No announcement yet.

ex HARALD JARL ::: ex ANDREA ::: SERENISSIMA :::

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never been to Tangier myself, at least as I remember, but this images certainly makes me want to experience it some day in the future. Very picturesque.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• I have to mention #1001/1 here: Such an outstanding picture. Look at the catamaran in the back like a visitor from a strange world. And how beautiful Serenissima fits into this harbour! And of course i like the market pictures, it must be big fun to buy something in this olive shop in #1004/2!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Thank you for your interesting comments, Tommi, pakarang and Ralf. I have the impression you will be among those wishing to participate in the afternoon walk! But first ...lunch!

Often when returning from a morning excursion and going through the dining room to leave things in my cabin, I would pass some people already tucking in to the buffet! Today however the dining room was deserted, and there was no sign of food or table settings. But, unlike the person following me who was mumbling about lunch being late, I had fully read the daily sheet and knew we were going to have a barbeque outside on the aft deck!

I took photos right away on the way to my cabin.

Comment

• Returning outside, people were starting to arrive and I sat at one of the tables seen here on deck 5. Up the steps, deck 6 was also set out and everyone could be accommodated out of doors.

The instant I had chosen a table, the always-efficient Marco appeared offering wine.

Having selected some ribs as well as chicken and baked potato I took a photo before getting a second plate for some salad. It was delightful sitting outdoors enjoying the sunshine and even a couple of boats and a departing ferry to watch.

Comment

• After a relaxed lunch the excursion resumes, taking us first to the English Church!

How intriguing to find that this Anglican church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and a further reference to Scotland in the saltire flag along with that of St George on the notice board.

Comment

• The surrounding churchyard is a peaceful place. Before entering the church I paused to take a photo of the shadows of exotic trees on the white walls.

What a delight! - an Anglican church building with a touch of Lutherian simplicity in a Moorish style! It dates from 1894, replacing a small building that had rapidly become too small for the growing ex-pat community. The Sultan of Morocco, Hassan I, originally donated the land in 1880.

There are a number of memorials here and in the graveyard, some famous names, all with an interesting story to tell.

Comment

• References to Christian texts in Arabic, including the Lord's Prayer, are incorporated in the design.

Comment

• It's November ...there was even a British Legion collection box with poppies...

After this memorable blend of cultures and faiths, leaving the churchyard of St. Andrew’s and stepping back into the noisy bustle outside is in itself another particular memory of that day. It was a Thursday, and on Thursdays and Sundays a local market is set up on the pavements right outside the church.

Naturally one needs to be sensitive and respectful regarding photography, particularly of women. The image below was to some extent fortuitous, for I had been taking our guide (in the cream coloured djellaba and maroon cap}.

Comment

• Moving on, you will perhaps recognise where we are from earlier - we now enter the Medina through that gateway, and take a route familiar to tourists. Indeed there are more stalls with tourist trinkets hereabouts, but I encountered none of the hassling and harassment that from many accounts plague some tourists. But we are in small groups, and it is not the height of summer when day trippers from Spain add to the already large numbers from the bigger cruise ships.

We are going for refreshments at what is undoubtedly mainly a tourist restaurant, but none the worse for that, and it has a picturesque interior oozing atmosphere. Musicians, a vast assortment of sweets and delicacies and of course mint tea - which I hope you can almost smell looking at the photo of it being poured!

Last edited by Seagull; March 21st, 2015, 21:31.

Comment

• Some portraits:

Comment

• This is a small square, the Petit Socco, with a varied history - from notable souk to fashionable hang out of the wealthy well-to-do as well as artists and writers, diplomats and spies,a post-1950’s sleazy slide into prostitution, crime and drug-dealing, and now a magnet for tourists!

Comment

• One reads much of 'corruption' and 'mafia' with regards to tourism in Tangier, touts, 'fake' guides and that sort of thing, though tour guides taking one to 'their' restaurants and shops is surely a common enough occurrence world wide. But Noble Caledonia had done us proud - no unexpected costs at the refreshment stops, and no hard sell at the carpet bazaar we saw next.

There do seem to be men who offer their services to official tour guides as 'sheep dog' to herd the tour groups. This could also be a way of liaising with local businesses, but again seemed wholly positive in our case. I had spotted the guy and watched him in action, and was totally impressed by his abilities. He had a rather more visible up-front role later in the walking tour when there was a possibility of splitting the group for those wanting to walk farther back towards the ship, and his cheery call to action when rounding up the walkers - "Group number 2 chop chop" - remains an enduring aural memory of a pleasant afternoon.

Comment

• Overlooking the port is the Hotel Continental which opened in 1872, still a hotel though said to be well past its glory days as 'the' place to stay in Tangier.

Comment

• Back on board, I narrowly missed a charming photo of a cat standing on an arrow mark on the quay and looking intently along it at the ship. He then proceeded to walk first fore then aft, and, although pausing in the vicinity of the gangway, seemed to me more shipspotter than stowaway!

Sunset, and soon it will be time for Serenissima to depart.

Comment

• That cat might have been the ghost or reincarnation of the famous TORVIK- dock cat, that passed away many years ago.

I'm sure you remember the cat at Torvik which came down to the Hurtigruten ships each day they came in to port.
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sigve
                                  Sigve commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The Torvik cats is properly described in Sigve's Gallery, page 37.
                              Working...
                              X