No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here she is out of the locks and heading for the next one.

Best wishes from
    Bengt Domben

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      A good example of how small can be more impressive than huge. Great photo, Bengt.

• HOLY CRAP!

That image from the PANAMA CANAL truly shows the difference in size between these ships.

AND... the HAL-ship (the -Dam ship) isn't one of the "big" ships either!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      And look at those tugs! They seem to be quite fat too.

• Oh, yes, I didn't even pay attention to the tugs.... they are as wide as the Serenissima is long! WAOW!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      Perspective is cheating here. She is not sooo small!

• Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    ....Next time I'll most likely just post ship photos here....
    That quote was from my post (#1057) on completion of the very full (excursions in detail) 'trip report' account of my first cruise aboard Serenissima, Sicily and the Barbary Coast” - October 22 – November 8, 2014. (For your reference, it started here.)
    Since then I have taken a further two cruises on Serenissima in 2015 and 2016, and have just returned from a third, in Central America! My circumstances back home continue to be not at all conducive to writing and illustrating lengthly major forum contributions, but I should at least document these earlier voyages of the ship before getting totally out of time sequence. As envisaged, it will mostly be a few photos showing the ship at or near each port of call to give you a flavour of her adventures around the world.
    A cruise aboard MS Serenissima from Istanbul to Venice - "“Byzantium to La Serenissima"”
    2015 September 7 – 18

Day 1 - 7th September 2015 - Istanbul, Turkey.

There had been some delays at the airport, and the sun was already low in the sky when I embarked at the port. I was so pleased that it was possible to take my first port photo of the ship recognisably in Istanbul with the domes and minarets in the background!

The itinerary had been to visit Lesbos the following day, but the island had become the focus of the refugee crisis with migrants arriving from Turkey hoping to continue to Athens and on to northern Europe. The numbers were overwhelming, and riots had broken out with the police. With staff and ships being brought in by the Greek government and UN refugee agency to deal with the situation, the harbour authorites had no choice but to cancel our post call.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34176773
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34182719

There could hardly be a better illustration of the advantages and flexibility of small ship cruising that at such short notice we were able to set sail to the island of Lemnos instead. Moreover the excellent Noble Caledonia team on board were able to arrange local transport and an excursion visiting interesting places on the island, including a tour of the archaeological site of Poliochni.

Day 2 - 8th September 2015 - Myrina, Lemnos, Greece.

Serenissima approaching the island of Lemnos

Alongside at Myrina port

Day 3 - 9th September 2015 - Kuşadasi, Turkey.

A contrast to the previous port, for Kuşadasi is a popular Turkish resort and gateway for visiting Ephesus which teems with tourists, and there are big cruise ships to be seen in the new cruise terminal. (Well, I just used the present tense, but since my visit and writing this now, terrorist attacks and an attempted military coup in Turkey have undoubtedly brought changes.)

Serenissima, with Seabourn Odyssey and Riviera. Zuiderdam was also in port.

Serenissima and Seabourn Odyssey

Departing Kuşadasi

Comment

• Day 4 - 10th September 2015 – Santorini. Greece.

This port call does require rather more in the way of explanation!
      I was up early that morning, excited as I had not visited Santorini before. Perhaps I was the exception amongst Serenissima's well-travelled guests as it was quiet out on deck. Conversation at dinner that evening seemed to confirm that explanation; at least I could claim that I had sailed into a submerged collapsed volcanic caldera previously - and that in Antarctica at Deception Island!

At first, at a distance, it almost looked like snow scattered at the top of the cliffs before reminding me of accumulations of gulls' guano, only as it it became lighter and the ship closer resolving into the cube-shaped whitewashed houses of towns and villages.

Sunrise at Santorini!

Comment

• The ship anchored, and local boats tendered us ashore where coaches and local guides met us for a tour of the archaeological site of Akrotiri, and, after a pleasant stroll in the nearby village, took us to the main town of Fira (variously spelt Thira or Thera). The town was teeming with tourists, though I had only spotted one large cruise ship, Costa Deliziosa. Our time was free for the rest of the day, and we were given a ticket for the cable car down to the old port of Skala from where a local boat tender would return us to Serenissima. Some guests were returning to the ship for lunch, while many chose to eat at restaurants ashore. That was also my intention, but, not seeing anywhere that immediately took my fancy in all the hustle and bustle, I strolled along in the direction of the cable car, and decided to take it down to the old port.

I actually managed to snap a photo of Serenissima on the descent in the cable car!

Serenissima was anchored well away from Costa Deliziosa, and beyond a headland which was why she had been less visible from the town. The Costa ship's tenders departed directly from the foot of the cable car, and as I strolled to the opposite end of the quayside it became pleasantly peaceful. My instincts had been right - there was a tiny family-run taverna, and I sat happily at an outer table in the shade of an awning, able to order my ideal lunch of a simple plateful of grilled sardines and a glass of red wine.

View from the taverna

Serenissima and local tender boat

Comment

• Here is the magnificent view of Fira atop the volcanic cliffs, seen from Serenissima's anchorage.

Later the Captain decided that on our departure from the caldera we would make a circumnavigation around the 'outside' of the crescent-shaped island.

Comment

• It was delightful to be able to book a dinner table on the flag deck, as Serenissima
            bid farewell to Santorini and headed for the following day's destination in mainland Greece.

Comment

• Wonderful photos, Seagull. Especially the one looking up to Santorini's cliffs, looking as though it all happened recently!!

On the morning we went by Zodiac into Deception Is harbour, it was gloomy, very overcast and cold. But standing up on the caldera rim it had the effect of darkness and secrecy, which was quite atmospheric. We had to go in by Zodiac as one of the Akademik ships was there already and 2 vessels are not allowed in at the same time. The Polar Pioneer stood off the entrance, looking her usual splendid blue self. My photos of that morning were dark and not very exciting. (This was in 2002, so things may have changed, for better or for worse).

Comment

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you enjoyed the photos Nari, and for describing your own 'caldera experience' in Deception. I was there on my first Antarctica trip in 2005, with Hurtigruten on Nordnorge (pre-Fram). We were the only ship around. I have a couple of photos taken from the ship in the caldera with the rocks in sunlight, and looking so like that photo of Santorini! But having commenced the first boat landing, the weather suddenly changed and the scene darkened to atmospheric grey; moreover such was the direction of the wind that the landing group were instantly recalled, and Nordnorge battled dramatically through Neptune's bellows and away, or we might have been stranded there for days!

• Day 5 - 11th September 2015 – Nafplio. Greece.

Early morning on deck:

Comment

• Approaching Nafplio at sunrise

Captain Josip Padjen on the bridge wing

Sunlight and shadows - looking aft from the deckhouse observation platform

Comment

• In the morning the excursion had taken us to the archaeological site of Mycenae, about a forty minute drive away. The afternoon was free time. Nafplio is one of those marvellous places where the ship can dock right in the centre of the town right on the waterfront. The surroundings are pleasant for those wishing to relax on board the ship, or choosing to go ashore to eat, drink, shop or explore this charming town.

Comment

• Although I always find large busy industrial ports interesting, it is certainly nice to be able to see the ship against such a scenic backdrop.

Comment

• I took lunch on the ship, and afterwards spent some time wandering around and enjoying the views from every deck and in every direction!

Comment

• Seen in the above photo from deck 4, the view of Bourtzi has a little of Trondheim's Munkholmen about it, though with less green space and a more castellated fortress - though similarly accessible by small boat. But I had other plans for the afternoon, and, following a leisurely stroll around the nearby picturesque streets, took the lazy way (taxi rather than the 999 or so steps up the steep side!) to the highest fortress, Palamidi.

Comment

Working...
                        X