well! .
            Last edited by Seagull; April 3rd, 2017, 12:44.

• Day 11 - 17th September 2015 –Šibenik, Croatia.

My view from the observation platform as the ship apptoaches St Anthony's Channel between the open sea and the Bay of Šibenik, and I'm about to enjoy views of a lighthouse and the impressive sea-fort of St. Nicholas.

The other ship at the centrally located cruise dock was Le Lyrial.

In the opposite direction you can see the ferry Losinjanka.
          Last edited by Seagull; April 1st, 2017, 22:09.

Comment

• Although I'm sure I would have liked wandering around the town, Serenissima was only here for half a day, and I wanted to make the most of the excursion opportunity to visit the Krka National Park, with its waterfalls and interesting geology. Returning from what proved to be a most pleasant trip, I realised I could walk round the quay and take a photo of the ship with one of the fortresses in the background - fortresses seem to have been a recurring feature of the cruise.

That 'pakarang' favourite view that I can't resist!

Comment

• Serenissima set sail at 14:30 for the journey of just over 200 nautical miles to Venice.

Comment

• During the afternoon it was possible to visit the engine room, and, although there are many photos in this thread from my previous cruise, a couple more seems a fitting way to end this final day aboard.
                Then I have to pack, our lecturer is going to enthrall us with his adventures from his time as a journalist in the Balkans, and there is the farewell dinner.

Comment

• Day 12 - 18th September 2015 – Venice, Italy.

I think I was the only guest out on deck when the pilot boat arrived. It was still dark, and rather mysterious with banks of fog that appeared suddenly, only to disappear just as rapidly.

Then there was the light at the end of the mole at the entrance to the lagoon, and it was clear and bright enough to attempt a photo. Yes I know I said I would only post pictures that included something of the ship itself, but this has to be the exception, for Serenissima was approaching La Serenissima - as the Venetian Republic was tradititionally called. It seemed so special an arrival, and I remembered how I stood watching for her on that other approach along the fjord when she first returned home to Trondheim.

Then the light at the end of the mole at the entrance to the lagoon emerged, and it had become clear and bright enough to attempt a photo. Yes I know I said I would only post pictures that included something of the ship itself, but this has to be the exception, for Serenissima was approaching La Serenissima - as the Venetian Republic was tradititionally called. It seemed so special an arrival, and I remembered how I stood watching for her on that other special approach along the fjord when she first returned home to Trondheim.

And so the remaining images from this voyage speak eloquently for themselves.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Wonderful. The size of MS Serenissima is fitting perfect to the silhouette of Venice. Such a difference to the huge modern liners, which seem to crush the old town. So #1135/2 is my favourite of this installment - especially the light in the cabin under the bridge is special. The warm lights are so essential for the cozy atmosphere on these ships.
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• BRAVO, Seagull, BRAVO!

As you know, Serenissima will always have a very special place in my heart even though I will probably never be sailing on her again. The memories from her maiden voyage are still very fresh in my mind and I would have loved doing it again, and again.... I'm so glad that I continue sailing on her through you, and your fantastic images!

1109-1 is my absolutely favorite image as it encompasses a truly wonderful and warm moment.... imagine sitting on deck to a view like that, whilst sipping your first coffee of the day!

So glad to also see Captain Padjen again in your photos - such a gentlemen and such a warm and friendly Captain. If I could only be 10% of the Captain he is, I would be very proud of myself.

Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart for your time and efforts in creating this wonderful trip report.... it's so nice to see a veteran like this do so well all over the world.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                            Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                            Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• The Athena is such an interesting ship as well.... I saw her myself during my voyage, and through she was a neat little vessel. Would love to have seen what it's like on board.

And, yes, I guess I'm sorry about the editing of my photos.... with the resistance against editing here, I sometimes catch myself in choosing to avoid sharing my images so much as I used to. I share them on my bLOG because so far, nobody has voiced such resistance as I find here, with my photos.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
                                Ralf__ commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If i don't like it, it does not mean, you shouldn't do it!! If you feel you have to do it like that, do it. At least have fun knowing you will provocate me nagging about it! It is just me. Don't care.
                            Working...
                            X