No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sure Tangier-dock-cat certainly gave the impression of recognising a traditional hurtigrute when he saw one!

Comment

I admire you for taking so many exciting excursions away from Serenissima.
      When I took my first round trip with Polarlys in July 1997, I didn’t leave the ship at all, except for short walks near the dock. I had no heart to leave her for excursions. I wanted to enjoy every possible minute of my journey onboard. I wanted full value for my money, so to speak. And it was very hard to disembark in Bergen after all those 11 days.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Noble Caledonia's prices include all the excursions so it really is 'full value for money' to go on them!
        But I can absolutely understand how you felt Sigve, disembarking from Polarlys in Bergen. I've just one more day to tell you about, before I say goodbye to Serenissima in Casablanca.

Comment

Day 17 - Casablanca, Morocco

It's the last day of the cruise. Serenissima is not expected to arrive in Casablanca until later in the morning, but I am up and about ahead of the sun!

Calm sea, warm air, glorious light.

Last edited by Seagull; March 31st, 2015, 14:56.

Comment

Eventually I did encounter another guest around on deck. He had spotted a container ship in the distance.

The chief officer was on the bridge where I’'d gone to check our progress.
            Later there would be more shipping to be seen and an interesting approach to the port, so after taking a couple of photos it seemed like a good time to go and have breakfast.

Last edited by Seagull; March 31st, 2015, 14:59.

Comment

The area around Casablanca is flat, and arriving by sea the first thing you discern on the horizon is truly a landmark modern building - a single vertical line that only slowly resolves into the minaret of the Hassan II Mosque.
              I didn't take this photo until later and closer. It is one not to scroll past quickly, but rather to pause and look and think about the number of floors in the still-under-construction high-rise blocks on the left of the photo ...and then look at the minaret. I had read about its height of 210 metres making it the tallest minaret, and indeed the tallest religious building, in the world, but such figures only really became meaningful to me during the ship's gradual approach to the port. (Checking the figure for the height while writing this, have I read that Algeria has plans for building a taller structure).

Comment

The pilot has arrived, and as the boat speeds away I can see that this is very much a constructed harbour rather than a natural one.

Captain and the pilot on the bridge.

Comment

Once we have passed the IMTC Meknes we are going to turn in to the left to our quay, opposite from the Costa cruise ship which has just come into view.

It turns out to be Costa Fortuna, and I take another photo before leaving the bridge wing clear for the crew for docking.

There are already two ships at the quay, and one is Sea Cloud II

Comment

Now for some interesting manoeuvres, for our berth is that space in between Sea Cloud II and the ship beyond, Coral Mermaid.

More of the guests are enjoying watching...

...but not everyone!
                    Last edited by Seagull; March 31st, 2015, 14:50.

Comment

No problem whatsoever for the wonderful Serenissima, Captain and crew - and the pilot looks pleased.

Comment

The view forward, in which I seem intent on including as many ships as possible including in the distance Marielle Bolton, and I even caught the pilot boat going off!

Ah, I couldn’'t fit Polesie in that last photo, and you also get a chance to view the stern of Costa Fortuna!

And for completeness, I head aft for a photo of Coral Mermaid.

Comment

Out comes our gangway.

Comment

Comment

Job done, our captain and officers get a moment to cast a professional eye over Sea Cloud II

Out on Serenissima's foredeck painting duties recommence.

Comment

What a wonderful morning!

And it's not quite over, for there's time for Kate's final lecture, entitled "The Pillars of Hercules", before lunch and the afternoon excursion.

Comment

Working...
                                X